• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Honda CRV v. Toyota Rav4 v. Subaru Forester

highpeaksdrifter

I’ve test drove all 3 and done the internet research and I think I’ve made up my mine, but I’d like to here from anyone who owns or has an informed opinion on any of these models. My main concerns would be handling winter conditions and storage.

I presently own a 2004 Honda CRV.

Hawkshot99

I just replaced my 98' CRV with a new truck. It was a good vehicle, AWESOME in the snow.

My mother just got a 09' CRV around X-Mas and she says she likes it alot. I have only driven it once, but it seemed to have real nice power for a 4 cylinder. The front seats are some of the most comfortable I have sat in.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I owned at 2003 Rav4 L 4WD and loved it. No problems getting out in the snow. The only reason I gave it to my mother was my company gave me personal use over an Escape Hybrid 4WD, which the later just gave me. Storage was sometimes cramped, but the current Rav4 is longer. I didn't really like they way the seats fold up either. The swing-arm back door was cool, but there were times when I wished I could just pop open the glass to put small items in the back.

It will be interesting to me in a 4-5 years when it's time to replace the escape what power plants cars will be using. That said, I would get another hybrid.

RISkier

I was shopping this class of vehicles in November 07. When I test drove the Honda I had to stop a couple of times at women's clothing stores to try on dresses. IMO, not a bad vehicle but the consummate soccer mom vehicle. I test drove the RAV-V at least 3 times. Always wanted to love it. Always thought it would do everything I needed. But I never loved it. I liked the 08 Subie but it lacked some things I thought I wanted and I knew the 09 was on the horizon. Test drove a Nissan Rogue and thought yes. Test drove it again and basically decided to buy one. Found a decent deal and did. I've been very happy with it. That said, it doesn't have as much storage (not critical to me). Of the three you're comparing, I'd go for the Subie. Very functional design. The squarish design makes the cubic feet of storage very useable. Probably the best all wheel drive system on the market. Does very well in safety tests. Subies do tend to have some quirkiness but if I were shopping today it would be Rogue versus Forester.

MR. evil

You really can't go wrong with any Honda or Toyota. I know a bunch of people with Subaru's and they all love them. But ALL of them have had mechanical issues with the vehicles around the 24 to 36 month mark. I would go on the ConsumerReports web site and purchase one of there vehicle reports to get the low down on all 3.

Edd

Just rented an 09 RAV4 for a week. I like the space, it was super functional for ski trips and the 4 cylinder was surprisingly torquey. There was more road noise than I'd prefer. When I got back into my old 02 Legacy wagon I realized for sure it has a more solid feel than the RAV4. I read reviews frequently and Subaru's ride is highly regarded. The reliability of the brand is well documented. I bet you're planning to buy the Forester.

In 2010 the Ouback/Legacy line is all new, with more space.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll beat the Hyundai drum and tell you to at least give a Tuscon a test drive. I personally feel that in the past few years Hyundai has matched Toyota and Honda for reliability, but come at a cheaper price tag with better warranty.

I test drove Camry, Accord and Sonata. Sonata had all the same features, drove better and cost several thousand less for the same trim and had the better warranty. 2.5 years and 65K miles in, zero complaints on the car. I'm sure I'd feel the same way for one of their small SUV's.

bobbutts

Still love my 05 Forester XT.. big redesign between that one and the current version so not sure how much my love applies.

tjf67

Crv

We have an 07 CRV. It gets 25 MPG. Handles well in the snow. Solid feal.

The tires wear that come from the company in 30k miles.
Cabin could be a little quieter.

Overall very good vehicle.

Philpug

Subies by far have the best AWD system out if the bunch. Having owned close to 15 of them and another 2 dozen in family and friends, only one had issues between 24 and 36 months. I have a 09 Forester and for the most part it has done 110% of what is promised.

skijay

This is what I have been doing for a month!!

I am going with the Forester (09 Premium - can not decide between 5 speed or automatic)

What I like about the Subaru:
AWD system - not a glorified traction control system.
Ground clearance
For $24,000 - You can get a Forester with heated seats, and the huge sunroof plus the power stuff.
Subaru offers a 5 speed manual.

What I do not like:
I looked at the maintenance schedule of the 09 Subaru and it requires plugs & brake fluid to be changed at 30K. I thought most vehicles go 100k before a tune up.

After driving the CRV, XC70, X3, Rav4, Santa Fe, Torrent, Equinox, VUE, Outback, Escape, Rogue, the Subaru impressed me the most, plus it is inexpensive!

Philpug

This is what I have been doing for a month!!

I am going with the Forester (09 Premium - can not decide between 5 speed or automatic)

What I like about the Subaru:
AWD system - not a glorified traction control system.
Ground clearance
For $24,000 - You can get a Forester with heated seats, and the huge sunroof plus the power stuff.
Subaru offers a 5 speed manual.

What I do not like:
I looked at the maintenance schedule of the 09 Subaru and it requires plugs & brake fluid to be changed at 30K. I thought most vehicles go 100k before a tune up.

After driving the CRV, XC70, X3, Rav4, Santa Fe, Torrent, Equinox, VUE, Outback, Escape, Rogue, the Subaru impressed me the most, plus it is inexpensive!

Get the stick if you can, I have the auto and should have too. Yes, the plugs need to be done at 30, but they are cheap, not expensive platinums. Also, a non interference motor for the timing belt.

roark

I drove all of the above (2005 model year). And bought a Mitsuibishi Outlander LS AWD (Manual).

Philpug

With the AWD system, it will be pretty sluggish with an automatic. It's also only a 4 speed automatic in a day & age where most cars have 5 or 6 speeds.

I've got an Outback with 5 speed. Had in the shop for brakes and they gave me a loaner. Basically the same car but with auto. It felt lifeless and underpowered. Autos suck.

Yeah, the auto is a 4 speed and a dawg.