• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Banning a person for derogatory comments about a spouse!

highpeaksdrifter

Funny thing is, folks such as yourself, 2knees, your loving hubby, Greg, all say how I say bad things about this site. Yet right from the start, it is in fact you guys that say things about me and my site. Couple of examples:

HPD comes up with an idea for a competition between AZ and NS, 2knees comes on here and posts it. I get attacked for pushing my site.

Your loving hubby points to a political picture and says he sees nothing political about it, I get the banning stick put in front of my face and am told to take this crap to my site, sorry for having an opinion, but it is he and you who mentioned my site.

HPD makes a mention about white bread threads on this site, I get blamed for it.

Hmmm..... funny how it works on here. I know tell me to take it to my site..

This post makes me come off as a troll.

The BUMP comp was an idea for a friendly at WF with a tie into Wurpdaddy day, that I posted on NSchat, 2knees thought it sounded like fun so he posted it here. From there all hell broke loose.

As far as white bread threads go I was talking about threads like How many days will you ski in a month. I never said there was anything wrong with them, just not my cup of tea. GSS was populating NSchat with them and I pointed out we don't need to try to turn it into another AZ cause there already is one of them and I like that NS is a different alternative.

Madroch

Yawn... doesn't this ever get old... even older than my beloved sundown threads- at least those are skiing related.

Last edited:

BLESS

Spend some time on Epic or SkiDiva--both are much more moderated than AZ. I don't state that as a complaint, but more as a fact. They have higher standards for their social interaction, hence why they are both described as being more civil.

There are options for a reason. Nobody is forcing anybody to post here. You can't please everyone--if you're not happy here, then it's probably not the right fit. Good thing there are alternatives then. (Have fun with that, Andy.)

I never said I wasnt happy here....this place serves a purpose for me. It help with my ski jones by reading the trip reports, since I just cant go more than a couple times a year. I dont like the fact its so cliquey....and so moderated, but I deal with it....who am I to tell anyone what to do? Its not my site. I think that there certainly could be room for political debate...or any debate for that matter. Has any thought been given for an "un-moderated" section? wouldnt that make everyone happy? It doesnt matter to me.....just a suggestion.

2knees

I never said I wasnt happy here....this place serves a purpose for me. It help with my ski jones by reading the trip reports, since I just cant go more than a couple times a year. I dont like the fact its so cliquey....and so moderated, but I deal with it....who am I to tell anyone what to do? Its not my site. I think that there certainly could be room for political debate...or any debate for that matter. Has any thought been given for an "un-moderated" section? wouldnt that make everyone happy? It doesnt matter to me.....just a suggestion.

could you be more specific with the cliquey comments? Is it the sundown stuff? and as far as an unmoderated section, great idea but I would just about guarantee that the sewage would overflow into the other sub forums. human nature unfortunately.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think that there certainly could be room for political debate...or any debate for that matter. Has any thought been given for an "un-moderated" section? wouldnt that make everyone happy? It doesnt matter to me.....just a suggestion.

The problem with opening up topics like political or religious debate is that the threads almost ALWAYS turn into drawn out name calling crapola. It's a function of how divided people are and how passionate they can be about the two subjects. Hell, candidates can't eliminate the mud slinging themselves on TV and often result to lies and insults.

The problem with having an un-moderated subforum is that what goes on there ends up spilling over into the other forums, which ultimately requires even MORE moderation. You already see it here with arguments that happen on Andy's site spilling over onto this site.

Greg set up this site for people to not only talk about outdoor pursuits in an environment that is welcoming to all, but also to meet in 3D and enjoy those pursuits. I for one think it's a great forum and thought it was run very well for the few years I was a member before being asked to be a moderator. The 'rules' are in place to keep things civil. Why certain members feel the need to 'fight the man' makes no sense to me at all. There are hundreds if not thousands of un-moderated sites on the internet. Some based around skiing. TGR comes to mind.

As for the 'cliqueness'. I find that as a sign of success for the sites intended purpose of people getting together and having fun outdoors and developing 'real' offline friendships.

BLESS

yeah the sundown thing comes to mind....it also seems like people really steer toward sugarbush....in other words, those seems to be the sites "favorites"... I have no problems with the cliques.....i can see its a good thing....but it makes people like me feel like an outsider sometimes...not that I care really, lol. I think its good a lot of you have met each other & become friends.

I guess I can see an unmoderated section would spill into other sections...but then youd have a clear reason to ban. You wanna talk about whatever, then keep it in the one section its allowed....otherwise your out. It would be black & white.

Greg

Staff member
I dont like the fact its so cliquey....and so moderated

I guess I get the cliquey thing. You have to understand though, many of us are good friends offline too so naturally, we're going to have inside jokes and talk about things as personal friends sometimes. It might come off as cliquey but I don't think the groups are exclusive to other members.

I still laugh at the "over-moderated" thing. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion though. The reality is, we are more lax than we used to be. The whole point of the moderation was to make it so anyone and everyone feels comfortable posting here. I've always said that and it's proven to be a good approach so far. If you take a close look at the policies, which have been in place for many years, I think they are pretty reasonable. The overall gist is "don't post anything you wouldn't say to someone's face." I don't know why people struggle with that so much, especially those that have been members here for years who already know how this place operates. I think it's partly an attention grabbing thing, this whole anti-establishment crusade, that is.

Has any thought been given for an "un-moderated" section? wouldnt that make everyone happy? It doesnt matter to me.....just a suggestion.

We considered it. We opted not be because undoubtedly the flame wars would spill over into other forums. Too little benefit for that headache. Again, we've found a formula that works so we decided to stick with it.

The reality is if you act here like you would in any other public forum, there should be no problem.

Greg

Staff member
Sorry I said the same thing as the other guys. I was preoccupied while writing my post.

tjf67

could you be more specific with the cliquey comments? Is it the sundown stuff? and as far as an unmoderated section, great idea but I would just about guarantee that the sewage would overflow into the other sub forums. human nature unfortunately.

I will give you my take on it twiggy.

1/ new people to this site have to have thick skin. They are harassed by know it alls from the get go.

2/ There are some mods that dont mod, more push there opinion in a very non friendly way. They dont practice what they preach. Good example is profanity.

3/ Me thinks Andy aught to take that olive branch and shove it right up your arse. You are a smart ass punk that needs his clock cleaned. You take advantage of your friendship with the mods. you should have been banned long ago. That said i have fun with punks so keep it up:razz:
4/ Deadhead is the worst Mod I have come across. He is opinionated, brash, volgar and vindictave. All qualities a mod need to keep in check.:dunce:

SkiDork

but then youd have a clear reason to ban. You wanna talk about whatever, then keep it in the one section its allowed....otherwise your out. It would be black & white.

Black and white is not possible when moderating a forum, no matter how hard you try to set things up that way...

SkiDork

1/ new people to this site have to have thick skin. They are harassed by know it alls from the get go.

I actually don't see that at all. Maybe because I'm using TGR as the example of real harsh hazing on a forum?

deadheadskier

Staff member

2/ There are some mods that dont mod, more push there opinion in a very non friendly way. They dont practice what they preach. Good example is profanity.

3/ Me thinks Andy aught to take that olive branch and shove it right up your arse. You are a smart ass punk that needs his clock cleaned. You take advantage of your friendship with the mods. you should have been banned long ago. That said i have fun with punks so keep it up:razz:
4/ Deadhead is the worst Mod I have come across. He is opinionated, brash, volgar and vindictave. All qualities a mod need to keep in check.:dunce:

thanks for the feedback. I'll work on my short comings just for you sweety!

:rolleyes:

2knees

you should have been banned long ago.

now that's funny coming from you. you want to kick my ass, thats one thing, but look in the mirror on this one. Your trolling act has gone on unabated for over 2 years.

Glenn

Based on some of the comments in this thread...I wonder if I'm reading the same forum others have referenced. Over moderated? Newbies need a thick skin? Wut? Do you people visit other sites on the interweb?

BLESS

yes I do. I dont like moderation at all....im a little biased I guess. I always felt that people should be able to say whatever they see fit. If ya dont like it...tell that person or dont read it.

tjf67

now that's funny coming from you. you want to kick my ass, thats one thing, but look in the mirror on this one. Your trolling act has gone on unabated for over 2 years.

I certainly do run up to the line but I dont cross it. I I did I would be gone. You overshoot the mark at least once a month.

PS. I dont want to kick your arse. I think it needs to be but that is a job for a girl so at least you got a chance.:daffy:

Beetlenut

You are a smart ass punk that needs his clock cleaned.

PS. I dont want to kick your arse. I think it needs to be but that is a job for a girl so at least you got a chance.:daffy:
Wow, the Internet-Bully AND the Internet-Pussy all rolled into one! You really are a Piece of Work aren't you! You and Andy should get a room!

campgottagopee

This post makes me come off as a troll.

The BUMP comp was an idea for a friendly at WF with a tie into Wurpdaddy day, that I posted on NSchat, 2knees thought it sounded like fun so he posted it here. From there all hell broke loose.

As far as white bread threads go I was talking about threads like How many days will you ski in a month. I never said there was anything wrong with them, just not my cup of tea. GSS was populating NSchat with them and I pointed out we don't need to try to turn it into another AZ cause there already is one of them and I like that NS is a different alternative.

HPD, peeps know better----I'd say don't worry about it (not that you would).