• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Clipless pedal suggestions/opinions

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Ok, all pedals worth using have tension adjustment. That goes for road pedals too.

/snark
//lighten up, Francis

Umm...I use the Speedplay X2's for the road. 25 degrees of free float...no adjustments and I love them!

62-4084-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

roark

I like crank bros, have the candy c's. eggbeaters do suck - hard to click back in on the fly without a platform.

mondeo

I hate my Look Keos. Always seem to be on the wrong side when the light goes green at a busy intersection.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I just bought the Crank Bros pedals the keep showing up on chainlove. Now I gotta get some shoes. Tried on some Pearl Izumi and Shimano's...both fit pretty well.

bvibert

Staff member
I just bought the Crank Bros pedals the keep showing up on chainlove. Now I gotta get some shoes. Tried on some Pearl Izumi and Shimano's...both fit pretty well.

I've been tempted by those too. Let us know how you like them...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I hate my Look Keos. Always seem to be on the wrong side when the light goes green at a busy intersection.

Know how I know you're new to road biking? :dunce:

J/k, lighten up Francis, etc. etc.

I find weighted pedals pretty darn easy to get into. They're like that for a reason. Just takes a little practice.

mondeo

Know how I know you're new to road biking? :dunce:

J/k, lighten up Francis, etc. etc.

I find weighted pedals pretty darn easy to get into. They're like that for a reason. Just takes a little practice.
Been road biking for a couple years now, thank you very much. It's MTB that I'm new to.

I think I might need to lube them or something. Problem is after the first downstroke, they take half a second to right themselves. When I've got traffic around me and I'm just trying to get through an intersection as quickly as possible, I sometimes rush it too much and they're not in the easy-to-step-into position yet. Which leads to stepping on the bottoms, just prolonging the issue.

Might need new cleats, though. Don't have the same positive engagement feel as they used to.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I find starting in a higher gear helps with that problem, typically on flats or slight inclines I start in 50-21, sometimes 50-19 if it's a decline. Since one normally starts with the strong foot in the forward horiz position (sometimes I go slightly above horiz), by the time the weak side crank is at the top, I'm clipping in, and since it doesn't start with a quick jerk due to the high gear the pedal stays vertical and is easy to get into. Doesn't take long to get the rpm's up, and possibly as quick as starting in a lower gear because you don't have to shift and you're not fumbling for your pedal.

wa-loaf

Been road biking for a couple years now, thank you very much. It's MTB that I'm new to.

I think I might need to lube them or something. Problem is after the first downstroke, they take half a second to right themselves. When I've got traffic around me and I'm just trying to get through an intersection as quickly as possible, I sometimes rush it too much and they're not in the easy-to-step-into position yet. Which leads to stepping on the bottoms, just prolonging the issue.

Might need new cleats, though. Don't have the same positive engagement feel as they used to.

Learn to do a track stand then you won't have to click out. ;-)

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like a nice shoe. I love the delayed delivery option, it's not good on my wallet though...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The delayed delivery option on any of the deal of the moment sites hasn't "paid off" (for lack of a better term) for me yet. No harm in trying though.

o3jeff

The delayed delivery option on any of the deal of the moment sites hasn't "paid off" (for lack of a better term) for me yet. No harm in trying though.

Hasn't paid off for me either. I wish you could combine the shipping from all the sites.