• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wow, so much for finder's keepers, loser's weepers. :eek: I guess that type of bad PR move is an indication that the lost iPhone was not planted as an "accidental" lost early release but really gross negligence on the part of an employee.

Back to the iPad, of course they sold a cool mill to all the Apple Fanboys out there. Any time Apple launches a new product, Apple fans are going to rush out and buy it whether it is worth the asking price or not. An innovative first step but NOT the game changer that the iPod and iPhone have been. Still too many issues and limitations for the price. IMO, Apple left the door wide open for another company to deliver a much better and truly game changing tablet. At the current price point, it is too expensive for what it does and over laps but doesn't have the power to be a laptop replacement... its sandwiched in the middle of other existing devices.

dmc

It's finding niches in it's current state..

My sister-in-law says there quite a few Docs adopting them at the hospital..

dmc

Wow, so much for finder's keepers, loser's weepers.

Yeah... But... If you find something in a bar - you should leave it with the bar and not take it.
I think there are actually laws in Cali that support that..

Dude brought it home... Apple wants their IP potentially stored on PCs.. Heavy handed... maybe?

Glenn

BlackBerry is rumored to be developing something similar to the iPad. I'd be interested in that.

dmc

BlackBerry is rumored to be developing something similar to the iPad. I'd be interested in that.

I'd like to check that out too...

The CTO from my old job showed me his IBM pad/laptop... Pretty cool.. But REALLY expensive..

Glenn

Lots happening with phones now too. New iPhone coming out, Driod OS is getting popular and BlackBerry is bringing out a new OS.

I'm still amazed at what you can do a smartphone now. I've mentioned it before; with internet radio over 3G and podcasts, I hardly ever listen to local radio in the Jeep anymore.

dmc

Lots happening with phones now too. New iPhone coming out, Driod OS is getting popular and BlackBerry is bringing out a new OS.

Exciting times.... :)

I'm stoked for the new IPhone 4.0... I can get work to pay for it so I'm waiting..

Was checking out a Droid the other day... It's pretty nice.. It's not an option for work however...

mondeo

The iPad (and other things like it) won't be what consumers want until the hardware capability gets there. It'll be a year or so (check out AMD's Bobcat architecture, pretty cool stuff. And by cool I mean nerdy.)

It's not innovation. Tablets have been around for a long time, they just haven't been mobile enough. iPad's mobile enough, just not powerful enough. The hardware capability just isn't there yet, but Apple's the only one willing to release a product that isn't ready in order to capitalize on being first.

dmc

If I could run VMWare on the IPad I'd get one today... :)

midd

Back to the iPad, of course they sold a cool mill to all the Apple Fanboys out there. Any time Apple launches a new product, Apple fans are going to rush out and buy it whether it is worth the asking price or not.

they sold a million of them at your unworthy price point, in the midst of a shitty economy twice as quickly as they sold the first million iphones. that's legit.

wa-loaf

An innovative first step but NOT the game changer that the iPod and iPhone have been. Still too many issues and limitations for the price. IMO, Apple left the door wide open for another company to deliver a much better and truly game changing tablet. At the current price point, it is too expensive for what it does and over laps but doesn't have the power to be a laptop replacement... its sandwiched in the middle of other existing devices.

It's not innovation. Tablets have been around for a long time, they just haven't been mobile enough. iPad's mobile enough, just not powerful enough. The hardware capability just isn't there yet, but Apple's the only one willing to release a product that isn't ready in order to capitalize on being first.

This is all stuff that was said about the iPod when it first came out. There were other mp3 players with more capacity or features than the iPod. Apple just puts it together better than anyone else.

WakeboardMom

So I have a new iPod...my son won an iPodTouch in a raffle at work. He didn't want it, so he gave it to me. Previously, my husband and I had identical 2nd generation Nano's. I was excited to take the iPod Touch on vacation; battery ran out, I attempted to charge it with the same charger as the Nano. (Obviously I didn't read any of the literature that goes along with the new player.)

When the charger didn't work, I went to the Apple store and asked if I needed a new, different wall-charger. "Yes, ma'am, we no longer support that older charger." Gotta love semantics. "WE NO LONGER SUPPORT..."

Hilarious. Why don't they just call a spade, a spade? "Planned obsolescence." Sweet. They got another 30 bucks outta me for the charger.

wa-loaf

Hilarious. Why don't they just call a spade, a spade? "Planned obsolescence." Sweet. They got another 30 bucks outta me for the charger.

Isn't that really your fault for forgetting the correct charger at home? It's not like they sell them separately. Buy a new iPod and it comes with a charger.

WakeboardMom

Isn't that really your fault for forgetting the correct charger at home? It's not like they sell them separately. Buy a new iPod and it comes with a charger.

I didn't attempt to buy it on vacation. I sucked it up and went without my music. ; - )
I didn't forget the charger; was just not on top of things and assumed the one I brought with me would work for iPod Nano and iPod Touch.

I'm talking about a charger that goes into the electrical outlet, NOT the one that goes into a computer. I have two of these AC chargers for the Nanos; one for each house. The ones that work for the Nano do NOT work for the iTouch. I think that sucks. "We no longer support those types of chargers." That's BS.