• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often to replace a mattress

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Back spasms thread got me wondering, how often? I've had mine now for ~6 years. I'm pretty sure it's still good although I do wake up stiff most mornings. (TWSS)

Edd

Tempurpedic. I like sleep. IMHO, worth the $$.

We're buying a Bob-o-Pedic very soon. I slept on one at a friend's place awhile back. Didn't notice anything different about it and I was unaware it wasn't a regular mattress but I slept hard all night. That's rare for me.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
We're buying a Bob-o-Pedic very soon. I slept on one at a friend's place awhile back. Didn't notice anything different about it and I was unaware it wasn't a regular mattress but I slept hard all night. That's rare for me.

He said Hard. :).

Go big. I definitely dig the space age foam. I see the ads for the Bob-o-Pedic looks very solid. Will you please keep me posted here about your experience>?

legalskier

Back spasms thread got me wondering, how often? I've had mine now for ~6 years. I'm pretty sure it's still good although I do wake up stiff most mornings. (TWSS)

We flip our mattress every 6 months, which extends its life. It's a standard design but we added a memory foam mattress topper from Costco that made a big difference.
If you're considering a new mattress check out Sleep Number. Initially I thought it was a gimmick but everyone I know who has one is very happy with it. You can even take a test drive in one of their stores at the mall.

You might try stretching in the morning for your back. I have the same issue and it helps me.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You mean you're not supposed to hang on to the same mattress til it falls apart? ;) Ours is cheap and 13 years old--well overdue for replacement.

Hawkshot99

Depends on the quality of the mattress. The one my parents got me when I first moved up to a twin size bed lasted me till I was 22. Then they had me throw it away when moving and got me a new , but cheap mattress. It was garbage in 2 years.

I hope the queen I bought last spring lasts awhile.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tempurpedic here as well and love it... It took me over a week to get used to it and I slept horribly that week. Now its very comfortable. We got ours through overstock.com. and couldn't be happier. Mattress prior to this was at least 10 years old and I was always waking up with back pain the last year or two. Not anymore!

Geoff

Tempurpedic. I like sleep. IMHO, worth the $$.

Tempur-Pedic gets about as many glowing reviews as it does total slams and store returns. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect mattress for everybody. A lot of people hate memory foam mattresses.

I use a conventional inner spring pillow top Sealy Posturepedic. I'm not going to recommend that any more than I'd recommend my brand of ski boot.

I think you're "supposed to" replace your mattress every 10 years. I've put 20 years on a mattress but between skiing and business travel, I'm probably only using my bed half the time. I have no idea if the memory foam ones last longer.

drjeff

I will now more often than I used too! My "old" mattress that was at my house was replaced, since my wife was having some back pains after sleeping on it (it was about 15 yrs old at the time), but I didn't think that I had any problems sleeping on it. When we got a new mattress (Seally inner coil, extra firm with a big pillow top on it), we brought the "old" mattress upto our place in VT to replace the mattress up there that both my wife and I agreed wasn't the most comfortable for us.

Well, after sleeping on the new mattress and still sleeping about 80-100 nights a year still on the old mattress, I never realized how much the old matress needed replacing! We now wrote in permanent marker on the side of the mattess when we bought it and will likely stick a bit closer to the 10yr replacement timeframe. This seems to be further backed up when we stay in some hotels where we know that they've undergone a complete room renovation within the past few years, as those mattresses feel better than our old one, and almost as good as our new one

ctenidae

The high school here was holding a fundraiser recently selling mattresses. I'm guessing that's not an annual event.

darent

Paul on TV says every 8 years, then he proceeds to vacuum a mattress and shows you the dirt ,dust mites and human skin cells that he says doubles the mattresses weight in those 8 years, I immediately thru our mattress out the door and now sleep on the floor!

ctenidae

Paul on TV says every 8 years, then he proceeds to vacuum a mattress and shows you the dirt ,dust mites and human skin cells that he says doubles the mattresses weight in those 8 years, I immediately thru our mattress out the door and now sleep on the floor!

You should see how much dirt is on your floor.