• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's your DIN setting?

skiNEwhere

For normal skiing I stay on 10. If I plan on hucking cliffs though I'll crank it up to 12

skiNEwhere

well that was unnecessary, if that offends you then you don't have to answer

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'll throw up the pant size poll ;)

I'm actually not sure what I'm set at. ... will check and report back

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gmcunni

turn-the-volume-up-to-11.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
well that was unnecessary, if that offends you then you don't have to answer
No, it was necessary. It doesn't offend me so much as concerns me. Sharing DINs is no more relevant than comparing pant sizes or shoe sizes and at worst it could be dangerous if some idiot gets into a "this one goes to 11" cock waving competition. If you want to debate the merits of trusting the manufacturer charts that ski techs use, go for it. Posting numbers is at best no different than posting pant sizes and at worst could instigate someone to do something stupid.

I'm on the tech installed mark for someone my weight, age, and III+ ability. I don't crank it up for cliff jumps and I don't pre-release. I ain't posting my number... I don't want any one to feel inferior because they need to crank theirs up to feel secure. :D

〽❄❅

http://www.dinsetting.com/index.htm

DIN Setting Calculator puts me at 5.5 DIN.

I rented demo skis all of last season, shop guys set 'em up/ 6.5 DIN.

If i go with Look Pivot 14 bindings on this years new skis i'll go with a 5.5 DIN.

Considering giving the Knee binding a try as i had a partially torn MCL years ago and allot of trouble with the cartilage gliding surface softening, all of which kept me from skiing for over two decades! Only it's hard to get past the idea of a 36mm stack height/6mm delta or 6mm of plastic toe lifter shims.

Puck it

No, it was necessary. It doesn't offend me so much as concerns me. Sharing DINs is no more relevant than comparing pant sizes or shoe sizes and at worst it could be dangerous if some idiot gets into a "this one goes to 11" cock waving competition. If you want to debate the merits of trusting the manufacturer charts that ski techs use, go for it. Posting numbers is at best no different than posting pant sizes and at worst could instigate someone to do something stupid.

I'm on the tech installed mark for someone my weight, age, and III+ ability. I don't crank it up for cliff jumps and I don't pre-release. I ain't posting my number... I don't want any one to feel inferior because they need to crank theirs up to feel secure. :D

I agree with your comments but you did come off a bit harsh. Could have been a little more tackful.

bvibert

Staff member

Indeed. I go with what the chart says and leave it at that. I don't pre-release.

There's nothing harsh about that.

Puck it

Indeed. I go with what the chart says and leave it at that. I don't pre-release.

There's nothing harsh about that.

The tone was harsh not the comments. Riv does come off like that at times especially to newbies. I am not saying he was wrong.

bvibert

Staff member
The tone was harsh not the comments. Riv does come off like that at times especially to newbies. I am not saying he was wrong.

I'm not sure how you can detect tone over the internet? His post seemed innocuous to me.