• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski NY

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It's not even close. ADK's are much better than Cats. It's not even the same game.

This is the pic you saw, I think.

attachment.php

I was almost going to say that looks suspiciously like the top of Burke's Willoughby quad. However the chair itself is slightly different.

DSC01239.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BenedictGomez

I had no idea the Pineys were so clever!!

Pineys go to the beach?

Na, Jersey heads south now.

It's an exodus. I think my entire graduating class is now in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Virginia. Currently, 2/3 of Jersey moves are out of state (highest in America).

Coincidentally, Vermont's also one of the worst states in America from an affordability standpoint, so NJ & VT share that in common.

Rowsdower

Pineys go to the beach?

It's an exodus. I think my entire graduating class is now in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Virginia. Currently, 2/3 of Jersey moves are out of state (highest in America).

Coincidentally, Vermont's also one of the worst states in America from an affordability standpoint, so NJ & VT share that in common.

It's getting ridiculous here. The problem with Jersey is that you can get pretty much the same QOL in any state at half the price. The proximity to NYC is a killer for cost, plus the state wastes money like no other.

They're replacing all the curbs on the main drag in NB with granite and Belgian block while I swerve to avoid potholes on my way to work... priorities...

Needless to say, once I get my degree I'll probably move back to PA.

BenedictGomez

It's getting ridiculous here. The problem with Jersey is that you can get pretty much the same QOL in any state at half the price. The proximity to NYC is a killer for cost, plus the state wastes money like no other.

It's going to get worse. Highest property taxes in America, and 2nd-place isnt in the rear-view mirror. It's long-term financial destruction for your family, and it will get worse.

With all the people and businesses "fleeing" the state, taxes will have to be raised on the "survivors" to sustain the spending, which will never stop. The government pensions are unfunded beyond any possible realistic financial escape. It's an unsustainable financial situation, and we're not alone. The only question remaining is, who goes bankrupt first, California, Illinois, Michigan, or New Jersey?

Needless to say, once I get my degree I'll probably move back to PA.

Yes, eastern PA is another "boomtown" fueled by native New Jersey folks "escaping". I'm taking a good look at moving there. I wont buy a home in New Jersey, it's financial suicide. Paying $10,000 per year just in property taxes alone? No thanks. I will (relatively) soon be another New Jersey resident fleeing financial persecution. Looking seriously at Bucks, Lehigh, and Northampton Counties in PA.

Edd

It's going to get worse. Highest property taxes in America, and 2nd-place isnt in the rear-view mirror. It's long-term financial destruction for your family, and it will get worse.

With all the people and businesses "fleeing" the state, taxes will have to be raised on the "survivors" to sustain the spending, which will never stop. The government pensions are unfunded beyond any possible realistic financial escape. It's an unsustainable financial situation, and we're not alone. The only question remaining is, who goes bankrupt first, California, Illinois, Michigan, or New Jersey?

Yes, eastern PA is another "boomtown" fueled by native New Jersey folks "escaping". I'm taking a good look at moving there. I wont buy a home in New Jersey, it's financial suicide. Paying $10,000 per year just in property taxes alone? No thanks. I will (relatively) soon be another New Jersey resident fleeing financial persecution. Looking seriously at Bucks, Lehigh, and Northampton Counties in PA.

My god, it sounds like everyone down there should just kill themselves. You paint a dark picture.

VTKilarney

At the risk of getting too political, one thing that pisses me off is that the baby boomer generation is going to leave this country worse off than they found it. While there may be some geo-political reasons that were beyond their control, the reality is that they are going to live off of their social security and defined benefit pensions while the rest of us figure out how to pay for their benefits long after they are gone.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm far more concerned with the financial burden that generations following the boomers will place on society. The savings rate and debt burdens of those generations are much worse. They may not have the same pension and health benefit burdens, but they will have a huge burden on welfare benefits and they will be living longer.

4aprice

My god, it sounds like everyone down there should just kill themselves.

:lol: I think about it everyday. j/k Wow what a thread hijack from NY skiing to Jersey bs. Not much I disagree with BG or RD about what's going on here, it's a circus. It's a shame too because it really is a decent place to live with the advantages of NYC and Philly next door. I too am looking for that exit outta here but it won't be for a little while and it won't be PA.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

What is the average mill rate in Jersey?

Dunno, but the average property tax is something like $6,800. But when you consider all the little urban homes that pay far less than that and bring the average down, you're really at something more akin to $8,000 or more if you want a nice home in Jersey. Now add State income tax, Federal income tax, sales tax, etc.... Unless you're wealthy there wont be much left.

My god, it sounds like everyone down there should just kill themselves. You paint a dark picture.

My financial prognostication for America in general would make you slit your wrists. I used to be paid to predict the future so I spent (and still spend) a lot of time thinking about economics at 30,000 feet. The thing that angers me, is this financial Armageddon is entirely predictable, but nobody will do anything about it because of politics. And it's not just New Jersey; Illinois, California, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, etc.... are all heading off a cliff, and very few people even realize it.

I'm far more concerned with the financial burden that generations following the boomers will place on society. The savings rate and debt burdens of those generations are much worse. They may not have the same pension and health benefit burdens, but they will have a huge burden on welfare benefits and they will be living longer.

Just wait until they start retiring in droves, and their "replacements" in the work force are encumbered by record student-debt. Yeah, that $108,000 Degree in Art History or Philosophy etc... was a great idea. Not to mention, they have the highest unemployment rate and are missing out on valuable experience as that principal is growing. People tend not realize, these youngsters eventually become "first time homebuyers", which is a CRUCIAL component of the US housing market. That component will be largely absent/depressed 5 to 10 years from now, etc...

steamboat1

Believe it or not living in NYC itself can be pretty reasonable. Yes rents are high as is the cost of buying a house. There's no escaping high rents but if you bought a house & payed off the mortgage real estate taxes are actually pretty low. Cost of living isn't bad either as some might believe. I actually find that the cost of staples in VT. are higher than where I live in the city.

Smellytele

Dunno, but the average property tax is something like $6,800. But when you consider all the little urban homes that pay far less than that and bring the average down, you're really at something more akin to $8,000 or more if you want a nice home in Jersey. Now add State income tax, Federal income tax, sales tax, etc.... Unless you're wealthy there wont be much left.

Well here in central NH my house I pay 6500 and my house is only valued at ~210,000. I am sure you couldn't buy a shack in NJ for that. The bonus is we do not have sales or state income tax.

deadheadskier

Staff member
$8K isn't so bad given the value of the homes down there. That's about what you'd pay in taxes on a $300K home in our town in NH. For that amount you can get a nice 3/4 bedroom 2000+ sqt house with a decent lot. Bet you'd pay far more than that for a similar home in most all of NJ. Now, you go to some of the neighboring towns and that $8K tax payment would get you a half million dollar home in better school districts.

Granted, we don't pay income or sales tax up here.

steamboat1

I have my property tax bill right in front of me. According to the city the market value of my house is $320,000. Houses in the area similar to mine sell for nearly double that. My annual property tax bill, $3,345.

4aprice

$8K isn't so bad given the value of the homes down there. That's about what you'd pay in taxes on a $300K home in our town in NH. For that amount you can get a nice 3/4 bedroom 2000+ sqt house with a decent lot. Bet you'd pay far more than that for a similar home in most all of NJ. Now, you go to some of the neighboring towns and that $8K tax payment would get you a half million dollar home in better school districts.

Granted, we don't pay income or sales tax up here.

We pay every tax imaginable (that's what NJ government does), including moving out of state, or better yet dropping dead. Half of our taxes go to "Abbott Districts", something like 35 (of like 600) school districts in urban areas we pay for ON TOP of our local school taxes. There is no stopping this government from spending money, the problem being there isn't any. When I get out I'm going to sit back and watch the place implode. NH better watch it as all the northeast is going NJ's direction.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ