• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that need replacement

The Sneak

The Jet is just fine. My legs are usually trashed after skating that long flat runout coming uh back in bounds.

I hate the freezer :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zand

In most instances, it seems this thread should be renamed, "Lifts people want replaced", rather than "need" replacement.

Finally someone speaks the truth. Seriously folks...if you're skiing it right then the longer rides on the Jet and Bonnie should be welcomed lol. I also find Madonna I to be fine because it's a very interesting ride...much more so than a turtle fixed grip that goes over some groomer for 15 minutes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okay, I'll go a bit crazy with a proposed total lift overhaul for Sugarloaf.

King Pine gets replaced with a HSQ.

Timberline chair gets replaced with the current King Pine Quad and extended down to Bullwinkles.

Bucksaw gets replaced with a HSQ and additional low intermediate / beginner terrain is cut skiers left of it where there's a ton of acreage. This will siphon traffic away from the Superquad and probably Wiffletree as well by providing an expanded 1000 foot vert pod with near mile long trails for lower level skiers. It also would provide the quickest means of getting to the summit by connecting to the new Timberline chair.

Bucksaw Double gets moved over to Burnt Mountain, creating a "Castlerock" type lift in that area.

Add a summit T-Bar from the top of Bateau to be able to offer lift serviced skiing off the summit when Skyway, Timberline and the Superquad are on Windhold.

Lastly, add conveyors to the Double Runner lifts to increase the line speed. I think those lifts are fine as is and I like the two different unload points. They're just a tad slow.

All told, it would only cost Peaks about 30-40 million bucks. :lol:

bigbob

Timberline chair gets replaced with the current King Pine Quad and extended down to Bullwinkles.

Bucksaw gets replaced with a HSQ and additional low intermediate / beginner terrain is cut skiers left of it where there's a ton of acreage. This will siphon traffic away from the Superquad and probably Wiffletree as well by providing an expanded 1000 foot vert pod with near mile long trails for lower level skiers. It also would provide the quickest means of getting to the summit by connecting to the new Timberline chair.

Bucksaw Double gets moved over to Burnt Mountain, creating a "Castlerock" type lift in that area.

Add a summit T-Bar from the top of Bateau to be able to offer lift serviced skiing off the summit when Skyway, Timberline and the Superquad are on Windhold.

Lastly, add conveyors to the Double Runner lifts to increase the line speed. I think those lifts are fine as is and I like the two different unload points. They're just a tad slow.

It shouldn't cost Peaks a dime, unless they just bought the Loaf from CNL/Boyne! Do you have some inside info you wish to share?

Newpylong

Why replace a fixed grip quad with another fixed grip quad? Wouldn't it make more sense to replace Timberline with a HSQ since it's a longer lift and more terrain? Perhaps wind issues would inhibit a detach over there? A fixed grip all the way down to Bullwinkles would be a brutal ride.

Bucksaw to HSQ seems like a no brainer. Lot of underutilized terrain there.

Perhaps the Upper Mountain T-Bar could go up Gondola line from SpillwayXcut up?

xwhaler

IMHO the terrain is not very interesting off the Timberline unless you are trying to access the 'snowfields'
And typically folks are not lapping the snow fields because they are usually very scraped off and wind scoured....its fun to hit it once and then move on.

I personally think it would be hard to justify doing anything with that lift. I do like the idea of putting it down to Bullwinkles.
Generally intermediates are sticking to Whiffletree or SQ.....the intermediate terrain off Timberline gets very little use I'd suspect.

Edd

On the right day for crowds / conditions, the sets of narrow intermediate trails that run the length of Timberline are pretty fun.

Sigh, a beer at Bullwinkles sounds pretty good right now.

SIKSKIER

The trail will remain as is except for the top where they will have to remove trees to accommodate the positioning of the top terminal.
Sorry I'm late to this thread party.I did see this in a link somebody provided.
Individual trees along the edge of the lift corridor would be removed to accommodate the wider gauge of the new lift.

SIKSKIER

I saw this on another link somebody posted and was blown away by the propsed # of lifts for Smuggs.

Ten years later, the ten year plan was announced again, this time under the ownership of Tom Watson. Whiteface was still considered part of the proposed expansion, which called for a total of fourteen additional new chairlifts for the resort. It is thought the expansion was quietly cancelled after the sale of the ski area in the 1970s.

ceo

Kind of silly to relocate King Pine to replace Timberline, when they're basically identical lifts. Timberline was originally installed as the Whiffletree Quad at the same time as King Pine, and was moved to the ridgeline when the HSQ replaced it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
To me the King Pine operates at a much faster speed than Timberline. Maybe they have different horse power drives?

Edd

To me the King Pine operates at a much faster speed than Timberline. Maybe they have different horse power drives?

Without a doubt. Timberline is set very low so it should appear to be moving kind of fast if it were an average fixed grip. That lift crawls as slow as any lift I can think of.

Newpylong

The biggest and only downside to the place I think is the lifts. There are more than there needs to be and many are aging. I mean, in reality there is probably a need to do something with 5 of them, 6 if they want the top to bottom gondola.

Yanking out the Double runners and putting another fixed grip like Skyline will help. Has that lift run more on windy days as they expected? If it has, might as well yank Bateau out with the doubles.

What's the status with the summit T-Bar? A few AZ challenges ago they said it would go in as soon as "this season" up Cinderhoe where it used to be.

MadMadWorld

I saw this on another link somebody posted and was blown away by the propsed # of lifts for Smuggs.

Ten years later, the ten year plan was announced again, this time under the ownership of Tom Watson. Whiteface was still considered part of the proposed expansion, which called for a total of fourteen additional new chairlifts for the resort. It is thought the expansion was quietly cancelled after the sale of the ski area in the 1970s.

Fun fact but Whiteface is actually Sterling. I think they probably just renamed since Smuggs decided to name the other peak Sterling.