• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

thetrailboss

Staff member
I skimmed the article. Overall I find lots of gaffes and bad grammar in many publications because traditional media no longer pays well and no longer attracts talent.

So back to the article: are folks saying that Mittersill is NOT going to be a US Ski Team training venue?

Puck it

I skimmed the article. Overall I find lots of gaffes and bad grammar in many publications because traditional media no longer pays well and no longer attracts talent.

So back to the article: are folks saying that Mittersill is NOT going to be a US Ski Team training venue?

It will for local aspiring skiers.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would be pretty awesome if they had a few US ski team practices there each season that were open to the public. I would hope that's the plan in calling it an official venue. Would be good for the sport to have the athletes accessible right here in our backyards. I know they race frequently at Whiteface, but something closer to the Boston market would be great. I'd go.

Puck it

It would be pretty awesome if they had a few US ski team practices there each season that were open to the public. I would hope that's the plan in calling it an official venue. Would be good for the sport to have the athletes accessible right here in our backyards. I know they race frequently at Whiteface, but something closer to the Boston market would be great. I'd go.

And maybe a Tuna sighting, he could probably make a sonic boom on the run now.

SkiRaceParent

Yup, but they have the US Ski Team backing other mountains do not. I also think it is the approved Super G course.

I frankly think this sounds a lot like Burke and Sugarloaf, to name two. I get that it's good but is it really that different than those two?

SkiRaceParent

Go ski at Mt. Ellen and/or Burke, you'll definitely see some future olympians skiing those two places.

skiberg

USSA does not need another Burke. This is going to be a training facility with rentable lanes. The idea is something similar to a summer time at Mt. Hood. That is why the slalom slope is being cut so wide. The hope is that it is going to generate revenue. The early season Eastern North American man made snow is the most similar snow to the European race venues. Hopeful that they may get some early season US/Canadian or Euros to train. Also, I think they hope to rent our lanes to colleges etc. for D1 prep which has become the second highest level racing in the world. You need to appreciate just how good they think these training slopes can be. It has to do with steepness and the way they roll down the hill. That's why USSA is behind this. They love the terrain potential. I hiked Bald knob Monday and took a look at the entire Barons. As a race trail it looks fantastic.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 83

SkiRaceParent

USSA does not need another Burke. This is going to be a training facility with rentable lanes. The idea is something similar to a summer time at Mt. Hood. That is why the slalom slope is being cut so wide. The hope is that it is going to generate revenue. The early season Eastern North American man made snow is the most similar snow to the European race venues. Hopeful that they may get some early season US/Canadian or Euros to train. Also, I think they hope to rent our lanes to colleges etc. for D1 prep which has become the second highest level racing in the world. You need to appreciate just how good they think these training slopes can be. It has to do with steepness and the way they roll down the hill. That's why USSA is behind this. They love the terrain potential. I hiked Bald knob Monday and took a look at the entire Barons. As a race trail it looks fantastic.

I really do hope it does well, but I also take offense to there not being other very similar (almost identical) training venues in the east. I see no less than 4 or 5 olympians (current) every season at Burke and also athletes from many international teams on their way through, especially Canada who frequent. Also, we see all the major northeast Div 1 programs training there as well, in the 4 or 5 lanes that are set-up for GS and Slalom. On Super G, there is the trail but it isn't used as frequently, although it has hosted Nor Am Super G's in the past. Early season weather, especially through Jan 1, can be dicey to plan around, especially as one heads south toward Cannon, but I imagine that's a risk the national team is comfortable with since they can always call an audible with their funds if the conditions are not good. Overall, this is a good thing that I support but I just hope that the weather is kind in the early years during the windows when national teams can be in the US and not in Europe or elsewhere (November, mainly).

skiberg

Burke is its own deal and they are remarkable, but the proposed slalom slope is going to be close to 300 feet wide for heavens sake. Their is nothing close to that a Burke. Plus this terrain is better for training.