• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$1M for Mittersill "improvement project"

thetrailboss

Staff member
We are not talking about day-to-day training. They will stay at their home mountains for day-to-day training. Training at Canon will be periodic and very specific purposes. It's a sport it's contested in the 100ths of seconds any advantage they can get they will try and find. They fly six hours to ski for five days in July, they will drive to or three hours to ski for a weekend in November.
all of this assumes however that this does not become Home hill to some college. They've already been in talks with a number of D1 programs who are interested in putting their program at Canon full-time. Don't be surprised if it happens because that is going to be a big portion of where the remaining 2 million comes from.

I understand that. I just don't think that UVM would be there that often if at all. Is Middlebury going to go there?

SkiRaceParent

UVM and Dartmouth do go to Burke every once in a while (or did). I could see Dartmouth going to Cannon a few times. UVM has Stowe in their backyard and I don't see them driving 2:30 or so for Cannon. Maybe though....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yes they are at Burke quite often in season where they rent afternoon lanes.

On skibergs point about colleges funding, doubt that would happen. Perhaps a parent booster associated with a college but a college isn't going to pay out of pocket for something they can just rent, which is what they have already elsewhere. Also, on the point for travel, sure, they may not come all the time, but if the state and or the Cannon ski club are going to try to at least make back ongoing operating expenses they will have to fill up their lanes consistently or else the project won't work well in the long run.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well it will be exciting to see what happens with Mittersill. I drove up there the other day and the work was done. From what I could see they did a good job. There was some snow near the top of Lafayette.

witch hobble

This is a dead horse thread right now.
I sorta feel that this whole chat forum message board thing (not just AZ but literally all of them) is just people taking turns whacking a giant dead horse for their own, or others, amusement.

tree_skier

We are not talking about day-to-day training. They will stay at their home mountains for day-to-day training. Training at Canon will be periodic and very specific purposes. It's a sport it's contested in the 100ths of seconds any advantage they can get they will try and find. They fly six hours to ski for five days in July, they will drive to or three hours to ski for a weekend in November.
all of this assumes however that this does not become Home hill to some college. They've already been in talks with a number of D1 programs who are interested in putting their program at Canon full-time. Don't be surprised if it happens because that is going to be a big portion of where the remaining 2 million comes from.

UNH and PSC for sure Dartmouth some Also Holderness. Along with this you could see many colleges both D-1 and USCSA teams using it for a week or 2 over winter break

xwhaler

On the one hand having that chair run all the time and not be totally reliant on natural snow is probably not terrible but what happens when it doesn't snow?
The racers ski over there but no one else? Are they going to rope up skiers left of Mittersill and only allow racers on the lift in lean snow times?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would think a fair compromise is that racers aren't allowed to take over both trails at the same time. They can use Barons or Taft, but not both.

dlague

Here it comes! The first big race on Barons! UNH Carnival ski race January 27-28th.

BTW FSC got a grant to buy 200 more rolls of safety netting.

dlague

Grant from where?

On FB page for Mittersill Improvement Project

We are proud to announce that the Kelly Brush Foundation has awarded the Franconia Ski Club a second Ski Racing Safety Grant! This matching grant will help purchase 200 more rolls of safety netting to line the new training and racing venues on Mittersill. We are working hard to be "Race Ready/Race Safe" for the rapidly approching ski season. Thank you Kelly Brush Foundation, for supporting this Project and promoting ski racing safety in such a direct way!

skiberg

Probably from USSA/US ski team. They have given quite a bit already and makes sense since NCAA champs will be there.

skiberg

Sorry, I didn't see Kelley Brush. That's where it came from.

SIKSKIER

I would think a fair compromise is that racers aren't allowed to take over both trails at the same time. They can use Barons or Taft, but not both.

Saw this quote from April but it seems appropriate to reply now.The UNH race is shceduled for 2 days with both both trails being used for different events.I'll bet there will be an access issue here on both on those days.

skiberg

If they use both trails so be it, it's a State university using a State facility for 2 days. It just does not seem like a big deal to me.

dlague

If they use both trails so be it, it's a State university using a State facility for 2 days. It just does not seem like a big deal to me.

Of note, I would probably be best to ski elsewhere that weekend - that is the only big deal! I was never a big fan of Cannon when there were race events going. Training was OK but race events not so much.