• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Membership Dues Increase at Hermitage

drjeff

Confirmed to me today by a member-friend, after a rumor I heard.

ABC is shooting some of the upcoming season of their reality dating show, The Bachelor, on the grounds of the Hermitage now.....

"Free" promo for the club? An infusion of some cash for the club? A chance to get some of the members on TV? Who knows....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

Confirmed to me today by a member-friend, after a rumor I heard.

ABC is shooting some of the upcoming season of their reality dating show, The Bachelor, on the grounds of the Hermitage now.....

"Free" promo for the club? An infusion of some cash for the club? A chance to get some of the members on TV? Who knows....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

no one cares

FBGM

Oh man this the hot shit bro. I hope we get some nj trash fight nip slips. Class that club up a bit.

Jcb890

It surprises me that members would want that. Kind of makes you wonder about the members even more...
I find it a bit ridiculous, but par for the course and not very surprising to be honest. These are people paying tends of thousands of dollars to basically be part of a country club for skiing/snowboarding... many of these people care about the pomp and circumstance. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother with Hermitage Club.

Jully

I find it a bit ridiculous, but par for the course and not very surprising to be honest. These are people paying tends of thousands of dollars to basically be part of a country club for skiing/snowboarding... many of these people care about the pomp and circumstance. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother with Hermitage Club.

I really do wonder how many care that much about pomp and status. Many country club members are in it for the status for sure, but others just view it as a good golf course / facilities. If money is no object, its better to play on a nice country club golf course than a public course - not due to any high and mighty views about the public, but just due to playing on a less trafficked, more expensive course.

I wonder how many Hermitage members match this description rather than someone looking for something to boost their ego. Obviously the money is a little different (not sure what it costs to be a part of a country club, but I'm assuming most are way less than $75,000) and Haystack isn't an elite mountain in the same way the Winchester Country Club is better than the random municipal Golf Course.

At the same time though, fast lifts, no lines, and corduroy at 2pm is the definition of the perfect skiing experience for the average skier. They are not looking for steeps, 2000+ vertical and interesting double fall lines.

Definitely some are in it for the status and ego stroking, but I really wonder how big of a proportion those people really are at Hermitage. If I had $75,000+ to burn, I wouldn't become a member there... but I'm not the average skier.

Not looking to defend the 1%'s attitudes and beliefs, but just food for thought.

Jcb890

I really do wonder how many care that much about pomp and status. Many country club members are in it for the status for sure, but others just view it as a good golf course / facilities. If money is no object, its better to play on a nice country club golf course than a public course - not due to any high and mighty views about the public, but just due to playing on a less trafficked, more expensive course.

I wonder how many Hermitage members match this description rather than someone looking for something to boost their ego. Obviously the money is a little different (not sure what it costs to be a part of a country club, but I'm assuming most are way less than $75,000) and Haystack isn't an elite mountain in the same way the Winchester Country Club is better than the random municipal Golf Course.

At the same time though, fast lifts, no lines, and corduroy at 2pm is the definition of the perfect skiing experience for the average skier. They are not looking for steeps, 2000+ vertical and interesting double fall lines.

Definitely some are in it for the status and ego stroking, but I really wonder how big of a proportion those people really are at Hermitage. If I had $75,000+ to burn, I wouldn't become a member there... but I'm not the average skier.

Not looking to defend the 1%'s attitudes and beliefs, but just food for thought.
I don't disagree with any of your pondering. Honestly, I have no idea why or what drives that mindset. I guess you have to have enough disposable income to know? I'll let you know if I ever get to the point of having "fuck you" money... but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Bolded above is probably exactly why. They have the money and will spend it to go somewhere that they can be with just their family and do what they want to do. Or, if they do have to rub elbows with someone, it isn't some lowly peasant like myself.

djd66

Personally I do not get why anyone would want to make Haystack your home base. Its a small Mtn and i would get really bored of the place after a few weekends.

Jcb890

Personally I do not get why anyone would want to make Haystack your home base. Its a small Mtn and i would get really bored of the place after a few weekends.
I don't get it either and I don't think I ever will. It just kind of is what it is.

Glenn

I have to imagine it has more to do with quality vs. quantity. You may not get in the vertical you will at another mountain, but you're also not waiting 30 minutes in line on a long weekend. I can see the appeal in that regard.

Smellytele

I am the same way with golf courses. I don't like golfing the same one over and over again no matter how nice it is.

cdskier

We're all wired differently. If the exact same things appealed to everyone, what fun would that be? I don't understand why people like it, but I don't need to. As long as those people understand it and it is what they want, then that's what matters. I don't understand why people want to go sit in traffic to lay on a hot crowded beach at the Jersey shore every weekend in the summer...but obviously the people that do that understand.

There's people that don't understand why I would want to drive 5 hours every weekend in the winter to ski at Sugarbush. I hear all the time from people "aren't there closer places to ski? Mountain Creek is only 45 minutes away. What's the difference? Isn't skiing, skiing?". To each their own!

djd66

Not to beat a dead horse, but for me - skiing is just part of it. I drive up every weekend too. But I also really enjoy the Mtn vibe after skiing (at sugarbush) Is there any kind of after skiing Mtn vibe at Haystack?

mikec142

You guys who drive up to SB every weekend...do you have houses there or are you staying in a hotel/motel/condo/etc.

I love SB and we go as often as possible. Many times we stay with family in Burlington, but occasionally we get a room closer to the mountain. But that really adds to the cost. Looking for reasonable ways to do it.

djd66

You guys who drive up to SB every weekend...do you have houses there or are you staying in a hotel/motel/condo/etc.

I love SB and we go as often as possible. Many times we stay with family in Burlington, but occasionally we get a room closer to the mountain. But that really adds to the cost. Looking for reasonable ways to do it.

I am fortunate to own a house on the mountain. There are some fairly low cost places to stay in the area.

KustyTheKlown

im in New England just about every weekend. I don't ski at one place, so it doesn't make sense to have a house or a share house or a ski club house etc. I tend to drive up late night Friday direct to mountain, avoiding the need for a hotel Friday night, then I check into a cheap motel on Saturday. this is easiest in rutland, manchester, burlington, lincoln nh. if I want to stay closer to stowe or jay or mrg/sugarbush, I need to get more creative, and I tend to try to do those weekends with a group and split an airbnb house

djd66

I tend to drive up late night Friday direct to mountain, avoiding the need for a hotel Friday night, then I check into a cheap motel on Saturday.

So are you sleeping in your car at the base of the Mtn?

Jully

Not to beat a dead horse, but for me - skiing is just part of it. I drive up every weekend too. But I also really enjoy the Mtn vibe after skiing (at sugarbush) Is there any kind of after skiing Mtn vibe at Haystack?

Never been to Hermitage, but everything I've read about the place seems to indicate that they have spent millions trying to cultivate the ultimate mountain vibe in lodges and clubhouses. I would bet that that atmosphere is absolutely part of why members are a part of it.