• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

21 and Older Pubs at Ski Areas During the Day?

skiur

Not sure about NH - but in some states there are liquor laws where you can't bring outside booze into a venue where its sold - can potentially create issues with their overall liquor license :eek:

That is the case in VT, you can not bring outside alcohol into a bar.

SIKSKIER

At the Peabody lodge they have tried to get the brown baggers into the basement which I can't stand sitting in a room that is like a cave. I remember when the bar was down stairs before they moved it into the middle of the lodge (before the addition). I hated that to.
The old Rathskeller lounge in the basement was the pits.The real problem I had with that is the paying customers were down in the dungeon while the brown baggers were upstairs with the great view of the mountain.Brown baggers should be downstairs and paying customers upstairs.Plus they greatly expanded the brown bag area downstairs and added microwave ovens and video games.

C-Rex

I'd imagine they make much more profit from booze sales than from food. Especially at the end of the day when most people have already eaten lunch. They probably don't want kids taking up seats that drinking customers could be in. If it's dead it doesn't make much business sense, but on a busy day I'd bet they up their sales with that policy.

I don't have kids and I know it's a sensitive subject for parents, but the fact is that the world doesn't revolve around your kids. I'd actually like to see more places have 21+ only bars or at least sections. I like kids but I certainly don't like dealing with them all the time. And some parents do a less than satisfactory job of managing their children. I don't see a problem with having a place where adults can be adults without offending someone or their children.

dlague

FYI it's "Notchview". I frequently bring my own food to the Peabody lodge and/or deck and eat it with a beer bought from the cafeteria or bar or deck (they sell in all 3 places). Notchview also sells beer (but prob isn't open yet).

Notchview - yes stand corrected - newbie at Cannon. Skiing with you last season there was my second time there ever.

At the Peabody lodge they have tried to get the brown baggers into the basement which I can't stand sitting in a room that is like a cave. I remember when the bar was down stairs before they moved it into the middle of the lodge (before the addition). I hated that to.

There are three distinct areas in Peabody Lodge the Pub (restaurant right?), area outside the Pub which is the cafeteria where alcohol can be consumed but bagged food not allowed, and the "cave" where you can picnic (Cannon's term) but can not consume alcohol. What about those who bring their lunch but also want a beer? I guess there is the deck but that would suck on a really cold day or BYOB, camouflage it and sit in a picnic area.

That is the case in VT, you can not bring outside alcohol into a bar.

Was not talking about bringing a beer into a bar.

I'd imagine they make much more profit from booze sales than from food. Especially at the end of the day when most people have already eaten lunch. They probably don't want kids taking up seats that drinking customers could be in. If it's dead it doesn't make much business sense, but on a busy day I'd bet they up their sales with that policy.

I don't have kids and I know it's a sensitive subject for parents, but the fact is that the world doesn't revolve around your kids. I'd actually like to see more places have 21+ only bars or at least sections. I like kids but I certainly don't like dealing with them all the time. And some parents do a less than satisfactory job of managing their children. I don't see a problem with having a place where adults can be adults without offending someone or their children.

This is not about "world revolving around kids", it is about shutting down the only real restaurant at a ski area during "Skiing hours" to families. If I cannot sit down at a waited table at 2 pm at a ski area because I have some one under 21 with me - that's f'd up!

Using Jay Peak as an example - if they want to make the Tower Bar 21+ after 2:30 - fine. I can still go to Alice's Table, The Foundry, etc.

BTW, there is nothing you can say to my 12 year old that would offend him - he is the youngest of four boys and has heard plenty!

VTKilarney

For me it's pretty simple. A family ski area should have proper space for families. If they do, there is nothing wrong with having separate space that is for adults. If adults are in the "family" space, they should be respectful of children. Likewise, adults with children should be respectful of the fact that there may be places that are not appropriate for their children. Their children aren't entitled to be everywhere - so long as they have somewhere to go.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those places do not sell alcohol. So you aren't bringing alcohol into a "bar".

Wrong.

I worked at more than a few restaurants in VT over the years that had full liquor licences and patrons were allowed to bring in their own bottle for a corkage fee. It was usually a $10-$15 fee so that the restaurant recouped whatever profit they'd miss out on by not selling you their own bottle.

Puck it

Wrong.

I worked at more than a few restaurants in VT over the years that had full liquor licences and patrons were allowed to bring in their own bottle for a corkage fee. It was usually a $10-$15 fee so that the restaurant recouped whatever profit they'd miss out on by not selling you their own bottle.

Most places allow this with the corking fee.

VTKilarney

Wrong.

Unless the regulations have changed, this was illegal. Vermont's Liquor Control Boar's General Regulation #4 states:
A licensee shall not possess or allow the consumption of malt, vinous beverages or spirituous liquors
other than those purchased on invoice from a bottler’s or wholesale dealer or on invoice from the
Vermont Liquor Control Board, or on invoice from a direct‐to‐retail shippers licensee.

Wine Spectator had an article about this, and specifically mentioned Vermont as a state that permits corkage only at establishments with no liquor license. That is certainly consistent with the above regulation.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
No idea what the loop hole is, but plenty of places allow outside wine bottles in with a corkage fee not just in VT, but all over New England.

VTKilarney

No idea what the loop hole is, but plenty of places allow outside wine bottles in with a corkage fee not just in VT, but all over New England.
Not trying to be a wise guy, but can you show me the website of a VT restaurant with a liquor license that states this is allowed? I'm not aware of any loophole, but I'm always happy to be educated.

VTKilarney

IIRC in Vermont, it was a licensing add on - think it was referred to as a B&B license.

Here is what the Beaver Pond Farm B&B says on their website:
Our guest bar offers 24-hour access to fresh-brewed complimentary coffees and teas. We also have a guest refrigerator stocked with wine, beer, bottled water and soft drinks for purchase. To remain in compliance with our liquor license, we ask that you refrain from bringing in your own alcoholic beverages.

moresnow

Unless the regulations have changed, this was illegal. Vermont's Liquor Control Boar's General Regulation #4 states:
A licensee shall not possess or allow the consumption of malt, vinous beverages or spirituous liquors
other than those purchased on invoice from a bottler’s or wholesale dealer or on invoice from the
Vermont Liquor Control Board, or on invoice from a direct‐to‐retail shippers licensee.

Wine Spectator had an article about this, and specifically mentioned Vermont as a state that permits corkage only at establishments with no liquor license. That is certainly consistent with the above regulation.

Would mead be a loop hole? Or would that count as a vinous beverage?

Either way it certainly would go against the spirit of the regulation.

VTKilarney

Would mead be a loop hole? Or would that count as a vinous beverage?

Either way it certainly would go against the spirit of the regulation.
Mead appears to fall under the definition of "vinous beverage":

Vinous beverages: all fermented beverages of any name or description manufactured or obtained for sale from the natural sugar content of fruits, or other agricultural product, containing sugar, the alcoholic content of which is not less than one percent nor more than 16 percent by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, except that all vermouths shall be purchased and retailed by and through the Liquor Control Board as authorized in chapters 5 and 7 of this title.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not going to go on some website policy search for you. All I can tell you is I worked as a server, bartender, F&B manager etc. from 1995 until 2007. Much of that time was in Vermont, but also in numerous other states. Probably a dozen different establishments over that time. It was never advertised, but almost all of them allowed outside wine to be brought in and opened for a corkage fee. Mes Amis is the one place I recall in Stowe where we allowed it. Maybe laws have changed, maybe laws were broken, but this is fairly common practice.

moresnow

Mead appears to fall under the definition of "vinous beverage":

Vinous beverages: all fermented beverages of any name or description manufactured or obtained for sale from the natural sugar content of fruits, or other agricultural product, containing sugar, the alcoholic content of which is not less than one percent nor more than 16 percent by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, except that all vermouths shall be purchased and retailed by and through the Liquor Control Board as authorized in chapters 5 and 7 of this title.
They had to go and add "other agricultural product" to the regulation. Figures.

VTKilarney

I'm not going to go on some website policy search for you. All I can tell you is I worked as a server, bartender, F&B manager etc. from 1995 until 2007. Much of that time was in Vermont, but also in numerous other states. Probably a dozen different establishments over that time. It was never advertised, but almost all of them allowed outside wine to be brought in and opened for a corkage fee. Mes Amis is the one place I recall in Stowe where we allowed it. Maybe laws have changed, maybe laws were broken, but this is fairly common practice.
Respectfully, you would think that a F&B manager would know if alcohol was being served legally or illegally. By every indication it appears to have been illegal.