• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

April weekend cowds

gittist

Of course 'It depends' but in general how are the weekend crowds in Vermont this time of the year? Assuming there is no pond skimming or parking lot parties.

drjeff

Spring sports have started. Golf courses open. Easter family things going on for those who celebrate it. Crowds will be light. Does that mean ski on lifts all day - nope. Does that mean lift lines likely maxing at at 5 minutes at the busiest times of the day at some core lifts - probably.

If you don't get out there soon, you're going to definitely start loosing lift served options, and maybe not because of lack of snow, very soon. Just get out there and make some turns before you can't the season

skiur

If it's a beautiful bluebird warm day you can get some decent crowds, on a cool cloudy day not so much. Crowds also seem bigger because there is normally a lot less open terrain.

BenedictGomez

There will be no crowds in Vermont in April, nor anywhere in North America for that matter. Last weekend was beautiful weather with ample new snow & yet it was ski-on.

Last week I saw a kid in the grocery store wearing a soccer uniform & it literally brought a broad smile to my face.

KustyTheKlown

There will be no crowds in Vermont in April, nor anywhere in North America for that matter. Last weekend was beautiful weather with ample new snow & yet it was ski-on.

Last week I saw a kid in the grocery store wearing a soccer uniform & it literally brought a broad smile to my face.

last sunday jay, sugarbush, and stratton reported near record visitation and parking issues.

ski on perhaps because most people are out of shape and cant ski powder. but last sunday was not a quiet day.

a typical april day is quiet bc as dr.j said, people move on to their spring shit and only the us among us remain

skiur

Last weekend was no where near ski on at K. And that was with the mountain 100% open. Not sure where you were skiing, I thought you moved out west? If it's a sunny weekend in April or May there will be crowds at K.

crippity

i think the days of predicting things are long gone since covid. The powder day two weeks ago on Tuesday or Wednesday places were very busy. This past monday at Killington was very busy for a Monday!!!!! hotels were rocking people stayed the extra day. The super passes and flexibilty have created patterns hard to guess. pre covid pre megapasses, april was dead for most part. I have varisty lax right now and ill still be sneaking up whenever i dont have a game and it looks good.

abc

Last weekend was no where near ski on at K.
Last week wasn’t April.

And that was with the mountain 100% open. Not sure where you were skiing, I thought you moved out west? If it's a sunny weekend in April or May there will be crowds at K.
I‘ve skied in April weekends post pandemic. I‘d call that “healthy participation”. Far from “crowded”.

skiur

Last week wasn’t April.

I‘ve skied in April weekends post pandemic. I‘d call that “healthy participation”. Far from “crowded”.

No, but what I quoted BG saying was last weekend was empty. Context matters. And he also said everywhere in VT is empty in April which also isn't true, if it's sunny K will be packed.

Zand

Between the potential big storm in the North country and it being eclipse weekend, I imagine next weekend might be a little insane.

letitsnow1

Why did April start in March at Killington? Weird.
He was responding to

And killington definitely gets crowded in April and may, other areas not so much

crippity

Between the potential big storm in the North country and it being eclipse weekend, I imagine next weekend might be a little insane.
This is 100 percent on point. 10 day forecast is cold enough with snow. That weekend will be shit show in northern VT is my guess. I will be at buddys house in stowe watching eclipse up in worcester

crippity

hotels are insane. as expectedall stowe hotels basically sold out. BW in south burlington is 650 for april 8. This is normally 150 bucks. People are coming , skiing as well

crippity

VT sent out notice to have towns to expect Leaf Peeper Peak crowds plus some,

BenedictGomez

He was responding to

That's fine, but it was pretty obvious (or should be) my comment literally addressed the actual topic of the conversation being discussed, which was about April........ in Vermont.

I also added that it's already much less crowded where I am, but obviously that would not relate to April, as I do not own a DeLorean..... or relate to Vermont (as noted).

killington definitely gets crowded in April

I guess just another reason people drive past there and head to Jay Peak, Smugglers Notch, or Stowe..... All blissfully wonderful from April 1st through the typical mid-April close (though Jay Peak stays open later). In general I never really understood why non-local'ish people ski Killington in general for largely that reason. I get folks don't like driving, but a few hours for a better experience? Always was an easy call for me & I'd put in the time/miles. Many of my all-time favorite ski days were April snow storms and/or spring conditions lapping the back bowls between Stowe & Smuggs. Especially this time of year, far better skiing conditions exist in northern Vermont than central Vermont or southern Vermont in literally almost every season.

Last edited: