• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

April weekend cowds

abc

That's fine, but it was pretty obvious (or should be) my comment literally addressed the actual topic of the conversation being discussed, which was about April........ in Vermont.

I also added that it's already much less crowded where I am, but obviously that would not relate to April, as I do not own a DeLorean..... or Vermont (as he noted).

I guess just another reason people drive past there and head to Jay Peak, Smugglers Notch, or Stowe..... All blissfully wonderful from April 1st through the typical mid-April close (though Jay Peak stays open later). In general I never really understood why non-local'ish people ski Killington in general for largely that reason. I get folks don't like driving, but a few hours for a better experience? Always was an easy call for me & I'd put in the time/miles. Many of my all-time favorite ski days were April snow storms and/or spring conditions lapping the back bowls between Stowe & Smuggs. Especially this time of year, far better skiing conditions exist in northern Vermont than central Vermont or southern Vermont in literally almost every season.
What you “don’t understand” is other people have different priorities.

When you can or can not leave a certain hours, those extra FEW hours will put your arrival at 2am instead of 11pm. It’s beyond “not like driving”. It’s unsafe to drive on lonely dark roads long pass one’s normal bed time. More so if your kids‘ lives are in your drowsy hands. Much worse if that’s every (or every other) weekend!

As for better condition, it is and it isn’t. Northern VT has better snow than central VT. But it’s a poor man’s ”better” condition. You can get way better condition by jumping on a plane to A-basin! It doesn’t even take much longer the driving all the way up to Jay.

Zermatt

There has never been a total eclipse in New England during ski season so might be hard to predict that weekend.

The biggest migrations in US history happen during a total eclipse.

letitsnow1

Ski conditions vary greatly in vt in April,northern vt has better conditions many days but there are plenty of days were southern vt warms enough to have soft snow and northern vt stays frozen. Every day can be different this time of year

Smellytele

Ski conditions vary greatly in vt in April,northern vt has better conditions many days but there are plenty of days were southern vt warms enough to have soft snow and northern vt stays frozen. Every day can be different this time of year
The reason I am looking at Magic (40+ degrees) vs Sugarbush (below 32 degrees) this weekend.

AdironRider

Yeah I think most aren't going to roll the dice on three+ hours extra driving round trip to Jay for variable spring skiing on the off chance it is night and day different. More than likely, it isn't.

I personally think Jay is a better place to ski but I also live in a location where the drive isn't that bad (1.5hours total each way). If I was in MA I'm probably not driving 3-4 hours each way to ski spring conditions anywhere. I'll just go to K and save the time. Powder days excluded.

chuckstah

The reason I am looking at Magic (40+ degrees) vs Sugarbush (below 32 degrees) this weekend.
Magic is garbage today, no softening yet. Frozen cord on the few groomers, frozen crap on everything else. Need a few more degrees and more sun. Cover is okay-ish. Tomorrow looks a couple degrees warmer and sunnier so that might soften it

drjeff

Magic is garbage today, no softening yet. Frozen cord on the few groomers, frozen crap on everything else. Need a few more degrees and more sun. Cover is okay-ish. Tomorrow looks a couple degrees warmer and sunnier so that might soften it
Okemo was similar. Firm before 11/11:30 then a few extra degrees of temperature and the sun starting to poke through brought on a very nice corn harvest!

Solid coverage too, and while most every chair had people on it, probably the longest wait in the almost 20 runs my friend and her son and I had was at most 15 chairs for Sunburst 6. On hill density was light

slatham

Next weekend is wild card and I would not be surprised if very busy art certain resorts given potential storm, nice weather, and the eclipse.

chuckstah

Okemo was similar. Firm before 11/11:30 then a few extra degrees of temperature and the sun starting to poke through brought on a very nice corn harvest!

Solid coverage too, and while most every chair had people on it, probably the longest wait in the almost 20 runs my friend and her son and I had was at most 15 chairs for Sunburst 6. On hill density was light
Yeah, top of Green chair down ripened just before noon, and the rest around 2. Better late than never.

drjeff

Yeah, top of Green chair down ripened just before noon, and the rest around 2. Better late than never.
Southface started softening top to bottom 11:30 ish. Boy do I wish they'd adjust the bottom terminal load height! Almost felt like we were going to fall over backwards and/or the top of our bindings heel pieces were going to get hit while loading it today!