• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont Orford 2.19.2012

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 2.19.2012

Resort or Ski Area: Mont Orford

Conditions: hardpack, icy spots, bumps, some pow, low 20s, mostly gray sky.

Trip Report: First time visit to Orford and I liked it. Arrived a little after 10, booted up and grabbed tix for me and Jake. Blantant reselling of vouchers in the line for ticket booth didn't seem to bother anyone. i had only credit card so i wasn't able to partake but somebody else was very happy.

Orford has 3 peaks, we hit the main peak(Orford) first taking the 6 pack up to the top. First run down we decided to take a Blue, tho it was much steeper than i'd expected and a bit slick except for the sides.

We switched over the Desrochers peak for a few runs. Less angle on this peak but it had great snow. Especially under the lift where there were some nice bumps and even some untracked snow a few inches (or several centimeters) deep.

We took a gondola ride back up top (they alternate 4 6packs/1 gondola on the main lift) and worked our way over to the Giroux peak. Snow there was hardpack for the most part. After a few runs and a late lunch we headed back to the soft snow on Desrochers. In the afternoon the crowds picked up on the smaller peaks and dwindled on the main lift, i suspect due to the snow conditions deteriorating on Orford peak due steeps getting scraped off. We lapped the Descrocher double a bunch of times enjoying the softer snow.

Ended the day with 1 last trip up the gondola and a run down the front, which was well scraped off.

I had my GPS on me which showed a top speed of the day @ 42 MPH. I'm pretty sure it need to be re-calibrated as i've driven on the highway many times and know what it is like to hit 60, 70, 80 and above so i'm sure i was going at least 50 at points today.

Some pics from the day -
my son the storm trooper
Orford-20120219-00359.jpg

Orford Peak from a distance
Sherbrooke-20120219-00363.jpg

snow on Desrochers
Orford-20120219-00355.jpg

signs
IMG-20120219-00361.jpg

southeast view towards the lake
IMG-20120219-00360.jpg

Warp Daddy

Hey glad you made the voyage , the Quebecois cuisine and ambiance is a much differant experience . tremblant has been very good this year both in terms of snow quality given the year we are all enduring . Luckily they are far enough North of the St Lawrence that when it was rain , they dodged that bullet and often got snow or at least NOT rain but sleet .

Have fun guys -- Laissez les bontemps rouler !!