• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 NFL Season

Mpdsnowman

You know there is alot of controversy on this...But the reality is simple....

The situation will not effect the marketing draw of the NFL. In fact, the more they make these mistakes and the more we react about it, makes it even more of a draw for those who are not avid NFL fans because they now want to tune in, watch some football and see these screw ups everyone is complaining about.

Obviously there is a difference in NFL officiating this year as compared to what we know. But on the same level I dont think it is fair, to put the onis on the officials for we should all keep in mind, they monitored a game with subtle differences.....this is not their fault and they will get better as the season progresses...

I didnt watch last nights game. I am certain from everyones postings around the internet it was a bad call. But non the less the game and week is over, teams, players and coaches will move on and the fans...well let em bitch, let em complain, let em get mad....

its only going to make it more profitable for the owners and the league....

I think this strike will end....but it will not be because of the bad calls but more of proper negotiating...

SKIQUATTRO

I dont follow/watch football for a variety of reasons but understand the fans/players/coaches frustration......

Mpdsnowman

The interesting thing is every score gets reviewed and it is done so by the normal review personnel. There not part of the strike. They did review it but didnt overturn the decision...

I think the ball goes to the packers but again we all gotta go by the rules so...But ya gotta love Pete Carrol smiling and jumping around....I always liked pete...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thing is Mdsnowman, they didn't go by the rules last night, they screwed up the rules and that's not just the replacement refs, but the league oversight officials who screwed up advising them. In a joint caught ball on the playing field (not the endzone), tie goes to the offensive player and it's not reviewable. The possession of the ball is not renewable, only whether it was caught. In the endzone, it is reviewable as to who rightfully had possession of the ball when it was caught. By the NFL rules, the Packers should have won that game. They got screwed.

In the short term, this will be marketing brilliance as you're right, everyone is going to tune in to see what all the uproar is about. If they let this go on into the playoffs, they will lose fans. I'm a pretty diehard Pats fan and if I see the garbage officiating product on the field for the rest of the season and some dumb decision by the refs costs the team a playoff game, I could very much see myself not watching my team / the NFL again until things are fixed. I've watched exactly one Red Sox game this season because of disgust with the organization and it's players last season and through the off season. I could do the same with the Pats/NFL depending how long it continues to be as bad as it is. Speak with your wallet as they say.

vdk03

Thing is Mdsnowman, they didn't go by the rules last night, they screwed up the rules and that's not just the replacement refs, but the league oversight officials who screwed up advising them. In a joint caught ball on the playing field (not the endzone), tie goes to the offensive player and it's not reviewable. The possession of the ball is not renewable, only whether it was caught. In the endzone, it is reviewable as to who rightfully had possession of the ball when it was caught. By the NFL rules, the Packers should have won that game. They got screwed.

Not to mention the blatant offensive pass interference in the same play. It is starting to get ridiculous, I think the the regular refs will be back within the next few weeks....they have to be

Mpdsnowman

The thing I am finding interesting is that even with the standard officials there have always been controversial calls..not like now I agree, there are way too many of them.

I am surprised they didn't overturn it...THAT tells me there is alot more goings on from the inside..

But come on its the NFL..If your a seahawks fan lol...no issues there lol...

I give it another 3 weeks before they settle...

drjeff

Thank goodness that side show of the ref's will be over and just back to the (hopefully) occassional controversial call! I totally get that part, and from having been in the stands, relatively close to the field for over 100 NFL games, I easily can see how difficult it can be to simultaneously see things like foot location and if/where the football is in one's hands at the same time at the speed that the modern game is played at, without the benefit of multiple camera angles and replays during that instant where the ref has to make a judgement call. That's why instant replay works (most of the time atleast ;) )

The biggest issue that I had with the replacement refs, wasn't the controversial calls, but the seemingly all too often basic procedural issues that seemed to be happening atleast once during a team's possession. That's where the regular refs, many of whom who have worked together in the same basic team for years, and spend plenty of hours year round off the field working on their split second descision making skills with respect to their vast knowledge of the rules makes a difference. My guess it that this week, with the regular refs back, the one stat which won't be reported, but will be appreciated by most fans is how much quicker the game flows

Mpdsnowman

Yup looks like they go back to work tonight... I sort of feel bad for the d2 refs being out of a job all of a sudden....Hopefully they get some additional compensation...

speden

Good to see the Pats look more like themselves yesterday. I think a key to the victory was Julian Edelman being out with an injury, so they relied more on Welker, who is a vastly better receiver. They seem to have a fatal attraction to Edelman as a receiver, even though he's only good at punt returns.

Really like Brandon Bolden at running back. Hard to believe he wasn't drafted by anyone. He's got power, agility, and good run vision. I'll be interested to see how he develops.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What I found most interesting yesterday was that the real refs screwed up royally in the Packers vs Saints game missing the call on the late kick off return fumble and Green Bay narrowly avoided losing another game they deserved to win.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't really follow football all that closely other than the overview of what happened in a game so I can talk about it at work :)

I did watch most of the pats game yesterday (when I wasn't changing diapers!) and I thought for sure during the first half they were going to bury the game, they were playing so poorly. Next thing I know they were demolishing Buffalo.

Mpdsnowman

Naa I knew that was coming. The bills have no business being two scores ahead before halftime....

What the game did show is the patriot vulnerability. Even thought they won convincingly in the end the bills still put up 400 plus yards and 28 points on them....and the bills were still injury riddled

drjeff

Naa I knew that was coming. The bills have no business being two scores ahead before halftime....

What the game did show is the patriot vulnerability. Even thought they won convincingly in the end the bills still put up 400 plus yards and 28 points on them....and the bills were still injury riddled

Just like most years (I'm hoping atleast ;) ) the Patriot defense is on on going work in progress! What they look like and are playing like right now is usually far different (and not as good) as what they'll look like come the last 1/3 of the season, and hopefully the post season.

In some ways, I almost think that Bill Belicheck actually likes putting together a defensive unit in the off season and preseason that has on paper a bunch of athletic talent, but not necessarily on field skills that would have them ranking high in any preseason defensive evaluation, and then through his coaching, work with them and build them up to what in most years come December is a pretty solid defensive unit

Geoff

work with them and build them up to what in most years come December is a pretty solid defensive unit

You honestly think that the personnel in the defensive secondary can ever be coached up to be competitive against an elite quarterback?

drjeff

You honestly think that the personnel in the defensive secondary can ever be coached up to be competitive against an elite quarterback?

On an individual person to person basis, nope.

On an entire defensive secondary unit, or for that matter defensive unit (since I think we can all agree that under most circumstances a potent pass rush and/or a number of different defense scheme to use against that elite quarterback ends up making the defensive secondary look better ;) ), then my answer is yes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hang that loss on #12. The two intentional groundings and two interceptions were unacceptable. All of them were stupid decisions by Brady. Count this as one of the games the Patriots beat themselves. If it weren't for Brady's mistakes, the Pats could have won that game by two touchdowns.

jrmagic

Huge win for the Giants over the 49ers yesterday. They played very well in all 3 components of the game. I really had my doubts coming into the game and watching the first 2 drives where they were able to march down the field but as much as I was criticizing Gilbrite for continueing to run the ball for one and two yard gains it paid off big as it opened up the passing game which in turn opened up the running game.

As for the Pats.. I am really surprised they lost that game though Seattle is no longer the pushover they once were.

speden

Seattle seems to be a tough place to play with the crowd noise. Throw in some rain and the mistakes quickly pile up.

Brady looks more skittish these days. I remember when he used to stand tall in the pocket even when the pressure was about to flatten him. Now he seems to be ducking and trying to get rid of the ball before people are even close to him. I'm hoping the Pats can use the Giants formula this year and struggle a bit during the season and then find their footing just in time for the playoffs.