• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shrimp Tails

ctenidae

Why do they leave the end of the shells on shrimp? It's a terrible pain in the ass, and doesn't help presentation. Plus, you lose the end of the shrimp, and get sauce all over your fingers.

Makes me angry.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Plus, you lose the end of the shrimp, and get sauce all over your fingers.

You're doing it wrong. The tails are a convenient holder that allow you to get maximum sauce-to-shrimp ratio. It takes a delicate bite from years of practice, and the entire shrimp comes out, leaving just the empty shell.

Now, if you want to talk about why they leave the tails on in sauteed dishes and pasta, then I'm with you.

ctenidae

You're doing it wrong. The tails are a convenient holder that allow you to get maximum sauce-to-shrimp ratio. It takes a delicate bite from years of practice, and the entire shrimp comes out, leaving just the empty shell.

Now, if you want to talk about why they leave the tails on in sauteed dishes and pasta, then I'm with you.

I'm eating shrimp in a soup now, so, like pasta and sauteed dishes, that is the problem. It is a good handle for fried shrimp, I'll grant you that.

And it's soup from a Thai restaurant, so clearly not just a 1st world problem. Really, I blame the Spanish.

Puck it

I'm eating shrimp in a soup now, so, like pasta and sauteed dishes, that is the problem. It is a good handle for fried shrimp, I'll grant you that.

And it's soup from a Thai restaurant, so clearly not just a 1st world problem. Really, I blame the Spanish.

Why the Spanish? I blame the Brits for rest of the problems though.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Ah, I thought you were talking about shrimp cocktail.

In cooked dishes, yes it's terribly annoying.

ctenidae

Why the Spanish?

Why not? I mean, it's impossible to eat anything at all in Barcelona without picking various bits of shrimp shell out. And, generally, they screw stuff up a lot, so I think it's a decent general rule.

@Nick- nice.

Mpdsnowman

You would be amazed as to how many people dont even realize what a prawn looks like whole. Serve some salted fried shrimp with the heads still on and watch their reaction lol

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
ps yeah my father in law makes shrimp scampi all the time and he leaves the tails on. I don't know why. I need to pull them off and I end up spraying butter everywhere.