• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock - 1/27

WinnChill

1/27/2013
Gunstock
Some Packed Powder on Hard Pack/FZGR

Early start again and with a close parking spot, we tried the boot-up-at-the-car strategy and right to the lift-->3rd chair on the Ramrod Quad as the Summit Panorama was down for maintenance. FREEZING cold...around 10 or so. After the first run on fresh cord on Phelps, I barely got out of my skiis before I went straight to the shop for a turtle-neck-warmer for myself and my son. I also picked up a helmet--yes, I'm one of the last remaining holdouts for helmets. Not to be anti-safety...just old school comfort reasons, that's all. Thought it would add some warmth, but no...even worse...so it ended up as a hat-helmet stack. At least the winds eased off through the morning and it was a gorgeous bluebird day!!! Snow was SQUEAKY cold...thin packed powder coating on somewhat of a hardpack...the type you can't pole poke in the lift line.

By the time I got adjusted and semi-comfortable on an easy Smith run, the Panorama opened up (kudos to the maintenance crew for a quick fix). I was pleased to see The Flats (from Flintlock) and Stonebar open...I really wanted to check out Flintlock Extension but the chill kept us from getting on a good multi-run stretch. We took an early brown-bag lunch/warming break in the car (pic of the lift line during that) and then back up to hit Gunsmoke and Recoil. A few runs off the Pistol Triple and we had to head home--only half a day as my son has a late day hockey game--can't wear down my Defenseman too much! :)

Overall, yes, bitter cold but tolerable with proper face protection/layers. I enjoyed the conditions on the few trails we hit...grippy and fast.

Cheers,

WinnChill

LiftLine.jpgSummit.jpgFlintlock.jpgRecoil.jpgPistol.jpg