• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

Jersey Skier

Platty will be open for a snow day on Monday February 9! Half foot down so far another several inches to fall overnight. Hope so people from here get the goods fun to Monday.

Not sure that was worth it for them. I checked the Web Cam several times today and only saw one person and maybe two pair of skis in the racks. Yesterday was great though.

ScottySkis

Platty been great all of late January into February. All of alpine zone we need 50/people and we could rent platty for 2500 split among people who sign up get Harvey ski blog in on it to we should due it soon.

moresnow

Platty been great all of late January into February. All of alpine zone we need 50/people and we could rent platty for 2500 split among people who sign up get Harvey ski blog in on it to we should due it soon.

Or you could go any Friday, not pay much more, and still have the place to yourself.

BenedictGomez

The "food thread" got me thinking, has anyone noticed the usually outstanding bar lunch food at Platty hasn't been great this year?

What happened to that 20'something guy who took so much pride in his lunches, they need him back. The last two weekends I've been there the menu was literally exactly the same (pulled pork sandwich (which tasted like a salty peppercorn, and that's coming from someone who likes salt & pepper), chicken quesadillas, Chili bread bowl). The chicken quesadillas were decent, but the food in year's past was way, way better and more advanced. Your side used to be something like a generous portion of potato salad with bacon, now it's this 1 oz plastic cup with about 2 bites of macaroni. Going directly from things like freshly hand carved roast beef sandwiches with au jus to..... this, is pretty disappointing. lol

Jersey Skier

The "food thread" got me thinking, has anyone noticed the usually outstanding bar lunch food at Platty hasn't been great this year?

What happened to that 20'something guy who took so much pride in his lunches, they need him back. The last two weekends I've been there the menu was literally exactly the same (pulled pork sandwich (which tasted like a salty peppercorn, and that's coming from someone who likes salt & pepper), chicken quesadillas, Chili bread bowl). The chicken quesadillas were decent, but the food in year's past was way, way better and more advanced. Your side used to be something like a generous portion of potato salad with bacon, now it's this 1 oz plastic cup with about 2 bites of macaroni. Going directly from things like freshly hand carved roast beef sandwiches with au jus to..... this, is pretty disappointing. lol

I noticed. But the reality was that eating a grilled steak sandwich with chimichurri sauce really wasn't the best for my afternoon skiing. Been sticking to a bowl of chili (and an IPA) and don't feel (as) stuffed after lunch.

moresnow

Do you guys prefer skiing/boarding in the Catskills to heading up to Vermont/NH/Maine?

I can't do VT as a day trip. I guess I could but it would be a lot of driving for a day of skiing.

Catskills are a day trip for me, anything further north is an overnight.

Jcb890

I can't do VT as a day trip. I guess I could but it would be a lot of driving for a day of skiing.

I hear you there. The farthest we try and go for a day trip is about 3 hours each way or less. It is about 2 hours and 15 or so to Mount Snow from where I live. However, driving home in the snow on Saturday took us 4 and a half hours!

BenedictGomez

I'm in the exact same situation.

If I had a transporter, my eastern skiing would be central & northern Vermont and ADK only.

JimG.

Staff member
Do you guys prefer skiing/boarding in the Catskills to heading up to Vermont/NH/Maine?

Depends. Last weekend I was at Gore which is 3 hours from home. First full weekend March it's back to Gore and weekend after that it's Jay Peak for 3 days. Then 3 days at Stowe weekend after that.

Gonna stay close to home (1.5-2 hours) this week/weekend. Cats suit me best for day trips.

Jcb890

Depends. Last weekend I was at Gore which is 3 hours from home. First full weekend March it's back to Gore and weekend after that it's Jay Peak for 3 days. Then 3 days at Stowe weekend after that.

Gonna stay close to home (1.5-2 hours) this week/weekend. Cats suit me best for day trips.

I have never been to Stowe or Jay Peak. I really want to go to both places. Neither of them is a day trip though. Even for me in MA, Stowe is about 3 hrs and 45 and Jay Peak is just over 4 hrs (according to Google Maps).

JimG.

Staff member
I have never been to Stowe or Jay Peak. I really want to go to both places. Neither of them is a day trip though. Even for me in MA, Stowe is about 3 hrs and 45 and Jay Peak is just over 4 hrs (according to Google Maps).

Stowe 5 hours, Jay 6 for me...3 night 3 ski day minimum.

4.5 to Whiteface, Sugarbush, MRG...2 night 2 ski day minimum.

Killington, Gore 3 hours...2 ski day with overnight preferred, will daytrip if warranted.

Cats-everything 1.5-2 hours and all daytrips.

Jcb890

Stowe 5 hours, Jay 6 for me...3 night 3 ski day minimum.

4.5 to Whiteface, Sugarbush, MRG...2 night 2 ski day minimum.

Killington, Gore 3 hours...2 ski day with overnight preferred, will daytrip if warranted.

Cats-everything 1.5-2 hours and all daytrips.

Oh nice.

How do the mountains in the Catskills compare to those in Vermont?

ScottySkis

I be their Sunday who else is coming to Platty Sunday end of February platty day February 29 and March 1.