• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 1/3/14

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 1/3/14, 1/4/14

Resort or Ski Area: Plattekill

Conditions: Powder

Trip Report:

Wacky weekend for me, I set my alarm for 4 AM, and fell asleep around 11:30. I awoke at 1:30 and couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to shovel my driveway. I ended up hitting the road around 4:30. I almost decided to travel to Oneonta on rt7, as I was afraid I wasn't supposed to be traveling on I 88. The roads were actually pretty decent. I was able to travel comfortably at 55-60 mph. I got to Oneonta about 6, and thought I'd arrive at Platty way early, this didn't turn out to be the case. I pulled in at 8:15.

Platty had received 14" overnight. There weren't a ton of people there early on, so fresh tracks were to be had all morning. The double was not spinning until an hour or so after opening, but all the trails in that pod can be accessed via cross trails a little further down than the summit. With all the doom and gloom about the brutal temps, my car read 1°, I overdressed and was sweating by balls off after a couple runs, even with the vents on my jacket open. I had to stop and shed a layer, and swap my Mad Bomber hat for my helmet. My goggles iced up on my first run.

View attachment 10126
Freefall, only a couple tracks prior to mine.

View attachment 10127
Looking up Freefall, still virgin

View attachment 10128
Nice tree shot off of one of the bike trails.

View attachment 10129

View attachment 10130
Hybrid wood/gas fire, the grate is too high, the coals fall through, and are too far from the wood to keep the fire going.

I tweaked my left knee skiing Snow Ridge New Year's Day, powder knee? It didn't bother me at all until I took a warm up break. After it was quite painful. It's not within the joint, the petella tendon is sore, tendinitis is my guess. As I was on my way in for a break, I ran into Scotty, who had just arrived and was heading to the lift. I made one run with him, and I was done for the day, about 2. I sat by the fire for the remainder of the afternoon. I left for our motel in Margaretville, and met up again with Scotty. We decided to get a pizza, and found a place in town. The guy who took my call said it would be an hour. I waited in the room, then left Scotty to pick up the pie. I had a little trouble finding the place, and when I got there, I was told no one had ordered a pizza. WTF, I just went back to the motel, I was too tired to delve any further into it. I thought maybe I had found the wrong pizza joint. I checked my phone, nope, they were the place I called. Neither Scotty, nor I, had eaten lunch, and I was looking forward to some hot slices. I settled for a cold turkey sandwich.

Today, I didn't know if I'd be able to ski with my gimpy knee. I stopped at CVS and got an ace bandage figuring a little compression on it might help. I stuck to the groomers in the morning figuring they'd be easier on my knee than the natural terrain. I could make pain free left turns, but right turns would hurt when my knee flexed to a specific angle. Getting off the chair was the worst. I finally decided to ski Plunge, and was suprised that the soft, slightly bumped up terrain was actually easier on my knee. I made a few more runs on natural trails, then headed for home around 2.

I think all my knee needs is rest, but I may have a hard time abstaining from skiing enough to let it heal, I had planned on skiing Gore next Thursday, and Friday. We shall see.q

wa-loaf

Can't see any of your pics?

Going to make it up to Sugarloaf?

Cornhead

Something screwy going on, lost a pic in another post too, let me try again. Yes, as long as my knee is willing and able, I'll be there. As hard as it may be to believe, if I was unable to ski the rest of the season, this would still be one of my best ever. Snow Ridge has been that good, and Friday morning at Platty was one of my best days there. I'm hoping it's not so, but I can take solace in having the best early season in my life. Maybe that's why my knee is hurt, there wasn't any specific instance that I can recall, it could be from overuse. I've packed on a few lbs since last year too, I wouldn't be surprised if that is a contributing factor.

Here goes.
1388911820733.jpg

1388911864275.jpg

1388911888016.jpg

1388911922476.jpg

1388911957942.jpg
This guy is stoking the fire with a propane torch.

I hope to see you at da Loaf.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Sorry about your foot LOL. Great skiing with you to. Got Digranno pizza for dinner from supermarket. Good and tasty. Skiing early leaving around 2 today. Get before it changes over. These are some great days at Platty this winter.:)

Cornhead

Have fun Scotty, looks like the weather should hold off at least until after noon. Sorry I couldn't stay and ski with you today, rest seemed best for my
"foot". My buddy wanted me to ski with him at Greek today, I blew him off too. Be careful driving home, could get slick.

Is Scotty in real life like Scotty online? lol

Scotty is awesome, he's one of the most kind hearted people I've ever met. To answer your question, yes, and no. I'll leave it at that.;) He's coming to the AZ Summit, you'll get to meet the man, the myth, the legend of Scotty in the flesh!

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Corny, rest THAT knee partner , you have been giving it a helluva workout all season. Things hopefully will improve with some RICE therapy.

Cornhead

Corny, rest THAT knee partner , you have been giving it a helluva workout all season. Things hopefully will improve with some RICE therapy.

Thanks Warp, lying in bed with a bag of ice on it as I type. Funny having the "good" knee hurt after years of suffering with the "bad" knee. That one's been fine, knocks on wooden headboard. We'll see how it feels later in the week. Nice thing is if I do cancel my Gore trip I'm only out $12 thanks to ISKINY! Love to hit Titus and share some turns with you, I have another voucher this year. I see Snow Ridge is supposed to get pounded again with the next arctic blast. I could see myself living near this place. What do they do for work? Farming, Military, SR employee? All three visits there this year have been stellar. I finally got to ski the t-bar pod, sweet, nice trees between trails over there too.

Warp Daddy

Lewis County employment : Farming, hospital workers, agribusness , schools , Kraft and a bowling pin factory;) otherthan that retail or commute to Ft Drum,Watertown or Utica/ Rome

ScottySkis

Plsttekill was amazing today. Left at 3 pm because of ice on way and hit that. Temperatures were in 30 s most of day Sun was out no crowds great skiiers and snowboarders such great place with natural snow. Corn how your injury feel resting today?

Jersey Skier

Glad I got out there yesterday. Conditions were great as was the weather.

Not looking too good anymore.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 29