• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When have you hit "Tuna Speed"?

Wavewheeler

I was riding the lift at Hunter with these 2 guys and one of them was checking his phone and saying "Last run was 66.7 mph, I think that earned an Instagram".

LiquidFeet

What the heck do they mean by "feels like" speed? I can imagine it might feel like a Marlin is going much faster if you get speared by it.

I kept fishing around on that site until I found the explanation. If the specified creature were to have your height and weight (which you can enter at the top of the page), and if it were traveling at its documented maximum speed, it would "feel like" the quoted speed. They are trying to tell you what it would feel like for you if you travelled at that speed, but it's so convoluted that it ends up not making any sense.

jrmagic

I kept fishing around on that site until I found the explanation. If the specified creature were to have your height and weight (which you can enter at the top of the page), and if it were traveling at its documented maximum speed, it would "feel like" the quoted speed. They are trying to tell you what it would feel like for you if you travelled at that speed, but it's so convoluted that it ends up not making any sense.

I always felt that dog years or cat years were nonsensical but compared to this they are pretty concrete.

VTKilarney

I thought that I had hit Tuna Speed after my last day out until I realized that I left my ski run app in track mode during the drive home.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Seeing as I just joined the forum today, I have no clue whats going on...... Like that guy who unexpectedly walks into the orgy and doesnt know if he should just go along with it or back away slowly....

bdfreetuna

Hit this high speed going straight-out down the right side of Lynx at Sunapee midweek:

View attachment 11066

Most people are posting some low-ass speeds up in here trying to claim tunaspeed.

But this looks legit. Also Sunapee is a known mountain where high speed is easy to achieve.

Nicely done. Since my previous 74mph speed was deemed impossible by the majority of the forum-- and I'd rather not stake my reputation on the accuracy of a smartphone app -- I think you might have just posted the new speed to beat.

MadMadWorld

Most people are posting some low-ass speeds up in here trying to claim tunaspeed.

But this looks legit. Also Sunapee is a known mountain where high speed is easy to achieve.

Nicely done. Since my previous 74mph speed was deemed impossible by the majority of the forum-- and I'd rather not stake my reputation on the accuracy of a smartphone app -- I think you might have just posted the new speed to beat.

55 degree slope at Sunapee....yup dead on!