• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback 2/15-2/16, 2014

4aprice

Someone must have been looking over me this weekend. Got up early Saturday and left NNJ at about 5:45 for the 45 minute trip up to Camelback. Son had to be there at 7:20 for a team meeting and the wife and I would take advantage of our season pass 1st tracks at 7:30. Started to hit some snow at about Allamuchy mountain on 80, was light but sticking but no problem for us as we arrived at the mountain at about 10 of 7. We went to the locker room to get ready to go. It starts snowing harder. By the time we came out to go there was a fresh 3/4 of an inch of fluff over fresh cord on the groomed trails.

The mountain got about 15 from Thursdays storm and some of that had been blown around into pockets (more on that later). What had been groomed into the base is just beautiful natural snow, add this nice fluff falling out of the sky and it was absolutely great. Started with a series of groomers (skipping Rocket at this time) working the mountain west to east. Surprise #1: went for Big Pocono to Uncle Bills Way. There is a drop at the junction of these 2 trails that we love to take. My wife went for it, not noticing the sign (she was above it) saying ungroomed. She deserves great credit as she handled it great and bounced to a stop about a 1/4 of the way down a little surprised but not shaken. This is how we discovered Uncle Bills was bumped up. Not only that but between the bumps was this beautiful fluff. Continued our trek across the mountain hitting everything on the way across including Cliffhanger which had a wonderful set of moguls down the right hand side.

Surprise # 2, about 9:30 it was starting to become obvious that this was not a typical holiday Saturday because while not empty the lines were remaining short. About 10 it really started coming down. Skied several things not on the map and there were tracks in the woods next to Cliffy and pockets of pow all over the place, the snow out pacing the traffic. Broke for lunch and watched the snow pile up, still no big crowd. Came out after lunch and went bumping on Lower Cleo and Uncle Bills with that beautiful soft snow in the troughs but it was Rocket that took the cake. The bumps up top were nice but just below the initial headwall on the skiers right were uncut pockets of knee deep powder. Slashed and dashed that all afternoon till 3 when I had to shut it down to do other things with the wife. They got an honest 8-10 during the day judging from my car that I had to brush off. Went for an après ski drink and spoke with many people who have been there a long time and never seen the mountain ski this well, and never expect to see it again. It was like the mountain had been transported out of PA. Stayed over at our friends condo so we didn't have to yo-yo to NNJ.

Got up early Sunday not expecting the same result crowd wise so went for 1st tracks. Everything groomed to perfection except the 3 1/2 bump runs (Cliffy wide enough for 1/2 bumps, 1/2 groomed). Everything skied great as we once again covered most of the mountain. Crowds were busier but sticking to a combination of Sullivan Quad (singles line) and Marc Antony Chair was able to go have fun on Rocket, Lower Cleo and my trail of the weekend Uncle Bills Way. Who ever made the decision to let that bump up deserves major kudo's. What a fun run, lapped it about 5 straight time in the afternoon. The lines getting into Camelback were insane. I heard that there were at least 2 (maybe 3) accidents on the access road and it may have actually been closed for a while. I feel sorry for those people but it may have saved my day.

This probably being my last year as a Pocono home skier, I'm getting quite the send off. Blue was great at the beginning of the month, Camelback great this weekend and I'm looking forward to Elk next weekend. Pass prices for next year were announced this weekend and I'm not sure its going to be in our plans. I will try to find the time to down load some pictures and post them of this last weekend. For the Pocono's it was epic.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

A little additional information. Went up to grab boys race equipment and hit slopes for 2 hours today. Pass the tanning butter (in my best Fred Schnider Rock Lobster(B-52's) impression). Beautiful day. Lapped the Glen chair mostly hitting Pocono Raceway which had bumps down the skiers left side and was bathed in sun. Don't know if they will keep them up there but sure was a heck of a lot of fun. Little crunchy at first but got better and better each run. Lower Cleo in great shape too. Mountain still in great shape.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

spiderpig

Got up early Sunday not expecting the same result crowd wise so went for 1st tracks. Everything groomed to perfection except the 3 1/2 bump runs (Cliffy wide enough for 1/2 bumps, 1/2 groomed). Everything skied great as we once again covered most of the mountain. Crowds were busier but sticking to a combination of Sullivan Quad (singles line) and Marc Antony Chair was able to go have fun on Rocket, Lower Cleo and my trail of the weekend Uncle Bills Way. Who ever made the decision to let that bump up deserves major kudo's. What a fun run, lapped it about 5 straight time in the afternoon. The lines getting into Camelback were insane. I heard that there were at least 2 (maybe 3) accidents on the access road and it may have actually been closed for a while. I feel sorry for those people but it may have saved my day.

It had to be something. I usually get there before 8:30, but I'm trying to get my wife started on skis, taking lessons, so we were going for the 12:00 or 2:00 lesson on Sunday. Traffic was backed up to the previous exit on I-80 West, 611 was backed up, traffic was stopped at times when we finally got to the access road. After an hour and a half in the car that should take only a half hour, we finally gave up at the equipment shop, as traffic was at a dead stop. I figured there had to be an accident.

4aprice

It had to be something. I usually get there before 8:30, but I'm trying to get my wife started on skis, taking lessons, so we were going for the 12:00 or 2:00 lesson on Sunday. Traffic was backed up to the previous exit on I-80 West, 611 was backed up, traffic was stopped at times when we finally got to the access road. After an hour and a half in the car that should take only a half hour, we finally gave up at the equipment shop, as traffic was at a dead stop. I figured there had to be an accident.

Wow Ridgefield to CBK (and I see you've done it before), then only to get shut out, my sympathies. It was backed up to Bartonsville when I left that Sunday. See a lot of people from the island but not so much CT.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

spiderpig

Wow Ridgefield to CBK (and I see you've done it before), then only to get shut out, my sympathies. It was backed up to Bartonsville when I left that Sunday. See a lot of people from the island but not so much CT.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Don't feel too bad for me. We were staying at my mother-in-law's house, about 30 minutes away like I said. And I had a great day at Shawnee the day before, about which I've been meaning to write my first trip report.

Rowsdower

When I left last weekend at around 3ish it was backed up all the way to the light off the Tannersville exit. I'm glad they're doing a good business, just so long as I can get my runs in early.

4aprice

When I left last weekend at around 3ish it was backed up all the way to the light off the Tannersville exit. I'm glad they're doing a good business, just so long as I can get my runs in early.

High School spring sports have started in NJ. Prepare for long uncrowded days ahead. Clocks get changed pretty soon too giving daylight until about 7. I love spring skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ