• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Moguls.

Domeskier

Are they running the black lift on the weekends? I already have to do Gunny in stages. Trudging back up to the yellow lift in spring slush makes me seriously consider trying to get in shape. Or invest in some alpine touring binds!

2knees

Are they running the black lift on the weekends? I already have to do Gunny in stages. Trudging back up to the yellow lift in spring slush makes me seriously consider trying to get in shape. Or invest in some alpine touring binds!

try doing it with two kids in tow. It sucked on saturday but the bumps were worth it.

Domeskier

try doing it with two kids in tow. It sucked on saturday but the bumps were worth it.

You have my sincerest sympathies. Especially if they are still of an age where it's easiest just to drag them up the hill while they try to hang on to your ski poles.

SKidds

Haven't been back to Sundown in a few years, but I have to be in Hartford for the weekend and early Sat is open. Based on the current forecast (warm with showers Friday, above freezing temps overnight, and cloudy mid 40's Sat through 1:00) it looks like there could be a 4 hours ticket to ski epic soft bumps in my future. If you guys think Gunbarrel will have any trouble surviving some warm temps and rain on Thurs/Fri let me know. Thanks.

bvibert

Staff member

Sorry about that. Typically both lifts are running on the weekends, but the crowds just weren't there, so we never got the Triple Barrel (lift #2) open that day.

bvibert

Staff member
Haven't been back to Sundown in a few years, but I have to be in Hartford for the weekend and early Sat is open. Based on the current forecast (warm with showers Friday, above freezing temps overnight, and cloudy mid 40's Sat through 1:00) it looks like there could be a 4 hours ticket to ski epic soft bumps in my future. If you guys think Gunbarrel will have any trouble surviving some warm temps and rain on Thurs/Fri let me know. Thanks.

I seriously doubt that any of the terrain will have any trouble surviving through the weekend. There's tons of base depth still.

2knees

Sorry about that. Typically both lifts are running on the weekends, but the crowds just weren't there, so we never got the Triple Barrel (lift #2) open that day.

I totally understood why they only ran one lift and the majority of the people there were skiing off towards stinger/canyon/toms so it made more sense to ask a few people to slog back to lift one then the majority of the people to slog up and over to get to their trail of choice.

SKidds

Had a fun half day yesterday. Things were a bit firm early, and the bumps didn't soften until a little later than I'd hoped. They got nice between 11:30 and 12:00. Kept getting better until I had to cut out at 1:00. The middle section doesn't have the greatest lines set up, but the whole field was a fun ski.

Only been to Sundown a couple times, but it always strikes me as a great local hill. Not just because it is close for locals, but it has nice terrain for a small hill. One thing that I always look at is how great the terrain under the triple and the woods on either side are. I suspect they aren't skiable often, but I'm sure it's been done. Does the mountain look the other way on that kind of thing? If only there were reliable natural snow that would be a great on map lifeline, and a little cutting and clearing could make the woods between Gunny and Stinger great glades.

vonski

Had a fun half day yesterday. Things were a bit firm early, and the bumps didn't soften until a little later than I'd hoped. They got nice between 11:30 and 12:00. Kept getting better until I had to cut out at 1:00. The middle section doesn't have the greatest lines set up, but the whole field was a fun ski.

Only been to Sundown a couple times, but it always strikes me as a great local hill. Not just because it is close for locals, but it has nice terrain for a small hill. One thing that I always look at is how great the terrain under the triple and the woods on either side are. I suspect they aren't skiable often, but I'm sure it's been done. Does the mountain look the other way on that kind of thing? If only there were reliable natural snow that would be a great on map lifeline, and a little cutting and clearing could make the woods between Gunny and Stinger great glades.

unfortunately, the woods are not supposed to be skied. Yes after big dumps they do get some play but not the areas you are talking about but those would be some sweet lines. The patrol will generally let ya know that you should not be skiing the woods and will rarely pull a ticket for it. !!!

planb420

I frequent the woods there, even the spots he is reffering to....(Even the lift line once, I average 70+ days a years there so i know where the danger zones and lines are...also done some hiking in the summer if ya catch my drift)...never had my pass pulled :)

powhunter

Some random dude a few years ago

attachment.php

Too bad they are closed today..Would have been a great bump day..Wagons West to Hunter