• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 3/02/2014

watkin

Noticed a few Catskill threads from this past weekend so figured I'd add my own experience. Looks like there were a few of us at the same mt, yet from reading these trail reports we probably had vastly different impressions.

First a little bit of bg, this was the 2nd time I'd ever been to Plattekill. I went earlier this year for the ISKINY promotion in January.. at that point there were only a few ways down but it did give me a sense of the terrain and what I could expect if I was able to return when there was more snow and the trees filled in. I mainly ski in VT because of their generous Boundary to Boundary tree policies, but its a hike to get to even So VT for me (from Jerz), so I would love to find a closer haunt to get my pow kicks. Long story short: Plattekill delivered.

I asked about the trees at the ticket window and the response was that they were "hard" but that there was definitely enough snow if I wanted to try. That's pretty much what I was expecting since we all know what happened last week with the thaw/refreeze cycle. I left the lodge kinda thinking damn, should have kept on driving north, but I was here now, so might as well enjoy it.

Last time I was here Northstar and Sundown to Shredded Mozz were standout runs. But I wanted to try another of their double blacks so after catching 3rd chair on the triple I went straight for Blockbuster. The grooming was less than spectacular this early in the morning. The cats had left some overflow ridges of crushed ice that cluttered the slope, running over any of these at speed would buck you pretty hard. Best to just stay away.

Next I figured I'd try one of the smaller trails off the double because again they were closed when I was here last. I chose Ridge Run which turned out not too bad. A little icy in spots but nice and windy as a change of pace. It also gave me a chance to scope the off trail conditions on the way down. They weren't looking great. Trail side was pretty crusty with just a dusting of fresh from the flurries that had been falling overnight.

But I had come here for trees, so next run I got down to business. Headed to the north facing aspects off the double again. I don't remember exactly where I dropped in. I usually just cut into slopes that I find favorable with some space between the trees and just let the mountain guide me down, trying to get as close to a BC experience as I can.

Once I found a good spot I did a sluff test to check the top surface:

image.jpg

Looking good.

The untouched snow quality was so much better than expected. About 3-6" of soft surfable and sliceable sitting atop a crust hiding another 18" plus of coverage. The crust was hard enough to sit on top of, but broke easily enough to act as an extra cushion when needed.

image(1).jpg

This meant that the drops were in play, and I was discovering that the North face had plenty to go around:

image(2).jpg

Notice the porcupine hanging out in the trees tops? No I did not hit this one, a little to high at 12'+ for these conditions.

image(4).jpg

But I sure did hit this wall at 6'+:

image(5).jpg

I did another tree run after this on the south facing aspects off of overlook. Snow and the terrain wasn't as good as before, but who cares. The goods were there on the north facing slope so for the rest of the day I cycled between bomber carving runs of Northstar and Sundown (which were fantastic btw) and more Trees!! That's the beauty of their setup. A great little ski bowl, and definitely the best mt in the Catskills by far. Next time I hope to head back with even better coverage to try the other aspects.

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Glad you enjoyed. The grooming was great on Block. But those in the torchlight parade Saturday night had first tracks and everyone had to turn in the same spot for the torchlight experience....hence the mounds of snow early on sunday morning.

watkin

Ah.. I didn't come across the mounds on any other trail, so yea that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info!!

ScottySkis

Hi i was their on Sunday i am you like the hill . when they have snoe it such a gem did you see the snowmaking ocean on top of Blockbuster to the right. hopefully they start using it soon.

watkin

yea i saw it, when will they put it into use? next season?

legalskier

I cycled between bomber carving runs of Northstar and Sundown (which were fantastic btw) and more Trees!!
Nice report. My friend was there on Saturday- first timer- he loved it.

Just wondering- what kind of skis were you on?

JimG.

Staff member
I was there on Sunday with Scotty...our experiences were the same.

A great day.

watkin

Just wondering- what kind of skis were you on?

I ski Volkl Nanuq's, which are basically wood versions of their Mantras. I do about 10-20% touring so I got them for the lighter weight profile. They can still bring it on the hardpack though: great speed and wonderful edging.

legalskier

I ski Volkl Nanuq's, which are basically wood versions of their Mantras. I do about 10-20% touring so I got them for the lighter weight profile. They can still bring it on the hardpack though: great speed and wonderful edging.

Sweet. Never heard of them (I'm not hardcore BC...yet.) Does the wood make them softer?

watkin

Sweet. Never heard of them (I'm not hardcore BC...yet.) Does the wood make them softer?

They are a bit softer than metal top sheets, but you get used to it, and now I don't think I will ever go back. Volkl's wood construction is really amazing and they only chatter in isolated incidents like the ice mounds on Blockbuster from this report. Another benefit of the weight savings is they are so much more maneuverable in tight spots. Yay jump turns!!

If you want to get into serious/semi-serious touring, demo some for sure!