• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 03.13.2014

steamboat1

They said on their report that they would be grooming mostly greens and blues and blacks like Outer Limits, Superstar and Cascade. My daughter will be very happy. I don't mind some powder thrown up my way and can handle it but she just freaks out and starts yelling about "why they don't groom the mountain?". :lol:

Fortunately she's a good sport and when I get the itch to ride blacks we'll split up for awhile and meet later. I can't tell you how many times she's waited for me at the Superstar chair shaking her head. I'll get her down it someday. ;)

Your daughter would have loved Mon.-Tues. before the storm. Everything was groomed. Even Escapade, North Star, Great Bear & Vertigo top to bottom. Plus other trails like OL, Ovation & Double Dipper just to mention a few. The only trails I saw ungroomed were lower Royal Flush & Conclusion. Lower Royal Flush was closed, don't know about Conclusion.

Wavewheeler

Your daughter would have loved Mon.-Tues. before the storm. Everything was groomed. Even Escapade, North Star, Great Bear & Vertigo top to bottom. Plus other trails like OL, Ovation & Double Dipper just to mention a few. The only trails I saw ungroomed were lower Royal Flush & Conclusion. Lower Royal Flush was closed, don't know about Conclusion.

Sounds a lot like what I experienced at Hunter last week. I guess we'll have to "make do" with that 2 feet of extra snow that fell last Wednesday and Thursday. ;)

Whatever is there, I'm looking forward to skiing on it. :thumbup:

Cornhead

Holy Christ, skiing is great & you guys are still complaining.

You're not surprised, are you? I think a shift in operating hours in the Spring makes sense. Allow things to soften up after chilly nights, take advantage of longer daylight in the afternoon, no added expense to the resorts. Now, get the Hell off my lawn!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

steamboat1

You're not surprised, are you? I think a shift in operating hours in the Spring makes sense. Allow things to soften up after chilly nights, take advantage of longer daylight in the afternoon, no added expense to the resorts. Now, get the Hell off my lawn!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with the later close in the spring. A couple of areas in VT. have been doing it for several years & I assume they'll do it again this year. Sugarbush usually switches to 10am to 5pm weekday & 9am to 5pm weekend operating hours but I don't think they do it until later, maybe another week or so. Killington last year switched to a 5pm close also but I don't think they adjusted opening times if I recall correctly so there was added expense for the resort. I might be wrong. There may be other areas that switched to a later closing time also but I don't recall.

slatham

I was there too, and had also planned for Thursday to be a Magic day. Kmart was awesome. And I was very surprised that other than stage 2 of the skyship, ALL lifts ran! Sugarbush had Mt Ellen fully closed and a good part of Lincoln too. Luckily Friday was a planned day at Sugarbush and Mt Ellen was untouched!

steamboat1

Sugarbush had Mt Ellen fully closed and a good part of Lincoln too. Luckily Friday was a planned day at Sugarbush and Mt Ellen was untouched!

Kind of the reason I chose Pico over K on Thurs. Pico is closed Tues.-Wed. so all that snow that fell Wed. into Thurs. was untouched Thurs. morning. I did ski K Wed. in the all day snow & then again on Fri. for beautiful packed powder conditions.

Wavewheeler

Killington last year switched to a 5pm close also but I don't think they adjusted opening times if I recall correctly so there was added expense for the resort. I might be wrong. There may be other areas that switched to a later closing time also but I don't recall.

Right now Killington is still on their winter schedule. Would love for them to be open until 5pm. They can delay the opening until 10. It's warmer and I don't mind the extra hour to sleep and eat breakfast. I don't like getting up early and at 4 I still want more skiing.