• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

4aprice

I'm not sure how this thread got to eleventy-million pages, but does anyone know if Smuggs is likely to extend the season? (Based on what they've done prior years)

Their website says:

I want to book a week up there and stay on-property from April 12 - April 19, and god knows there's plenty of snow, but I aint booking if they're only keeping Sterling open.

Boy, I could see them going with a hard close like a lot of the west, I think that's their rep. That Jersey spring break caught a lot of us skiers with our plans for out west. (or non-plans as it turned out, next year) At least several of late season kings will be harvesting corn.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

sf77

Mohawk, in Cornwall, CT, is closing on Sunday, March 30th. This will be their FREE CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAY!!

Traditionally, we celebrate our fantastic season by saying THANK YOU to all of our valued guests, and will offer FREE lift tickets to everyone who visits us on our last day of operations, Sunday, March 30, 2014.

dlague

Last day open the 29th which is a Saturday - Dartmouth Skiway - why not Sunday like others that are done after this weekend.

BenedictGomez

Great hiking on Madonna that time of year.

Way too much work for one run.

I'd rather lap Sterling, hike the Long trail and do the slackcountry if it came to that, but the reality is I just wouldntn book a week at Smuggs if they're not going to be spinning Madonna + Sterling.

Jay Peak might be in order instead if Smuggs wimps out and closes with tons of snow.

Masskier

The unofficial word is that Burke is considering extending their season. They are going to assess the situation closer to their April 6th closing date. If the conditions warrant, they may open for another weekend or two.

They just announced that they will open for April 12-13th weekend. If they do well they could extend even longer.

drjeff

Last day open the 29th which is a Saturday - Dartmouth Skiway - why not Sunday like others that are done after this weekend.

I wonder if it has to do with the forecast for Sunday. Might not be a very pretty day on the hill, even fully clad in Gore-tex! :eek:

drjeff

Mohawk, in Cornwall, CT, is closing on Sunday, March 30th. This will be their FREE CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAY!!

Snorkels might be needed on Sunday, and not for powder purposes. The local Hartford area meterologist I was wacthing as I was on the treadmill this AM said that Sunday could see 2-3" of rain (if not more) across CT :eek: :eek:

xwhaler

I wonder if it has to do with the forecast for Sunday. Might not be a very pretty day on the hill, even fully clad in Gore-tex! :eek:

Dartmouth Skiway is hosting a Rock The Hills snowmobile climb on Sunday. Suppose they could just put the sleds on 1 side and let skiers go the other side but maybe slednecks and skiers wouldn't mix too well in the lodge :stirpot:

VTKilarney

These snowmobile hill climbs are more of a threat to the length of the ski season than I had realized. I can think of at least three ski areas that have to accommodate hill climbs.

For smaller ski areas, it's hard to fault the scheduling of a hill climb. I can't imagine they would get more revenue from skiing.

dlague

Dartmouth Skiway is hosting a Rock The Hills snowmobile climb on Sunday. Suppose they could just put the sleds on 1 side and let skiers go the other side but maybe slednecks and skiers wouldn't mix too well in the lodge :stirpot:

Especially there - no bar!

drjeff

Mount Snow's GM announced today on the passholders site that if the snow and business is there, that they will be having their annual "hunt for the Golden Egg" scavenger hunt on Sunday April 20th (although it was mentioned that they could move it up a week if situations dictated), so one can presume that at least weekends only (no word on if/when daily operations will become weekend only operations yet) Moutn Snow will be operating through April 20th :)

dlague

I'm not sure how this thread got to eleventy-million pages, but does anyone know if Smuggs is likely to extend the season? (Based on what they've done prior years)

I want to book a week up there and stay on-property from April 12 - April 19, and god knows there's plenty of snow, but I aint booking if they're only keeping Sterling open.

Their website says: Sunday, April 20 is the planned final day for skiing and riding operations on Sterling Mountain, weather permitting. However, I just called them and they plan on keeping Madonna open as well - weather permitting! Morse will be extend a week.

BenedictGomez

Their website says: Sunday, April 20 is the planned final day for skiing and riding operations on Sterling Mountain, weather permitting. However, I just called them and they plan on keeping Madonna open as well - weather permitting! Morse will be extend a week.

I knew the Sterling info, but the best glades (other than slackcountry) are off Madonna, and when I called last night they told me nothing was set in stone regarding keeping Madonna open or not. So if the person you called is more knowledgeable that's great news.

I also told them that while it's "weather permitting", you SHOULD make an announcement one way or another, because the "there's not enough business to stay open" thing becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy after a while is people THINK (or are unsure) you'll be closed. I want to book a week staying on property at Smuggs from 04/12 - 04/19 but I'm sure not going to book (or might book a competitor) until/if they announce Madonna will stay open until 04/20.