• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

〽❄❅

If I am not too late, I would love to get those Elk vouchers to use Saturday.
…if by chance you are to late i have three lift tickets that have $10 off coupons printed on them which you can have. (that is assuming you're located around Philly to get them). The rain isn't supposed to start till 4ish Saturday afternoon. You should have fun on Tunkhannock!

I was at Elk yesterday, it softened up nicely by noon, beautiful corn all thru to closing.

Unfortunately they wouldn't open Tunk because the side under the lift was shear ice! Everything in the middle and to the skiers left was just screaming "ski us", new snow from Tuesday nights 2" was wind sculpted and waiting for us in the troff of the bumps!!! I was told it was bulletproof ice underneath and the high parts of the bumps hard as rock. Ski patrol were afraid people who think they're better skiers then they really are would ski the trail just because it was there and get killed on it.

At around 2ish i was standing at the edge of Tunk with three locals who are excellent skiers/ex racers, we were thinking about ducking the rope. I wouldn't have done it on my own but would've been fine if i followed their line and would've joined in only they decided not to ski it, i don't doubt they knew what they were doing with that call.

Last edited:

dlague

I knew the Sterling info, but the best glades (other than slackcountry) are off Madonna, and when I called last night they told me nothing was set in stone regarding keeping Madonna open or not. So if the person you called is more knowledgeable that's great news.

I also told them that while it's "weather permitting", you SHOULD make an announcement one way or another, because the "there's not enough business to stay open" thing becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy after a while is people THINK (or are unsure) you'll be closed. I want to book a week staying on property at Smuggs from 04/12 - 04/19 but I'm sure not going to book (or might book a competitor) until/if they announce Madonna will stay open until 04/20.

Actually the guy that told me also said that it has not been officially announced for what it is worth. He did say they have been talking about a bunch.

MadMadWorld

I knew the Sterling info, but the best glades (other than slackcountry) are off Madonna, and when I called last night they told me nothing was set in stone regarding keeping Madonna open or not. So if the person you called is more knowledgeable that's great news.

I also told them that while it's "weather permitting", you SHOULD make an announcement one way or another, because the "there's not enough business to stay open" thing becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy after a while is people THINK (or are unsure) you'll be closed. I want to book a week staying on property at Smuggs from 04/12 - 04/19 but I'm sure not going to book (or might book a competitor) until/if they announce Madonna will stay open until 04/20.

Glad you gave your 2 cents for all of us.

BenedictGomez

Actually the guy that told me also said that it has not been officially announced for what it is worth. He did say they have been talking about a bunch.

Well, **** or get off the pot, to put it crassly. Honestly, that's just terrible business planning IMHO.

How many reservations has Smuggler's Notch likely ALREADY lost to Jay Peak or Stowe because everyone already knows those places will be open? Like I said, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Glad you gave your 2 cents for all of us.

I'm annoying like that. I do a lot of things on principal, blame my Mother who's like that too. But honestly, it's my belief that if you don't speak up on your beliefs and/or state your opinions, you have ZERO right to bitch.

And I'll wholeheartedly admit that maybe I'm incorrect, the good people at Smuggs have presumably forgotten more about running a ski resort than I'll ever know, but in this instance I think I'm correct. It just seems like common sense to me. If you leave your customers in a state of "limbo doubt", how on earth CAN they reserve with you?

mlkrgr

Waterville just announced they're pulling the plug on April 7th this year. All I can say is wow; that is early. Guess I have to make my way up and use my voucher sometime this week since I've been busy on weekends lately.

xwhaler

With Cannon going late that makes Waterville seem pretty lame.

I'd say WV knows their core demographic is off doing soccer practice and yard clean ups at this point. Realize that the crazy hardcore skiers this time of YR will almost always choose Cannon or Loon if on 93.....much better terrain at both and really not much further when u talk abt the access in to WV.

IMHO WV should instead compete for 1st to open in NH I think using the high country with white peaks DL.

Quietman

I had hoped that the Crotch would stay open again next weekend but I guess not. From today 3/29:

Come out to enjoy the last weekend of skiing and riding for the 2013-14 season at Crotched Mountain!

Guess I'll have to get up there for some final turns today. Tomorrow looks crappy!

steamboat1

Mt. Ellen was scheduled to close this Sunday, but due to the incredible snow, we plan one more special Passholder Appreciation Weekend on April 5th and 6th. GMX will run 9AM - 5PM, other lifts will run 10AM - 4PM. Thank you to all our passholders!

steamboat1

Don't forget that Pico will reopen the Golden Express, Summit Express, and Outpost Double chairs for one more day of spring skiing and riding on Saturday, April 5th, from 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Bring two non-perishable food items to the Pico Ticket Sales Center and receive a $25 lift ticket for the day. Donations will benefit BROC- Community Action in Southwestern Vermont.

Tin

I had hoped that the Crotch would stay open again next weekend but I guess not. From today 3/29:

Come out to enjoy the last weekend of skiing and riding for the 2013-14 season at Crotched Mountain!

Guess I'll have to get up there for some final turns today. Tomorrow looks crappy!

WOW, just wow. Really surprised and disappointed by this. They went April 9th last year and have better coverage this March.

Savemeasammy

WOW, just wow. Really surprised and disappointed by this. They went April 9th last year and have better coverage this March.

It would be nice if they would allow crotched pass holders to use their passes at other peaks mts after crotch closes. The longer ski season was one if the reasons we were thinking about switching from pats. There goes that...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

It would be nice if they would allow crotched pass holders to use their passes at other peaks mts after crotch closes. The longer ski season was one if the reasons we were thinking about switching from pats. There goes that...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

They do if you get the Granite Pass for $629. CM only is $419 so probably worth the extra $200 for minimum 2 extra mos

Quietman

I skied numerous glades today and the coverage was still quite good. They have some kind of major race scheduled for tomorrow, glad I don't have to be there. Not sure what is driving the earlier closing.

abc

Well, **** or get off the pot, to put it crassly. Honestly, that's just terrible business planning IMHO.

How many reservations has Smuggler's Notch likely ALREADY lost to Jay Peak or Stowe because everyone already knows those places will be open? Like I said, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'm annoying like that. I do a lot of things on principal, blame my Mother who's like that too. But honestly, it's my belief that if you don't speak up on your beliefs and/or state your opinions, you have ZERO right to bitch.

And I'll wholeheartedly admit that maybe I'm incorrect, the good people at Smuggs have presumably forgotten more about running a ski resort than I'll ever know, but in this instance I think I'm correct. It just seems like common sense to me. If you leave your customers in a state of "limbo doubt", how on earth CAN they reserve with you?
I didn't realize Smugg has much on mountain lodging and/or has significant percentage of out of town vacationers that makes hard "commitment/reserve" Smugg weeks ahead of time...

I would imagine mountains that depends largely on local day tripper traffic don't benefit much from such advance "commitment"... Local skiers only need a couple days of notice to decide NOT to put their skis away for just one more weekend. Or on the morning's drive, turn left instead of right...

So I guess I don't know if Smuggler's Notch's clienteles are like...

BenedictGomez

I didn't realize Smugg has much on mountain lodging and/or has significant percentage of out of town vacationers that makes hard "commitment/reserve" Smugg weeks ahead of time...

Smuggs actually has a fair bit of on mountain lodging, and if I were forced to make a guess, I'd imagine Smuggs is more sensitive to vacation "planners" than any other mountain in Vermont.

Their niche is built entirely around children and families, the exact demographic that might be pondering where to book for Easter week when their kids have 9 straight days off from school.

Perhaps the issue and reality is that "Spring skiing revenue" is just so.......meh.......that they dont even care that much. But I would think plenty of people would love an Easter spring skiing vacation. :dontknow:

sull1102

Just talked to Smuggs on Twitter and they told me Sterling only after April 6th, but that if they change that they'll let me know...

abc

Their niche is built entirely around children and families, the exact demographic that might be pondering where to book for Easter week when their kids have 9 straight days off from school.
9 days off from school? Is that a local thing? I didn't know schools are off Easter week.

I'm thinking of going somewhere Easter weekend but left the where part till closer to the time to allow for condition update. I would be really p*^* off if there's an issue finding lodging if lots of schools are out and people travelling...