• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How does some someone ski more than 50 days per season

JimG.

Staff member
Hit days 50 and 51 this past weekend at K.

Weather not great, rainy on Saturday and a bit snowy on Sunday. We skied about 5 hours each day. Visibility sucked both days but the snow was soft and easy to ski. K1, Superstar, and Canyon quad open. Lots of good terrain. Pitch of the weekend was Downdraft headwall (the very top) yesterday. Soft snow covered with about 3-4" of fresh cream cheese. Sweet!

If you want to hit 50 days you need to suck it up and use your water proof gear.

steamboat1

If you want to hit 50 days you need to suck it up and use your water proof gear.

That's my problem, I don't ski in the rain, at least if can avoid it. Lost a few days due to rain this year, also lost a few days due to extreme cold. Also lost 2 days having my non-skiing wife with me, that's OK I had more fun hanging with her. If I had skied everyday I was in VT. this year I'd be at right about 50 days. 42 days skiing, all but one in VT., is pretty good in my book for a flatlander from Brooklyn.

abc

LOL!

Truer words had never been uttered! :)

But seriously, there's a lot to be said about skiing in the "rain". Granted, there're constant downpours and occasional drizzle. Waterproof gear makes the latter absolutely delightful (everyone else is in the lodge or back at their condo so you have all the mountain to yourself). Still, I know of nothing that will turn a constant downpour to anything resembling enjoyable. The key being, "push" a little on the edge of that "marginal" condition and many are surprised to find some of such condition are actually quite manageable or even enjoyable, PROVIDED one has the proper gear!

That's my problem, I don't ski in the rain, at least if can avoid it. Lost a few days due to rain this year, also lost a few days due to extreme cold.
Also, what's "extreme cold" changes depending on your clothing options.

I used to write off those days automatically. But with a season pass, I can afford to head out "for a few runs" to see how cold/wet it really is. And to my pleasant surprise, I now have the gear to make what used to be "extreme" cold into "tolerably cold". And the "few runs" turned into a good part of the day! :) More importantly, I now know what "cold/wet" is actually acceptable and enjoyable FOR ME and can plan accordingly in the future.

(I didn't go out and buy a thousand dollar worth of waterproof Gore-Tex top and bottom shell. I just replace my worn out gears when needed, but keeping in mind I wanted to replace them with reasonably up-to-date technology, with an eye specifically to push that "marginal" condition with the help of the new gear!)

Last edited:

dlague

LOL!

But seriously, there's a lot to be said about skiing in the "rain". Granted, there're constant downpours and occasional drizzle. Waterproof gear makes the latter absolutely delightful (everyone else is in the lodge or back at their condo so you have all the mountain to yourself). Still, I know of nothing that will turn a constant downpour to anything resembling enjoyable. The key being, "push" a little on the edge of that "marginal" condition and many are surprised to find some of such condition are actually quite manageable or even enjoyable, PROVIDED one has the proper gear!

I used to write off those days automatically. But with a season pass, I can afford to head out "for a few runs" to see how cold/wet it really is. And to my pleasant surprise, I now have the gear to make what used to be "extreme" cold into "tolerably cold". And the "few runs" turned into a good part of the day! :) More importantly, I now know what "cold/wet" is actually acceptable and enjoyable FOR ME and can plan accordingly in the future.

(I didn't go out and buy a thousand dollar worth of waterproof Gore-Tex top and bottom shell. I just replace my worn out gears when needed, but keeping in mind I wanted to replace them with reasonably up-to-date technology, with an eye specifically to push that "marginal" condition with the help of the new gear!)

We will ski in any temp - sub zero no problem! We have skied in freezing drizzle and though the goggles kept getting coated we still enjoyed it- however, my son and wife scratched the heck out of his lens and needed to be replaced. We have also skied in the rain but honestly it was not that enjoyable. If I have to fall short of a goal because of rain - well I will try again the following year! Light rain OK but a few days this year in January and December where we opted to no go it was down right pouring!

We are going to take a different tactic next season!

steamboat1

LOL!

Believe me I have the proper gear. I just don't like skiing in rain & extreme cold. Done it enough times to know. Sometimes you really do get older & wiser.

abc

We have also skied in the rain but honestly it was not that enjoyable.
If it's really not enjoyable, there's no point.

In my case, my objective was never specifically reaching a goal of a certain number of days. It just so happens I reached a certain number when I skied & ENJOYED skiing in a few of the "marginal" days.

Heavy pouring rain which you can't even see through, I think will not be enjoyable by most, including myself. But I did quite a few days in light drizzle which I found no problem, not detracting the enjoyment of the skiing itself at all. On the other hand, if the skiing wasn't all that enjoyable (thin cover and/or slushy) to begin with, adding rain would be a nail on the coffin.

dlague

If it's really not enjoyable, there's no point.

In my case, my objective was never specifically reaching a goal of a certain number of days. It just so happens I reached a certain number when I skied & ENJOYED skiing in a few of the "marginal" days.

Heavy pouring rain which you can't even see through, I think will not be enjoyable by most, including myself. But I did quite a few days in light drizzle which I found no problem, not detracting the enjoyment of the skiing itself at all. On the other hand, if the skiing wasn't all that enjoyable (thin cover and/or slushy) to begin with, adding rain would be a nail on the coffin.

The couple times where I did ski in pouring rain it was too warm for a face mask and a bandana got too wet as a result I felt like I was getting pelted in the face with tacks!

drjeff

LOL!

Having a "home" mountain that has some type of a covered lift helps too on those days and makes the thought of getting out more reasonable knowing that you get some time each run "out of the elements"

One of my biggest vertical days this season was a rainy Saturday in December at Mount Snow. I rode the Bluebird 25 times and racked up just over 40k of verts in light to moderate rain from 8 until about 3 with just a couple of quick snack and bathroom breaks. Soft snow and NO LINES help motivate me more to wrap myself in gore-tex and get out there in conditions that "scare" many folks away

JimG.

Staff member
Having the K1 open made a big difference on Friday in the rain. And it never rained hard, we did not get soaked. We spent alot of time on the Superstar and Canyon quads too. The snow and skiing was great. Sunday was just a treat with the fresh snow up top.

I'm not much of a fan of skiing in a driving rainstorm either, especially with any increased lightening risk.

Cannonball

One way to ski 50 days per year is to work 80-100 hours per week in the off season. Unfortunately my timing was a little off this spring. I started into that schedule this week, just before I got to 50. Hoping this gives me a head start on next season!