• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Will You Remember How to Ski?

skiNEwhere

This seems to fall under the category of "the more you think about it, the more it gets in your head"

bigbog

Yes but even after skiing for 10+ years I have a lot fewer hours on the mountain...

+1...
I usually take it easy, terrain-wise, and get all parts working;-). Diving into the fun-zone has to wait a little, so most anyone I happen to ski with in the early hours on the first couple days = they're Yawning!

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

At 71 , i still just put em on and let em run . I have never had any preseason anxiety with one exception , the season after i had triple bypass surgery , my doc advised me not to fall on the incision ;).

As an ex college coach (hoops and track ) i have come to realize that if one plays tense and overthinks the game whatever it is , performance will suffer .

Do your preseason diligence , work out , get your az in shape , then clear your mind , relax and treat life and whatever you are doing as an adventure !! Life is not a dress rehearsal , live it , do the prep , then have the the ability to TRUST your prep work and enjoy the ride whatever it is . Better than 90 percent of the stuff people worry about NEVER happens .. It is a waste of time , talent and energy .

ENJOY !

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
At 71 , i still just put em on and let em run .

As an ex college coach (hoops and track ) i have come to realize that if one plays tense and overthinks the game whatever it is , performance will suffer .

Do your preseason diligence , work out , get your az in shape , then clear your mind.

ENJOY !

Don't think. Just do. So Zen ... or Nike. It works anyway.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Edd

I don't fear forgetting how to ski... But every fall i think more and more of the dangers--- mostly hitting a tree etc..

This is in my head a lot, also. Been hurt a few times. Just sitting at my desk at work, I'll sort of have flashbacks, for lack of a better word. It's the worst during preseason and then fades.

HowieT2

Takes me a run to get my ski legs and a day or so to really get in rhythm. First chairlift is a little weird making sure i have all my gear in order.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Minor adjustment each season. It takes a few days to figure out what kind of shape I'm in and to figure out how much my skills have diminished with another passing year. I've felt that way since I was about 25. That was probably the peak year of my skiing ability and it's been a gradual decline since. So, I need to adjust for that so I don't hurt myself. Last year I tried skiing park like I was 25, hurt myself and missed nearly 2 months of the season. I don't want to repeat that.

Savemeasammy

I think I worry more about showing up without my boots or something dumb like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
I think I worry more about showing up without my boots or something dumb like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

The smoker you drink, the player you get. I try to pack things up long before I actually go skiing the first day but always forget something.

skiNEwhere

+1

The smoker you drink, the player you get. I try to pack things up long before I actually go skiing the first day but always forget something.

I had a co-worker who first day out didn't forget any of his ski equipment. However, he DID forget the key to the ski rack. He arrived at the ski resort, realized his error, then ended up finding a pretty shady locksmith to open it up.