• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying used skis

Highway Star

Not sure if 163's would be too short.
I'm 5'8" 165lbs. I'm not a weekend warrior. I'm a busy parent but I'd say I'm in decent shape for my age.
I won't hesitate to play a pickup game of bball or football tho.
As far as skiing. I'm just getting back into it but I used to ski groomers and occasional off trail runs

I see.....you will outgrow most of these skis in very short order if you intend to ski more than 10 days a year and improve your skiing. You should be looking at a ~90-100mm waist all mountain ski around 175cm, unless you only ski icy groomers. Here's a very nice setup for $475 that is forgiving enough to get back into it on, you won't outgrow it, is a modern performance design, and will last a long time (100+ ski days). Definitely get the 177cm.

http://www.skiessentials.com/skis/m...-and-back-skis-w-marker-griffon-bindings.html

Review (this is a real ski):

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-nordica-hell-back

We're talking about spending a bit more, but the difference in level of ski is absolutely massive.

Make sure you go to a decent shop that can properly fit your boots. You can often get a deal on last season's models with boots too. Don't buy a crappy low end boot from sports authority or whatever. You should be able to get into a decent performance boot from a prior year for $300-400. Do this as soon as possible, November into December is really peak selling season for shops and any deals are picked over by then.

Last edited:

Highway Star

This is as good a time as any to talk about the different levels of skis that are out there. There are many different types and brands of ski, it can be very confusing with all the marketing and even reviews. But it really comes down to four levels:

Beginner crap - inexpensive, cheaply made skis that are great for learning the absolute basics of getting down the mountain. Rental skis. Commonly available for $200-$300.

Gaper crap - this is actually the biggest segment of the market, and rather profitable. Includes most cap skis and skis with system bindings, narrower waists and tons of sidecut. Sold to recreational skiers willing to spend $500-$1000, who over estimate their ability and are intermediate skiers with no hope of improvement. Poorly constructed and mass produced with much more emphasis on cosmetics than build quality, really only good for about 30 days before noticeably wearing out. Some of these skis can ski pretty well and be easy to ski on, but are very limited in performance.

Real skis - solid equipment intended for solid advanced level skiers who ski 20-30+ days a year. Usually sidewall construction, direct mounted bindings, full wood cores, occasionally metal sheets, rocker, wider waists and (actually) less sidecut. All mountain skis, performance carving skis, recreational racing skis, entry level powder skis. Typically paired with performance bindings (12 to 14 max din) that are laterally stiff and durable. Will stand up to 50-100 days of skiing on challenging terrain and conditions by a fairly aggressive skier. Many people who are on "gaper crap" overskiing their equipment could really stand to be on this level of ski, these skis are still typically pretty forgiving but also capable of solid performance. The nordica's I linked to above are in this category.

Expert/Pro skis - these are the biggest baddest meanest skis out there. If you need this type of ski, you aren't going around asking what kind of skis you need. You're already an accomplished skier probably with some sort of competitive background. These skis are almost always sidewall construction, full wood core, many have metal sheets, a largest size available of 185 to 200cm+, weights around 9.5-12lb. Very wide powder skis, "big mountain" comp skis, race construction midfats, real race skis. Typically paired with a race binding with a 16 to 20 max din. Very strong and durable. Able to accommodate extremely aggressive skiing at high speeds, and not at all forgiving of poor technique or a lack of athleticism.

Last edited:

dlague

IMO anything over 170 is a bit long for someone getting back in to it. At 5'8" that is 170 cm so matching your height. Actually a little shorter with give you a little more control. There is nothing wrong with going with a recreational ski that is less expensive for a couple of years. If you do get out ten times per season and really have a itch to ski more then you will have more knowledge about how and what you like to ski and will also have more knowledge about the gear. There is not a shop out there that would put you into an advanced ski at longer lengths. The fact is you know you budget and how aggressive you might be - just be honest about your capabilities. My suggestion would be more like 165-170 length. Learn to ski the groomers really good - not just get down. Do more advanced trails, bumps, skiing at speed, etc.

Highway Star

IMO anything over 170 is a bit long for someone getting back in to it. At 5'8" that is 170 cm so matching your height. Actually a little shorter with give you a little more control. There is nothing wrong with going with a recreational ski that is less expensive for a couple of years. If you do get out ten times per season and really have a itch to ski more then you will have more knowledge about how and what you like to ski and will also have more knowledge about the gear. There is not a shop out there that would put you into an advanced ski at longer lengths. The fact is you know you budget and how aggressive you might be - just be honest about your capabilities. My suggestion would be more like 165-170 length. Learn to ski the groomers really good - not just get down. Do more advanced trails, bumps, skiing at speed, etc.

Modern skis are extremely easy to ski on. Most people are vastly undergunned. I know 100 lb, 5' women who ski on 165cm midfats.

Ragman

This is as good a time as any to talk about the different levels of skis that are out there. There are many different types and brands of ski, it can be very confusing with all the marketing and even reviews. But it really comes down to four levels:

Beginner crap - inexpensive, cheaply made skis that are great for learning the absolute basics of getting down the mountain. Rental skis. Commonly available for $200-$300.

Gaper crap - this is actually the biggest segment of the market, and rather profitable. Includes most cap skis and skis with system bindings, narrower waists and tons of sidecut. Sold to recreational skiers willing to spend $500-$1000, who over estimate their ability and are intermediate skiers with no hope of improvement. Poorly constructed and mass produced with much more emphasis on cosmetics than build quality, really only good for about 30 days before noticeably wearing out. Some of these skis can ski pretty well and be easy to ski on, but are very limited in performance.

Real skis - solid equipment intended for solid advanced level skiers who ski 20-30+ days a year. Usually sidewall construction, direct mounted bindings, full wood cores, occasionally metal sheets, rocker, wider waists and (actually) less sidecut. All mountain skis, performance carving skis, recreational racing skis, entry level powder skis. Typically paired with performance bindings (12 to 14 max din) that are laterally stiff and durable. Will stand up to 50-100 days of skiing on challenging terrain and conditions by a fairly aggressive skier. Many people who are on "gaper crap" overskiing their equipment could really stand to be on this level of ski, these skis are still typically pretty forgiving but also capable of solid performance. The nordica's I linked to above are in this category.

Expert/Pro skis - these are the biggest baddest meanest skis out there. If you need this type of ski, you aren't going around asking what kind of skis you need. You're already an accomplished skier probably with some sort of competitive background. These skis are almost always sidewall construction, full wood core, many have metal sheets, a largest size available of 185 to 200cm+, weights around 9.5-12lb. Very wide powder skis, "big mountain" comp skis, race construction midfats, real race skis. Typically paired with a race binding with a 16 to 20 max din. Very strong and durable. Able to accommodate extremely aggressive skiing at high speeds, and not at all forgiving of poor technique or a lack of athleticism.

Thank you for the reply HighwayStar. The breakdown of different types of skis will help me make my decision.

The Nordicas you linked are very nice but way out of my price range, hence why I am looking for used.
Being a parent of an 8 yr old, unless he continues to ski, Im not sure how long I will. So making a $500 - $1000 total investment inst very wise. He just started last year but if he continues to show major interest then yes we will both be investing in new and the information you have just provided will help guide my purchase.

The only reason I have looked at any new ones is because the price of some of these cheaper packages are comparable with the used packages I have been looking at.

Really hoping to get equipped for less than $300 - total. Just to get me by for a year or two.:spread:

Highway Star

Thank you for the reply HighwayStar. The breakdown of different types of skis will help me make my decision.

The Nordicas you linked are very nice but way out of my price range, hence why I am looking for used.
Being a parent of an 8 yr old, unless he continues to ski, Im not sure how long I will. So making a $500 - $1000 total investment inst very wise. He just started last year but if he continues to show major interest then yes we will both be investing in new and the information you have just provided will help guide my purchase.

The only reason I have looked at any new ones is because the price of some of these cheaper packages are comparable with the used packages I have been looking at.

Really hoping to get equipped for less than $300 - total. Just to get me by for a year or two.:spread:

Fair enough, you should be able to score a deal locally on craigslist or at a ski swap. Just know what you're getting for your money. Good luck!

BenedictGomez

Really hoping to get equipped for less than $300 - total.

The above better not be including the boots. If it does, you're going to be miserable.

At <=$300 for good used skis/bindings, EBAY is probably your only hope. And you should strike sooner than later, because the $$$$ on those auctions will slowly increase as we get closer to ski season. There is an orgy of money spent after the first northeastern dusting of snow.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Downhill-Sk...4&rt=nc&_pppn=r1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=300

Highway Star

I like those - I was turned away because of the length. Are they decent skis? Can you tell if the bindings are any good?

THanks.

It's an Atomic Metron 9 ski from the mid 2000's, with atomic neox bindings. They are not particularly out of date, and infact they are probably just as good as most modern skis for central new york skiing. The bindings should be indemnified. Nice intermediate to advanced, forgiving all mountain carving ski. While it is a cap ski (atomic's beta construction) with a system binding, it's actually a rather good ski. Try to get them for under $100.

Hopefully they have a decent tune. Otherwise get them tuned by a shop that knows what they are doing.

http://www.epicski.com/t/118734/tuning-tips-for-atomic-metron-9-skis

Keep in mind that in 2005, they were pushing REALLY short skis on everyone. I'm 6'1" and they were trying to get me on 165-170's in every shop I went into - one of the more stupid eras in ski history. This is an intermediate to advanced level ski, and their largest size is a 178cm. You're not going to be skiing nasty bumps or tight trees, mostly crusing around on icy hardpack. The size will be fine, and you'll be suprised how easy they are to turn.

http://www.epicski.com/t/23294/review-atomic-metron-ix

Last edited:

Ragman

It's a Atomic Metron 9 ski from the mid 2000's, with atomic neox bindings. They are not particularly out of date, and infact they are probably just as good as most modern skis for central new york skiing. The bindings should be indemnified. Nice intermediate to advanced, forgiving all mountain carving ski. While it is a cap ski (atomic's beta construction) with a system binding, it's actually a rather good ski. Try to get them for under $100.

Hopefully they have a decent tune. Otherwise get them tuned by a shop that knows what they are doing.

http://www.epicski.com/t/118734/tuning-tips-for-atomic-metron-9-skis

Keep in mind that in 2005, they were pushing REALLY short skis on everyone. I'm 6'1" and they were trying to get me on 170's in every shop I went into - one of the more stupid eras in ski history. This is an intermediate to advanced level ski, and their largest size is a 178cm. You're not going to be skiing nasty bumps or tight trees, mostly crusing around on icy hardpack. The size will be fine, and you'll be suprised how easy they are to turn.

http://www.epicski.com/t/23294/review-atomic-metron-ix

Thanks so much HighwayStar. Im thinking Im more about Control than speed as most of the time I will be starting and stopping to help my son get up. On some occasions I will get the chance to fly down a run or two and if things work out in my favor a few times out with friends as fast as I can down the mountain.

So the biggest hesitation on my end with this pair is the length and sacrificing control. Im not out of shape and I consider my legs to be of average strength so if 171 is short enough to give a 5'8" guy control on packed power or ice I might just pull the trigger on these. Im thinking I can probably get them for $100.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was going to suggest that you consider Level Nine or some other online retailers. The reason being is that I find that people overvalue their used equipment and you normally end up paying way too much for stuff. That's just my opinion though. I know some people have found some great deals on used stuff but it seems every year that I go to ski swaps I become increasingly disappointed in how people want $500 for their skis that are trashed. Must be I'm going to the wrong ski swaps. Level Nine is legit. This is another good shop: http://www.ebay.com/usr/asogear?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I agree with you. Maybe the same people who are selling them had "sucker" all over their face when they bought them at MSRP! I wonder what happens to these skis? Do they all find suckers to buy them? or do they put them back away and sell them as "antiques"? ;)

Highway Star

Thanks so much HighwayStar. Im thinking Im more about Control than speed as most of the time I will be starting and stopping to help my son get up. On some occasions I will get the chance to fly down a run or two and if things work out in my favor a few times out with friends as fast as I can down the mountain.

So the biggest hesitation on my end with this pair is the length and sacrificing control. Im not out of shape and I consider my legs to be of average strength so if 171 is short enough to give a 5'8" guy control on packed power or ice I might just pull the trigger on these. Im thinking I can probably get them for $100.

These will be pretty easy to pivot, and they have a bunch of sidecut, they will be very turny. They are not a high speed ski at all.

prsboogie

These are exactly what you are looking for. Dump 200 on boots and you should be set. 325 all in!!

Ragman

Thanks guys - Im going tonight to take a look. He said he will take $80 for them, ex GF bought for him cause she wanted him to ski and he never did. Says he would just like to see them go to someone who will use them then just sit around and collect dust.

Hopefully bottoms arent too bad.

So hopefully, I will be 1 step closer.. I will keep you all posted to what I end up with.

Highway Star

Looks like you have a big ski sale coming up in Buffalo this weekend, right now would be the time to drop by a shop and try to get a deal on boots, otherwise any closeouts will get blown out at the sale.

Ragman

Looks like you have a big ski sale coming up in Buffalo this weekend, right now would be the time to drop by a shop and try to get a deal on boots, otherwise any closeouts will get blown out at the sale.

Picked up the atomics. They seem to be in good shape. Might head to ski sale for my sons skis and some boots for the both of us. Unless anyone here has any hit leads on a nice set of 100cm skis with bindings?

Thanks everyone. I will keep this thread and my other one updated with everything I get. Couldn't have done it without you guys

BenedictGomez

Unless anyone here has any hit leads on a nice set of 100cm skis with bindings?

Yeah, same as my prior advice. EBAY. That's far easier than finding a good adult set-up. Shouldnt be a problem at all finding something nice and lightly used for <$150.

Highway Star

Yeah, same as my prior advice. EBAY. That's far easier than finding a good adult set-up. Shouldnt be a problem at all finding something nice and lightly used for <$150.

Eh, ebay can be a bit overpriced unless you're really willing to hunt for a deal.