• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying used skis

Ragman

Ragman, I am a recent return to skiing guy and the first skis I bought were system skis. The bindings adjust to all adult bsl and they can be picked up for a reasonable price. K2 Atomic Völkl off the top of my head all have what your looking for. They are very easy to mount your self as well with many resources online to figure out what din to set for your height weight and ability. A little more than used, but worth it.

When you say "system skis" do you mean rentals? or demos? Im not too familiar with the lingo.

goldsbar

I know some people have found some great deals on used stuff but it seems every year that I go to ski swaps I become increasingly disappointed in how people want $500 for their skis that are trashed.

There's a local ski shop that has a room full of crap (I mean used skis) that they're selling for several hundred a pair. Not last seasons lightly used stuff. We're talking early stuff that's a decade old. You can buy brand new in the wrapper (but a couple of model years old) skis for that price!

BenedictGomez

I've bought from Sportandski (another one of the larger EBAY demo ski sellers) and had no issues. Only thing I didnt like is they wont adjust the bindings for you before shipping (probably legal fears), whereas others have done that for me.

Honestly, as long as you know what you're doing I highly recommend buying used skis on EBAY. It's not atypical to find rigs that would have been $800 to $1000 in a shop, selling for $250 to $400 with a season or two on them. Even better if you can find a nice set for sale on EBAY from John Q. Public.

Ragman

The skis have a rail type system built in and they come with specific bindings that slide onto those rails.
http://m.sportsauthority.com/ATOMI...96&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=45-2978429-2

Oh so thats why they have "Rail" skis? The guy at the local used shop was trying to steer me towards a pair of Volki Demo skis that that this 'Rail" system. He made it sound like the rails were there to get better or more edge when carving.

So is there any advantage to Rail skis besides the way the bindings slide on?

prsboogie

They say it allows the ski to flex a little more under foot. Not sure about more edge but I guess it could be true. Its just another option for you to look at.

Ragman

Advantage?..beats me Ragman. With carvers(frontside..) Since the Mesozoic Age;-)..I haven't found a need to really get as close as possible to the ski..YET, unlike a wider ski. A little height will offer a little more anglulation possiblities.. You'll enjoy it.
$.01

Yeah, the guy showed me how the bindings were raised off the ski a bit, dont remember what he said that does - if anything. Seems to me- and this is coming from someone who doesnt know much about it - that a raised binding would make balance a little more of an issue.

Highway Star

Hello all,

Im in the market for some used skis. Been searching the web (ebay,craigslist,EVO) and my question is, how do you know if you will need to get the bindings redrilled or not? I mean with most of the skis with bindings they dont tell you what size boot the bindings were set for.

Is it bad to redrill skis for binding movement?

Ive found many packages out there that I am hesitant to bite on because the ski length Im looking at (165 or so) doesnt usually come with a binding for my monster boot size (12) - I guess Im a freak.

ANy help would be great.

Thanks guys.

I would steer you away from demo skis, they may have been abused, skied out, and/or over tuned, and the bindings are designed to be adjusted quickly, so they end up being heavier, flex more, and are taller. System bindings can be adjusted to any boot size. If you ending up having to remount (by drilling) from a smaller boot size, the old holes will be inside the footprint of the new holes, which means no impact on the strength of the ski. Comments about some used gear being overpriced are true, the only stuff that holds it's value is really popular high end equipment that is hard to get at discount.

I find that evo.com is extremely overpriced lately, along with backcountry/steep and cheap. Many of the smaller retailers have better pricing - I like alpinebaseandedge and skiessentials. Signup for emails, many shops float their prices to move stock to make their cash flow for the month. Also look for coupons at other sources, like magazines. Sierratradingpost has good closeout deals, but only with their email coupons. You should be able to find a pretty nice new upper intermediate to advanced ski/binding for $300-400.

When you buy boots at a shop, get them to throw in the binding mount for free on your "existing" skis (don't tell them you just bought them online). Otherwise expect to pay $50 for a mount.

Last edited:

Smellytele

I find that evo.com is extremely overpriced lately, along with backcountry/steep and cheap. Many of the smaller retailers have better pricing - I like alpinebaseandedge and skiessentials. Signup for emails, many shops float their prices to move stock to make their cash flow for the month. Also look for coupons at other sources, like magazines. Sierratradingpost has good closeout deals, but only with their email coupons.

levelninesports.com has some good deals as well but are limited in selection.

Highway Star

Well looking at packages and stumbled across a site called levelninesports.com and was wondering if this package would be good for me. Fischer Viron Fire/Dalbello Prime Complete Ski Package

Sale: $339.00
Retail: $799.00
Save 57%

I would be a little nervous buying boots without trying them on first tho

Those fishers are very low end. Check out these blizzards on closeout for under $300:

http://www.skiessentials.com/outlet/2012-blizzard-magnum-7-6-iq-skis-w-iq-tp-11-bindings.html

wa-loaf

They sell a couple weird ski brands for low dollars - Sierra and Teton. Anyone ever bought those?

Don't know anything about them, but they have some good deals on Fishers.

Ragman

wa-loaf

Not sure what kind of skier you are. But these are the kind of skis you find mostly in chain stores or in rental fleets. Good for people starting out if thats where you fall. The K2s are list as intermediate - advanced so would probably last you longer than the others that are beginner skis. All good brands however.

Highway Star

Wow yeah some of these prices are as cheap as used. What do you all think of these? Junk or no? http://www.the-house.com/8960k2stkmf313zz-k2-skis.html

Those are beginner skis, and not really a deal at $300. Did you look at my recommendation of the blizzards? Much more ski, and the shop has a 163cm size.

What height / weight are you and what is your ability / athletic level?

Ragman

Those are beginner skis, and not really a deal at $300. Did you look at my recommendation of the blizzards? Much more ski, and the shop has a 163cm size.

What height / weight are you and what is your ability / athletic level?

Not sure if 163's would be too short.
I'm 5'8" 165lbs. I'm not a weekend warrior. I'm a busy parent but I'd say I'm in decent shape for my age.
I won't hesitate to play a pickup game of bball or football tho.
As far as skiing. I'm just getting back into it but I used to ski groomers and occasional off trail runs