• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying used skis

wa-loaf

Eh, ebay can be a bit overpriced unless you're really willing to hunt for a deal.

Maybe it's the level of equipment I'm looking for, but I always find stuff elsewhere for less than it's being sold for on eBay.

Highway Star

Picked up the atomics. They seem to be in good shape. Might head to ski sale for my sons skis and some boots for the both of us. Unless anyone here has any hit leads on a nice set of 100cm skis with bindings?

Thanks everyone. I will keep this thread and my other one updated with everything I get. Couldn't have done it without you guys

Found this flyer online for the sale:

http://upstateskiandboard.com/content/file/Epic_Final_Web.pdf

Most of the boots are pretty low end and not the greatest of deals. They have the Lange RS110 SC for $249 which is a good boot at a good price, but might be overkill for you. You should probably be on something around a 90 flex index, maybe 100. Should fit snug but not painful, watch out for boots that are too big on you. Look for something a couple years old that they can really cut you a good deal on, they should have plenty of stuff like that.

Highway Star

Maybe it's the level of equipment I'm looking for, but I always find stuff elsewhere for less than it's being sold for on eBay.

There are tons of people flipping all sorts of goods on ebay. Heck, I bought a pair of vintage atomic powder skis one year for $40 and sold them the next for like $260.

BenedictGomez

Eh, ebay can be a bit overpriced unless you're really willing to hunt for a deal.

That's far from my experience. Again, caveat emptor obviously, if you want to buy a $10 mousetrap on EBAY for $100,000, you can do that, but generally speaking EBAY is where some of the best deals can be found on......pretty much anything.

"Hunting for a deal" is the entire point of EBAY. If you're not willing to put in 5 minutes of work, you probably don't want or need the deal in the first place.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
HighwayStar - where you been all my life?!!! I read this whole thread and watched you develop a very sensible rationale for a ski purchase. Your plain-speak about "crap" really cuts to the chase in terms of what to be shopping for. I don't know how many different models are for sale, but it can be overwhelming if you don't know how to whittle.
A run or two with you, with a professorial lecture on the chairlift would be most insightful!

Ragman

Found this flyer online for the sale:

http://upstateskiandboard.com/content/file/Epic_Final_Web.pdf

Most of the boots are pretty low end and not the greatest of deals. They have the Lange RS110 SC for $249 which is a good boot at a good price, but might be overkill for you. You should probably be on something around a 90 flex index, maybe 100. Should fit snug but not painful, watch out for boots that are too big on you. Look for something a couple years old that they can really cut you a good deal on, they should have plenty of stuff like that.

HighwayStar - what about these boots? http://rochester.craigslist.org/spo/4701115786.html

BenedictGomez

You can do better than that.

Again, DONT go cheapy, cheapy, dime store whoring on the boots or you're going to be miserable.

If you want to pay $180, that's fine, you can find good leftovers for that, but do so at a reputable ski shop's sale where they can help you with fit given you dont know what you're doing. You can pay $1,200 for the best skis on the planet, and they wont be worth a damn if you have poor boot fit.

Ragman

Again, DONT go cheapy, cheapy, dime store whoring on the boots or you're going to be miserable.

If you want to pay $180, that's fine, you can find good leftovers for that, but do so at a reputable ski shop's sale where they can help you with fit given you dont know what you're doing. You can pay $1,200 for the best skis on the planet, and they wont be worth a damn if you have poor boot fit.

I went to the local used sports equipment shop and they were selling boots that looked like they had been thru WW3 for $100 to $300 Most boots Ive seen in the shop new are starting at $250.

Am I shopping in the wrong places? What should an entry level boot cost?

Highway Star

I went to the local used sports equipment shop and they were selling boots that looked like they had been thru WW3 for $100 to $300 Most boots Ive seen in the shop new are starting at $250.

Yes, that's about what they cost. Many used shops are overpriced. Only way you can get a new performance boot from a shop for under $250 is that it has to be at least 2 model years old and you have to bargin on price - which is what I'm recommending.

Highway Star

I thing you're being overly dramatic here.

Highway Star

That's pretty reasonable, and the level of boot I'm recommending. Boot is 100mm last, which is good if you have a normal foot. Too many boots in that range or lower have a 104mm last which is a pure comfort fit - thick liners that pack out quickly. Here is last years equivalent model, but note it is 104mm last. The ski swap flyer has them for $299, which is overpriced.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...kpid=2179558&gclid=CNC76IuIvsECFSgS7AodfgMAkA

I would say go to try them on, and offer $100. You can always take them to a shop and have $30 of tweaks done, but you are taking a risk. Tell them you got them while you were on vacation (lol). Boots need to be tight but no bad pressure points (massive simplification).

Last edited:

Highway Star

That's far from my experience. Again, caveat emptor obviously, if you want to buy a $10 mousetrap on EBAY for $100,000, you can do that, but generally speaking EBAY is where some of the best deals can be found on......pretty much anything.

"Hunting for a deal" is the entire point of EBAY. If you're not willing to put in 5 minutes of work, you probably don't want or need the deal in the first place.

I've checked ebay daily for nearly a decade and have about 80 saved searches currently going. I have scored seveal screaming deals over the years, after waiting for them, but most of my purchases come from other websites. Ebay is clearly most expensive place to buy a used item besides a brick and mortar shop - MANY people make a business of buying items from yard sales, estate sales, craigslist, and storage auctions, to resell on ebay. Even after fees and expenses, people typically make a good profit. If you want something specific and you want a great deal, you may have to wait MONTHS to get it - just like any other deal.

Last edited:

SkiFanE

The only time I've bought skiboots on the 'net is a pair I tried on in person first (for $750 midwinter) and found online in July for $300. But I knew the size, and that they fit me well. Otherwise, don't do it. $180 seems like a good deal unless they end up hurting you and then you go spend $300 to get something that fits. Like you've been told, don't skimp on boots, it can ruin your day.

Oh...tent sales in the fall at ski shops ski areas have best deals, I think... much better than ski shops down in MA where I live - they NEVER have good deals.

Don't know where you are shopping, but I bought my daughter some awesome Lange boots 50% off last years model after Columbus day. Still cost $300, but if you are pinching pennies so tightly that the difference between $300-180 in ski gear makes THAT big a difference, you should consider a different sport. Or cut in other areas. But DO NOT skimp on boots.

Plus if you buy used on the internet, how do you perform the sniff test?!

Domeskier

I think warmth, comfort and price are more important factors for intermediate-level skiers than performance. Even if you can get a deal on a two-year old high-end boot, I think an intermediate would probably prefer a lower-level boot in terms of fit and comfort.

BenedictGomez

Yes, perhaps that's true, but my point is the boots are the most important part of the set-up, and given he doesn't know anything about ski equipment, that's the most important part to get "help" with from a ski shop. If you send in beginners/low-intermediates to get ski boots with no help, many will pick out boots too big for them. Money down the drain.

Regardless, buying boots used without trying them on is not something I'd do for $180. I did something like this ONCE in my life, and only because they were literally new boots for $50 (4 year old model, at $50 it was worth the risk to me as I figured I could flip them for at least that much if they didn't fit) - it wound up being perhaps the best ski bargain of my life, but I know my size well, and I was familiar with the manufacturer/shell.

If you want something specific and you want a great deal, you may have to wait MONTHS to get it - just like any other deal.

BenedictGomez

The only time I've bought skiboots on the 'net is a pair I tried on in person first (for $750 midwinter) and found online in July for $300. But I knew the size, and that they fit me well. Otherwise, don't do it. $180 seems like a good deal unless they end up hurting you and then you go spend $300 to get something that fits. Like you've been told, don't skimp on boots, it can ruin your day.

"Do not skimp on boots", should be a skiing bumper sticker.

Even if you can get a deal on a two-year old high-end boot, I think an intermediate would probably prefer a lower-level boot in terms of fit and comfort.

This is a great point too. I bet a lot of skiers overpay for boots that their level of skiing isn't getting the benefits from anyway. Like the 82 year old who buys a fancy TV with 101 features, of which they dont use any.

Ragman

Don't know where you are shopping, but I bought my daughter some awesome Lange boots 50% off last years model after Columbus day. Still cost $300, but if you are pinching pennies so tightly that the difference between $300-180 in ski gear makes THAT big a difference, you should consider a different sport. Or cut in other areas. But DO NOT skimp on boots.

Plus if you buy used on the internet, how do you perform the sniff test?!

Im just trying to get back into skiing, if I find I like it and go often then more money will inevitably be spent. Right now Im on a budget but I only went once last year and felt an urge I hadnt felt in over 20 yrs. So this is me slowly getting back in, not dumping $1000 on equipment if I'm not sure how it will go for me. Hence why the thread says used. Maybe I should start another thread about the boots but I didnt want to clog up the forum with a bunch of newbie threads.

Ragman

Regardless, buying boots used without trying them on is not something I'd do for $180. I did something like this ONCE in my life, and only because they were literally new boots for $50 (4 year old model, at $50 it was worth the risk to me as I figured I could flip them for at least that much if they didn't fit) - it wound up being perhaps the best ski bargain of my life, but I know my size well, and I was familiar with the manufacturer/shell..

These boots are on craigslist - locally. I wouldnt buy any ski boots without trying them on. And for the price this guy wants I would definately try them on and if the fit isnt perfect to me he can keep them.

SkiFanE

Im just trying to get back into skiing, if I find I like it and go often then more money will inevitably be spent. Right now Im on a budget but I only went once last year and felt an urge I hadnt felt in over 20 yrs. So this is me slowly getting back in, not dumping $1000 on equipment if I'm not sure how it will go for me. Hence why the thread says used. Maybe I should start another thread about the boots but I didnt want to clog up the forum with a bunch of newbie threads.

Hahaha....you've been sucked in. There is no turning back! And now you think your kid will want to stop?! You're in it for the long haul :)

I see that you're trying on the boots, didn't know that...then yeah, go for it. But don't ever by without trying on.

And I am the crap-gear queen...my last skis were $75, ones before were $200...ones before that were a $100 used pair we bought for kiddo who didn't like them, so I used them. I am the LAST person who thinks expensive gear is needed. But boots are another story... I need new, but can't find a cheap enough pair, mine have 300+ days on them...think I'm going to spend the time this month, hoping for <$400....I'll find them, just takes time...but I'd rather continue to use these then buy something quick that hurt and are wrong for me. They are so packed out it's crazy...

Ragman

Hahaha....you've been sucked in. There is no turning back! And now you think your kid will want to stop?! You're in it for the long haul :)

I see that you're trying on the boots, didn't know that...then yeah, go for it. But don't ever by without trying on.

And I am the crap-gear queen...my last skis were $75, ones before were $200...ones before that were a $100 used pair we bought for kiddo who didn't like them, so I used them. I am the LAST person who thinks expensive gear is needed. But boots are another story... I need new, but can't find a cheap enough pair, mine have 300+ days on them...think I'm going to spend the time this month, hoping for <$400....I'll find them, just takes time...but I'd rather continue to use these then buy something quick that hurt and are wrong for me. They are so packed out it's crazy...

I do agree tho. back in the day when I used to ski after a long day at the slopes the only thing that would be bothering me is my feet. But I thought most of the time was because they were so cold.