• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

yeggous

I thought Cannon was pretty good on Saturday from about 11AM onwards... the upper mountain was still a bit icy, but manageable at least on upper cannon and tramway...

I was hoping to go to BW on sunday for their 16.17 lift tickets, but it sounds like it might not be worth it even at that rate....

I'd stop by to buy a ticket just to have on hand. That's my plan after skiing Wildcat on Sunday. Whether or not I ski BW on Sunday will be weather dependent. The forecast looks cold with maybe some snow so that is promising.

Be aware that conditions are deteriorating. Everything on West Mountain is smoked. The top of the Bethlehem Quad was getting really sketchy. They're just pushing slush up that slope every night. McIntyre was gone by the end of Sunday. Crawford's Blaze was done on Saturday. Fabyan's was getting thin and is unlikely to survive the week. Bode's and Zealand probably have enough to open, but will be sketchy. Outer Bounds was getting very thin too. It was a soft, wet sheet of ground ice.

Los

I'd stop by to buy a ticket just to have on hand. That's my plan after skiing Wildcat on Sunday. Whether or not I ski BW on Sunday will be weather dependent. The forecast looks cold with maybe some snow so that is promising.

Be aware that conditions are deteriorating. Everything on West Mountain is smoked. The top of the Bethlehem Quad was getting really sketchy. They're just pushing slush up that slope every night. McIntyre was gone by the end of Sunday. Crawford's Blaze was done on Saturday. Fabyan's was getting thin and is unlikely to survive the week. Bode's and Zealand probably have enough to open, but will be sketchy. Outer Bounds was getting very thin too. It was a soft, wet sheet of ground ice.

That's an ugly picture you've painted! Man... Oh well. Thanks for the intel...

yeggous

That's an ugly picture you've painted! Man... Oh well. Thanks for the intel...

Just being honest. Checking tomorrow's report they closed Fabyan's as expected. Bretton Woods uses the dust and run technique when making snow. The advantage is that they save money and expand terrain rapidly early season. But when spring comes in a lean year there isn't much to work with. This is especially true in areas that get a lot of sun exposure. They are generally able to get away with this because their mellow terrain doesn't require much snow to cover. That could be their saving grace if they can get some snow on Saturday night.

wtcobb

Agreed on yeggous' description. Saturday it was very thin and patchy - hit a few fast grass areas, some by choice, others not so much. The base wasn't a slush pile as much as a pool by the end of the day. Very fun day for the beach party, but even then I wondered how it would fair another week with rain and warmth in the forecast.

That said, I have two vouchers to BW if anyone is interested? With such a ringing endorsement, don't all come clamoring at once...

JDMRoma

I think BW is down to 19 trails now so in reality 3 or 4 ways down and no rosebrook lift today.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Avalanche is closed now and only barons at Mitty

It was very thin in the upper section on Wednesday (top 30' or so), the rest appeared to be in good shape. Would probably have to walk back to Zoomer. I'm assuming you have to walk across to Zoomalanche to get to Paulie's as well.

Funky_Catskills

It was very thin in the upper section on Wednesday (top 30' or so), the rest appeared to be in good shape. Would probably have to walk back to Zoomer. I'm assuming you have to walk across to Zoomalanche to get to Paulie's as well.

Any chance of pushing snow around?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Pic from the Mitty chair on Saturday.

attachment.php

Sweet shot. I love the contrast and layering.