• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Los

Skyline = mittersill still open

Skylight upper mountain ! Never opened this year. Poached but never on the list as open

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The snow report tuesday said skylight was open! Sounds like it was open for a day and closed. Their trail count was up to 61 on Tuesday, a season high.... But again, that lasted for 24 hrs. They were back down to 51 on Wednesday...

Los

I guess it is subjective as to what is worthwhile to ski but to me it did not look promising going forward. Have to see what happens.

Right... I'm assuming they make it somehow at least through Bodefest, but yeah, my expectations between now and then are absolutely rock bottom.

Severance

I was there weds. It wasn't great. Upper mountain was better off but everywhere else was pretty icy and a lot harder than I expected considering the temps. Some pics for you here (last 2 are mittersill, rest are from the main mtn. ): http://imgur.com/a/jKCr5

Mittersill wasn't quite as bad as it looks here but I apparently didn't get a picture up top.

Cannonball

The snow report tuesday said skylight was open! Sounds like it was open for a day and closed.

Which sucks and is 100% attributable to the fact that this year they diverted snowmaking effort away from the main mountain and over to Mittersill. Skylight is one of Cannon's best trails and they completely neglected it. I guarantee that they opened it that one mid-week day specifically to prevent people from saying that it never opened this year.

Tell me again about the Maxx and Peaks offers.....

yeggous

Which sucks and is 100% attributable to the fact that this year they diverted snowmaking effort away from the main mountain and over to Mittersill. Skylight is one of Cannon's best trails and they completely neglected it. I guarantee that they opened it that one mid-week day specifically to prevent people from saying that it never opened this year.

Tell me again about the Maxx and Peaks offers.....

Smart man. Come to the Peaks Pass. Top to bottom skiing at the Cat in early November. Closing day in May. Night skiing at Crotched until 3am. Lift lines at Mt Snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Cannonball

Smart man. Come to the Peaks Pass. Top to bottom skiing at the Cat in early November. Closing day in May. Night skiing at Crotched until 3am. Lift lines at Mt Snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

I love Wildcat. I end up buying early and late season tix there anyway. Other than the significant extra drive, there's no reason NOT to buy what Peaks is offering. I could be swayed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What's planned for improvements at Cannon next summer regarding snowmaking?

Training Hill right? Man, I could see the potential for that being even more frustrating than this year if we have a bad year. That's a huge amount of terrain to cover meaning possibly even more neglect on the main hill.

Hopefully we have a normal winter and we get a month or two of 100% open terrain in Northern NH. The limited terrain at Wildcat also got frustrating at times this season. Basically zero advanced terrain available except for maybe a dozen days

SIKSKIER

Skyline = mittersill still open

Skylight upper mountain ! Never opened this year. Poached but never on the list as open

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Wrong.It was on the snow report and as I said,they opened it Wednesday along with a few other natural trails that had not opened yet.1 day only I believe.

SIKSKIER

What's planned for improvements at Cannon next summer regarding snowmaking?

Training Hill right? Man, I could see the potential for that being even more frustrating than this year if we have a bad year. That's a huge amount of terrain to cover meaning possibly even more neglect on the main hill.
Totally agree with this post.

SIKSKIER

Couple if pics from this weekend.First 2 are from Saturday.The first ride up the detach got our attention fast.Socked in with heavy fog/low clouds,it looked horrible.Totally bulletproof snow and fully iced Upper Gremlin which was closed.We figured we would head to the top and see if it looked better.About 3/4 up the Cannonball we pop through and find big blue sky!What a surprize.Lastr one is from Sunday looking down the notch toward Loon from the Ridge trail near Vista Way.There was no fog except a little trying to come up the notch and into the Zoomer pod.It Quickly cleared.The skiing was fabulous on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_093150312.jpg
    IMG_20160326_093150312.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20160326_094046677.jpg
    IMG_20160326_094046677.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20160327_103811218_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160327_103811218_HDR.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 156

yeggous

Why was Cannon so nasty on Saturday? Wildcat first thing on Saturday had a bit of fog lingering in the Great Gulf and over Gorham / Berlin. But the mountains were blue bird clear from the time I arrived in the morning. Looked like a great day for Tuckerman's. The conditions at Wildcat were firm but still quite good in the morning. It was crisp, dry frozen granular that ripped up nicely. By lunch it was an excellent creamy surface. They even ran the lift an extra half hour to 4:30pm.

Sunday I was at Bretton Woods. On the drive over from North Conway the valley was dreary and socked in with fog. As soon as you came through Crawford Notch the skies cleared and temperatures spiked. The morning was soft, and afternoon was sloppy mush. Bretton Woods is melting out fast. Their trail count is dropping by the day. Sounds like I should have gone to Cannon instead.

Los

Why was Cannon so nasty on Saturday? Wildcat first thing on Saturday had a bit of fog lingering in the Great Gulf and over Gorham / Berlin. But the mountains were blue bird clear from the time I arrived in the morning. Looked like a great day for Tuckerman's. The conditions at Wildcat were firm but still quite good in the morning. It was crisp, dry frozen granular that ripped up nicely. By lunch it was an excellent creamy surface. They even ran the lift an extra half hour to 4:30pm.

Sunday I was at Bretton Woods. On the drive over from North Conway the valley was dreary and socked in with fog. As soon as you came through Crawford Notch the skies cleared and temperatures spiked. The morning was soft, and afternoon was sloppy mush. Bretton Woods is melting out fast. Their trail count is dropping by the day. Sounds like I should have gone to Cannon instead.

I thought Cannon was pretty good on Saturday from about 11AM onwards... the upper mountain was still a bit icy, but manageable at least on upper cannon and tramway...

I was hoping to go to BW on sunday for their 16.17 lift tickets, but it sounds like it might not be worth it even at that rate....