• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon awarded 2017 ncaa skiing championships

skiberg

Cannon has been awarded the 2017 NCAA skiing championships. This is a really big deal and Mittersill will host some of the best skiers in the world. These are quite exciting and will be filled with Euro's watching their kids race on Baron's. Way to go Cannon and FSC.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, I take it this means they've completed the fund raising they needed to complete the full devastation.....er rather conversion over at Mittersill?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I remember when my alma mater hosted the NCAA's in like 2001. The Snow Bowl was hopping. What a cool event.

The fact that they've given it to a ski area that is not (yet) affiliated with a NCAA school is pretty impressive. This will be something special to see.

Savemeasammy

Please keep us updated about this exciting event. So that I don't accidentally go to Cannon that day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIKSKIER

UNH is the host.This was announced about a year ago had nothing to do with the Barons trail and is not the first time Cannon have hosted the NCAA's.IIRC at least twice while I was skiing there.Definately 1978 and I thought in the 90's also.Dartmouth hosted this in 2003.These skiers are very impressive to watch freeskiing all over the mt.

skiberg

UNH gets it, but it has everything to do with Baron's. Without the Baron's and Taft slope, no NCAA Champs at Cannon, it would be somewhere else. In fact if for some reason its not completed it will still go elsewhere, just like an Olympics.

AdironRider

Do eurotrash parents send their kids to school in the US to compete in college en masse?

I say this as there are only a handful of D1 ski teams, and at my alma mater, there wasn't one foreign kid on the team, at least for the actual skiing events.

skiberg

Yes, US College Ski teams are now filled with Euro's who use the D1 racing as a training ground for the World Cup. D1 has become big time racing and many of the D1 racers now move right on the compete in Europa Cup and World Cup upon graduation. Great for competition but now nearly impossible for a US kids to ski at D1 level.

tree_skier

It's not so much of an issue for the 18-19 y/o coming over it's more of the one's coming off of the world cup. You get the 22-25 y/o who just got squeezed of the world cup team for the next thing coming over and getting a full ride for an education by using their skiing ability. The US doesn't have the depth to fill too many of those spots but there are a few. Also for most of the US when they graduate they are either on the world cup or heading to college and when the 18y/o jump into the 22-25 y/o it can be a huge shock as the physical differences. As a comparison there aren't many true college freshman that could play in the NFL.

Puck it

It's not so much of an issue for the 18-19 y/o coming over it's more of the one's coming off of the world cup. You get the 22-25 y/o who just got squeezed of the world cup team for the next thing coming over and getting a full ride for an education by using their skiing ability. The US doesn't have the depth to fill too many of those spots but there are a few. Also for most of the US when they graduate they are either on the world cup or heading to college and when the 18y/o jump into the 22-25 y/o it can be a huge shock as the physical differences. As a comparison there aren't many true college freshman that could play in the NFL.

Hockey in D1 is the same way. 20-21 yr old freshman out of juniors. Not like when I played.