• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Friday or White Friday?

thetrailboss

Staff member
So did any of you shop on Black Friday or did you ski/ride?

I avoided the stores as always. Had a nice day with the family at Alta. It was my daughter's first day on skis:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Aren't the holidays supposed to be about family?

If you skied/rode, where did you go?

If you shopped, any good deals on outdoor gear or toys?

Edd

Rather be kicked in the balls than shop on Black Friday. I worked on Thanksgiving night here in seacoast NH. Went out for Chinese around 9pm and the mall in Newington was swamped with cars. TGI Fridays lot was full. It happens every year but never ceases to amaze me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skied Okemo.......was kind of meh, but plenty of elbow room.

Killington on Sunday while very good conditions wise was probably about as crowded a shopping mall on Black Friday. It's always an adjustment every time I ski there. They truly have the most crowded trails in the east and sort of a free for all attitude among their skiers and riders both on the trails and in the lift lines. Savemeasammy and I got passed at least a couple of times in the lift line. We thought folks were quading up with us, only to push on past us. Very strange.

ScottySkis

Hunter brought my ski discount card they sell in Friday. So I got a good deal and got to ski fun day it was.

SkiFanE

First year in many we were home and not at SR for Thanksgiving. So promised my teen girls we'd go black friday shopping. They've been planning for a month. So I realized Weds that their shopping was going to take place in the mall a couple miles from our house. Not all over the place. So I dropped them and a friend at Mall 7am Friday (husband picked them up) and drove to Sunday River for skiing from noon on - omg...what conditions from the Thanksgiving storm. Then all day Saturday (omg..bumps!), then back home - they hardly missed me :) Noone wanted to ski, I couldn't stay home knowing what was on the mountain. So...win win - got my black friday obligation in to girls and some awesome skiing in. (edited: husband would have loved to ski, but he's injured... was cleared to finally ski this weekend :) )

dlague

Skied Okemo.......was kind of meh, but plenty of elbow room.

Killington on Sunday while very good conditions wise was probably about as crowded a shopping mall on Black Friday. It's always an adjustment every time I ski there. They truly have the most crowded trails in the east and sort of a free for all attitude among their skiers and riders both on the trails and in the lift lines. Savemeasammy and I got passed at least a couple of times in the lift line. We thought folks were quading up with us, only to push on past us. Very strange.

Part of the natural features - PLADES (here people are the trees). Dodging people while others are dodging you! The toughest spot around this time of year is the lower section of Bunny Buster. Beginners - advanced skiers all converge.

Savemeasammy

I spent Black Friday doing some work for my in-laws. Not quite as fun as skiing...

I spent Sunday making turns at Killington with deadheadskier. I don't think we spent more than 5 minutes in any line, but the trails were busy. I think the only run we had to ourselves was downdraft headwall...!

My legs are still sore 3 days later. That's a sure sign of a great first day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

Skied at Stratton, then hung out with friends across the street at night. It was a darn good day. Looks like your daughter had a blast Trailboss.