• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maine Ski Safari ! Titcomb first, Sunday Jan 18th 2015

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
After a satisfying day before at the 'loaf, with so many community areas within reach, and a reason to be in the area, it was time to begin to get to the grass roots of our sport.

First stop was at the mighty Titcomb. Not far from Waterville, it lived up to it's motto as the friendliest place around. It was a 30 second walk to the lodge :) A vintage, diminutive base lodge, a classic (a little drafty, but not so much today) with trophies and mementos going back decades and decades. A beautiful fireplace they keep stoked and a lot of old signs on the walls. Full of old picnic benches, we were good to go. The photos describe it well.

Some while back, they put an addition on, which has a real food service area, if you want to call it that. Everything is home made. With pots of delicious soup made by volunteers, how could one go wrong? They made me a breakfast sandwich that put Mc'Ds to shame. The moms were setting up tables for a super bowl party, right next to the fireplace.

I was embarrassed to find out from a volunteer that there are at least another dozen community areas in Maine that were not on my bucket list. Probably the most foreboding is the one in Presque Isle. I'll need a damned good reason to go there!

I was told of the John Deer 4 cylinder diesel engine just put in two years ago to power the T bar. Nobody knows how long the last engine was in, but it was a long time ago.

I bought my $15 lift ticket and walked over to the lift. Literally. No big hoofin' to get anywhere. Everyone was having fun, and boy, the kids were kids having fun, messing around on skis and boards.

No fooling, the runs skied better than many of those at Sugarloaf the day before. Well, the temperature was 40 degrees warmer, so that helped. But they do have a groomer, and it showed. They try to stay open until March, but often they shut down end of Feb. All of the trails were in perfect condition. The Beagle Trail / terrain park was more of an intermediate in my book, but I guess they teach 'em young to be good!

the Main was a beautiful expanse of skiable terrain. the trails are pretty old-style - you can tell they have not tried to "improve" anything. The narrower trails has a really strange amount of washboarding going on. I could not really figure it out. Made it difficult to turn, but being out of control didn't help me any ;) My trail of the day was Deception. A black diamond, it was one of the funkiest. I can't think of any trail in the northeast like it. It's wide, it's narrow, it's got a really strange cant and pitch to it - strange in a good way. I got really good speed on it, which was fun. It was not a predictable trail at all. I can't put my finger on it, but it clearly left a smile on my face. Little jumper was as steep and narrow as some of the big boys trails, just a bit shorter. A little brush poking through, but I've seen much worse. In all, the ski area has a full blanket of show.

If you're too young to remember T bars and want to get close to a family run area, this is it. Thinking I would spend but a half hour, I was there for two hours having too much fun. The weather report was calling for rain, so I had to move one.

Next Stop, Spuce Mountain in Jay, Maine.

Attachments

• WP_20150118_003.jpg
    WP_20150118_003.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20150118_007.jpg
    WP_20150118_007.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20150118_012.jpg
    WP_20150118_012.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20150118_011.jpg
    WP_20150118_011.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20150118_040.jpg
    WP_20150118_040.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 103

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
More Photos

More photos
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20150118_031.jpg
    WP_20150118_031.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 208
  • WP_20150118_018.jpg
    WP_20150118_018.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 209
  • WP_20150118_024.jpg
    WP_20150118_024.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
  • WP_20150118_029.jpg
    WP_20150118_029.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 207
  • WP_20150118_035.jpg
    WP_20150118_035.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 207

Tin

Just checked out their site. Awesome looking place. They seem to do a lot with the community as well.

Cornhead

Cool, thanks for posting. They set up their Superbowl parties early in ME! :p I'll have to check my "runaway hitches" before I try to ski there.

Cornhead

Cool, thanks for posting. They set up their Superbowl parties early in ME! :p I'll have to check my "runaway hitches" before I try to ski there.

Cornhead

Oops, sorry for the double post, feel free to delete one.

bigbog

Another nice TR billski. Yeah, that's Big Rock...a few miles south of Presque Isle. Actual community of Mars Hill...often has snow, by way of its lattitude, when trout season starts...with a few nice limestone streams around the area, to scratch the winter flyfishing itch along with one of the few last trips of the season..

PS: Think you meant Farmington, not Waterville...the two names do have a similar flavor..

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Waterville

Another nice TR billski. Yeah, that's Big Rock...a few miles south of Presque Isle. Actual community of Mars Hill...often has snow, by way of its lattitude, when trout season starts...with a few nice limestone streams around the area, to scratch the winter flyfishing itch along with one of the few last trips of the season..

PS: Think you meant Farmington, not Waterville...the two names do have a similar flavor..

I had personal business in Waterville. Sorry about that.