• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

QBurke skier death

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was not an individual thread posted prior. It was mentioned in the monster Burke thread. Usually when such a tragedy occurs in our sport an individual thread is posted. So, this thread is definitely appropriate and not a repeat.

RIP to the young lady. This one is particularly sad because according to a prior article written (not this linked article) it sounds like she wasn't looked for right away after her accident and she was not found until near the end of the day. I hope she did not have to suffer.

steamboat1

RIP to the young lady. This one is particularly sad because according to a prior article written (not this linked article) it sounds like she wasn't looked for right away after her accident and she was not found until near the end of the day. I hope she did not have to suffer.
According to my previously linked article she wasn't found until 5:30pm, well after closing time.

dlague

Carriage Road trail.

That trail and Deer Run are relatively narrow with high tree density along and close to the edge of the trail. However, generally pretty flat and can get crowded with all levels skiing together.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Bummer. I remember mabye 2 seasons ago it felt like it was post after post after post about deaths across the northeast.

VTKilarney

That trail and Deer Run are relatively narrow with high tree density along and close to the edge of the trail. However, generally pretty flat and can get crowded with all levels skiing together.

Carriage road has two steep sections.

dlague

I am surprised her skiing partner was not waiting before he/she got to the base. At a minimum stop to look back once in a while. Similar thing happened at Killington last year where a woman skied off the trail and was not found until later. When skiing with others it is common courtesy wait at trail junctions at least or an open area. Feel bad for the woman.

steamboat1

I am surprised her skiing partner was not waiting before he/she got to the base. At a minimum stop to look back once in a while. Similar thing happened at Killington last year where a woman skied off the trail and was not found until later. When skiing with others it is common courtesy wait at trail junctions at least or an open area. Feel bad for the woman.
It's my understanding they were not skiing together at the time for whatever reason (maybe different ability levels). Her friend didn't alert ski patrol until after she failed to show at the end of the day.