• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

nyc chick looking to share ride up to killington this weekend

C-Rex

I get 2 days and the wife gets a week then she's back to work. I'm overriding her company's 12 week policy. I need to be able to afford next year's season pass and that's not happening with her staying at home sitting on her ass.

Haha! The foot has come down!

BTW, I think is a great discussion. Many good points all around.

Higgl

If a woman is the best person for the job, she will get it, especially when it comes to big business. No board of directors is going to make a man CEO when they have a woman that will make them more money.

That has been proved time and time again to be just not true. If you don't believe me, walk into any college campus around the world and ask a professor who studies this kind of stuff in the psychology department.

MadMadWorld

"IN general"...there are always exceptions. What are stats for two family households with women making more than men? Few...but they are there. I completely stand by my arguments that woman and men are different...but does that mean we have to be unequal? To be equal we must do the same/be the same as men? We must work as hard as men are willing to move up the ladder? MAYBE, just MAYBE if the corporate world was different - for men and women...it would be better off for the equal working. IE - Europe...they get tons of vacations, don't have such long work days...so maybe it'd be easier for men to slow down too. But as long as the mentality is that you need to work your ass off, travel and hand over your life to a company to succeed - working mothers will never succeed. Because...like I said...there ARE differences between the genders, and I don't know why you think we have to be exactly the same to have equality - in my opinion, that's wrong...or else it's called "special treatment" b/c we can't live up to corporate ideals that are set for men (who have stay at home wives). I am unique in that when I did do the SAHM gig for 18mos...I was not happy...really wanted to get out of the house - but neither do I want to work 60 hour work weeks.

I'll be honest, your claim that women are different then men so they should be treated that way sounds like a big excuse. If you think that applying the same rules to both men and women is not enough then I really don't know what to tell you. Even the NAACP won't bother with that one! If you want things to be different go make it happen. That's what is great about this country. You want a gym that only allows women? Great I wish you the best! Start a company that allows women more benefits or even an organization that promotes change to employment policies. It's easy to sit on our ass and complain about shit not getting done.

gmcunni

March 13 is our due date. I get 2 weeks paternity and then 1 week vacation. The wife gets 12 weeks maternity.

I get 2 days and the wife gets a week then she's back to work. I'm overriding her company's 12 week policy. I need to be able to afford next year's season pass and that's not happening with her staying at home sitting on her ass.

my wife gave birth to our son on a friday evening and was back at work the following Monday. true story (but not the complete story)

C-Rex

So these professors can see alternate timelines for our universe? How can they know that the best person wasn't the one hired? How do they know that the woman candidate would have made them more money but the man got hired anyway? They don't. Identical resumes do not make people equal. A better resume doesn't even necessarily make a person better for a job. I have no doubt that sexism exists and that women are not hired in some situations specifically because of their gender, but I think it's blamed far more often than it should be. Perceptions take time to change. Show that you can do the job well and, over time, more women will be hired. In another 3 or 4 generations I'd be willing to bet that the statistics change dramatically. Don't forget that the generations in charge mostly grew up when women were far less common in the workplace. You just can't expect it to change overnight.

Higgl

Yes! You are exactly right C-Rex. That's all I'm arguing here. In three or four generations, yes, the workplace is bound to be more equal because yes the attitudes of those in charge today are oftentimes anti woman because it is their biased perception that because they are a woman, they can't do the job as well. That was what I was trying to argue with that point.

And there are jobs where some women can't do it as well as some men, for example a heavy lifting manufacturing job. However, for something like technology jobs, or scientific research, etc, women are just as proficient as men but men get promoted easier, paid more, and hired more because of the attitudes of those in charge. It might not even be conscious either! The reason those attitudes exist, in part, is because of the implicit stereotype associations everyone has about women in the workplace. These stereotypes need to go away in order for those associations to go away and this thread is NOT helping that. You are in fact perpetuating the stereotypes.

Yes perceptions don't change overnight, however, how are they to change at all when people are screaming incredibly sexist stereotypes to the high heavens on this thread? People reading this thread and hearing those opinions are influenced by it and overtime when they grow up in a world with those opinions begin to take them on themselves. Thus it becomes their opinion that women can't perform as well and whatnot. Hence why "like a girl" means something fierce to a little 4 year old girl, but to that same girl as a 17 year old "like a girl" has a negative association.

BenedictGomez

No board of directors is going to make a man CEO when they have a woman that will make them more money.

That has been proved time and time again to be just not true.

Liberal round belief 1) Corporations only care about money, and businesses will do whatever they can to make more money.

Liberal square belief 2) Corporations pay women 80% of what men make, and will usually hire less capable men than a woman more capable of leading the business to financial success.

Truly amazing.

Even more remarkable when one considers that labor is a businesses #1 expense.

round-peg-square-hole.jpg

MadMadWorld

Yes! You are exactly right C-Rex. That's all I'm arguing here. In three or four generations, yes, the workplace is bound to be more equal because yes the attitudes of those in charge today are oftentimes anti woman because it is their biased perception that because they are a woman, they can't do the job as well. That was what I was trying to argue with that point.

And there are jobs where some women can't do it as well as some men, for example a heavy lifting manufacturing job. However, for something like technology jobs, or scientific research, etc, women are just as proficient as men but men get promoted easier, paid more, and hired more because of the attitudes of those in charge. It might not even be conscious either! The reason those attitudes exist, in part, is because of the implicit stereotype associations everyone has about women in the workplace. These stereotypes need to go away in order for those associations to go away and this thread is NOT helping that. You are in fact perpetuating the stereotypes.

Yes perceptions don't change overnight, however, how are they to change at all when people are screaming incredibly sexist stereotypes to the high heavens on this thread? People reading this thread and hearing those opinions are influenced by it and overtime when they grow up in a world with those opinions begin to take them on themselves. Thus it becomes their opinion that women can't perform as well and whatnot. Hence why "like a girl" means something fierce to a little 4 year old girl, but to that same girl as a 17 year old "like a girl" has a negative association.

I think most people hear agree that both men and woman should be treated equal but arguing that to be equal women have to be treated differently is wrong. That is a much more confusing message

Higgl

Why am I saying we are supposed to treat women differently? When did I say that?

rocks860

Let me ask a simple question to all the women asking for equality. Do you put the toilet seat back up after you pee?

Higgl

Liberal round belief 1) Corporations only care about money, and businesses will do whatever they can to make more money.

Liberal square belief 2) Corporations pay women 80% of what men make, and will usually hire less capable men than a woman more capable of leading the business to financial success.

Truly amazing.

Even more remarkable when one considers that labor is a businesses #1 expense.

round-peg-square-hole.jpg

http://www.aauw.org/research/the-simple-truth-about-the-gender-pay-gap/
Affects women without children too.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/27/news/economy/global-gender-pay-gap/

bdfreetuna

And just what exactly do you think feminism is? Feminism is striving for and believing in gender equality, nothing more.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to describe feminism would be a mentality of perpetual victimhood, piggybacking on the worst elements of social marxism and political correctness aimed at shaming people with traditional values. Labeling people as "Sexist" "Bigot" "Misogynist" etc whenever possible (not that it has to be true). Pretending to care about the plight of women although usually ignoring parts of the world where women endure real suffering (a lot of Muslim nations especially) where it would not be politically correct to make any criticism.

And then distorting reality to the extent that killing unborn children is "pro-choice". Using terms like "war on women" to describe those who would like to protect unborn women (and men) from being killed, at least whenever possible. Distorting reality again by using the absurd 77 cents per dollar figure which is one of the most debunked stats ever introduced.

And then on top of that holding a lot of resentments against men, the nuclear family, the "patriarchy".

I'm ashamed to say I used to call myself a feminist before I realized it's not at all about equality. A good feminist is usually just an annoying, politically correct preachy liberal whose dystopian fantasy would be a nightmare for most reasonable people who don't frame every issue as oppressed vs oppressor.

A bad feminist is someone who's become a bigot in the name of fighting bigotry.

Higgl

That's one way to look at it. Another way to describe feminism would be a mentality of perpetual victimhood, piggybacking on the worst elements of social marxism and political correctness aimed at shaming people with traditional values. Labeling people as "Sexist" "Bigot" "Misogynist" etc whenever possible (not that it has to be true). Pretending to care about the plight of women although usually ignoring parts of the world where women endure real suffering (a lot of Muslim nations especially) where it would not be politically correct to make any criticism.

And then distorting reality to the extent that killing unborn children is "pro-choice". Using terms like "war on women" to describe those who would like to protect unborn women (and men) from being killed, at least whenever possible. Distorting reality again by using the absurd 77 cents per dollar figure which is one of the most debunked stats ever introduced.

And then on top of that holding a lot of resentments against men, the nuclear family, the "patriarchy".

I'm ashamed to say I used to call myself a feminist before I realized it's not at all about equality. A good feminist is usually just an annoying, politically correct preachy liberal whose dystopian fantasy would be a nightmare for most reasonable people who don't frame every issue as oppressed vs oppressor.

A bad feminist is someone who's become a bigot in the name of fighting bigotry.

+1

deadheadskier

Staff member
my wife gave birth to our son on a friday evening and was back at work the following Monday. true story (but not the complete story)

Wow. That's the quickest turn around I've heard of. So are you saying I'm being a little soft on my wife and I should send her back to work sooner?

BenedictGomez

Oh, well, I mean, if the American Association of University Women says it's so, then I guess there can "be no debate" here.

Surely it couldn't be because women tend to: choose lower paying fields, have babies, have been demonstrated to not negotiate as well a men, have been shown to not ask for raises often (if ever) as men, often choose to work fewer hours than men, interrupt careers and take more time off (often years), and a myriad of other logical factors that in numerous studies have shown that when extrapolated over millions of American male & female workers BLS data completely demonstrate that the "Gender Pay Gap" is a total political farce.

Besides, what chance do Nobel Prize winning Economic laureates who've proven the Gender Pay Gap to be due to life choices and conscious decisions have in the face of the American Association of University Women (whoever the hell they are)?

If you genuinely believe that women make 77¢, or 79¢, or 80¢ (or whatever the figure is the propagandists are currently using in 2015), you owe it to yourself to learn the truth. You dont realize it, but you're essentially arguing that the earth is 2000 years ago and that evolution is a fraud (I intentionally used a example liberals love to use).

BenedictGomez

Look who show up in that article, our new friends, the AAUW!

And even they, shown to be intentionally manipulating the data to desperately try to show a "Gender Pay Gap", could only arrive at a touch over 6¢.

My favorite part of that article?

Furthermore, the AAUW's 6.6 cents includes some large legitimate wage differences masked by over-broad occupational categories. For example, its researchers count "social science" as one college major and report that, among such majors, women earned only 83 percent of what men earned. That may sound unfair... until you consider that "social science" includes both economics and sociology majors.

ROTFLMAO

And that folks, is how propaganda works.