• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nobody Cares About Mogul Skiing

powbmps

Well said DJ.

In my opinion, any individualistic athletic pursuit with the word "freestyle" attached to it is less about athletics and more about creativity and individual expression. Think of surfing, skateboarding, and hotdog skiers back in the day. All just people having a good time showing off what they could do with their buddies. To turn these pursuits, which are largely counter-cultural in origin, into organized, competitive events makes little sense. To make them into "career opportunities" makes even less sense.

I've been skiing bumps since the mid 80's and I have the same love for it today that I did back in high school. I read an interview with Jeremy Bloom where he said he didn't even like skiing moguls, it was the competition he loved. To me that statement was like being slapped in the face.

So screw you Jermey Bloom and screw you Dale Begg Smith.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm a die-hard mogul skier. I live for skiing bumps, but competitive mogul skiing has jumped the shark. It's styleless, soulless, and robotic. Fake seeded bumps on contrived jumps with aerial gymnastics that nobody can relate too. It certainly is not freestyle.

Then again, I'd say the same thing about park and pipe - it's on the verge of jumping the shark too. When the average young skier can no longer relate, interest drifts elsewhere.

I hate sexism in the ski biz but agree with the above comments: If these young female athletes don't do something to "market" themselves, they are irrelevant to popular culture. And in our culture, Julia Mancuso in her underpants sells (no offense to Julia - I'm a big fan of her skiing).

Agree with the Styleless part , more people would be intersted if there were alternating runs on "Non Gmo"
Bumps , more talent is required to pick lines. Zip line is boring ! And there would be more spectacular crashes for the highlight reel.
Now zip line in Bikinis might be an exception?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
You would think ski manufacturers or clothing manufacturers would be willing to set them up with at least equipment or cloths for their sport. Makes me wonder how disinterested are fans and how disinterested are corporations? I mean to say so much is chalked up to "consumer demand" when it had nothing what so ever to do with what consumers want or don't want. But rather, what are corporations willing to pitch or not pitch. How would the Beatles have done if after being rejected by Decca just thrown up their hands and given up for instance. Turned out consumer demand was there but corporate interest was not. So what needs to come first? Consumer demand or corporate interest?

DaffyJeffy

I think the tide will turn. As I said earlier, the whole park/pipe "freestyle" era is on the wane. I think the Ski The East Freeride Tour is a very early sign that times are changing. Those events are about real local skiers showing their stuff to other real local skiers. Courses in gymnastics and access to foam-pits, trampolines, and water-ramps are not needed to participate. All that is needed is the ability to rip your local mountain and throw down. That will always be interesting because it is something young skiers can aspire to and strive for. How many of you who watched "Blizzard of Ahhhs" back in the day thought "My friends and I could do that!". I know I did and it was inspiring for a whole generation. I can only imagine how alienating watching the X Games must be to young people.

In summary, there is nothing to worry about. Sometime soon a new generation of creative, energetic young people will revitalize sliding on snow just like Greg Stump did for my generation, snowboarding did for the next, and Mike Douglas and company did after that.

I think moguls will always be a part of skiing because it's a natural byproduct of the sport but it's in a bad spot right now. I skied Sugarloaf this past saturday and the mountain had the typical weekend crowd - it was very busy. I was all by myself skiing bumps on Winters and Bubblecuffer. Currently it's very lonely to be a mogul skier.

ironhippy

I think most of the potential mogul skiers are now tree skiiers.

When I skied in the 80's the only non groomed stuff you could ski was the bump runs. Now that the whole mountain is opened up, I would much rather spend my time in the woods than on a bump run, but I'd rather ski a bump run than a groomed run most of the time.

I'll be back to play on the bumps in the spring time when the woods get sketchy.

DaffyJeffy

I think most of the potential mogul skiers are now tree skiiers.

I hadn't thought of that but you're probably right - that's where the challenge is (because it sure ain't on the groomers - no matter how steep they are). Then again most of the tree skiing at Sugarloaf essentially amounts to gladed mogul skiing anytime that's not immediately right after a huge dump - which is to say most of the time.

JimG.

Staff member
I hadn't thought of that but you're probably right - that's where the challenge is (because it sure ain't on the groomers - no matter how steep they are). Then again most of the tree skiing at Sugarloaf essentially amounts to gladed mogul skiing anytime that's not immediately right after a huge dump - which is to say most of the time.

+1...and skiing bumps certainly improves tree skiing skills.

Savemeasammy

competitive mogul skiing has jumped the shark. It's styleless, soulless, and robotic. Fake seeded bumps on contrived jumps with aerial gymnastics that nobody can relate to.

Agree. I love skiing seeded bumps. I think it's a great place to fine-tune your technique, but it certainly doesn't allow the athletes to truly showcase their skills. I preferred the days of airing it out on random moguls and landing right back in the bumps. Much more challenging than today's courses.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

legalskier

Whatever happened to doing it for love of the game?

Besides, these ladies ended up doing quite well:
"They left with a four-year sponsorship agreement worth $2-million, or $500,000 a year....And this spring, the three sisters are hoping to move into their new home — a renovated, four-unit apartment complex with their parents."

MOV_4f211005_b.jpg

Does that apply only to baseball?

Blanton

They should hire a sports agent that can get them endorsements from outside (of skiing) sponsors. Cosmetics, athletic apparel, food/ beverage, fashion, eye wear, etc.

DaffyJeffy

I skied Brackett on Sunday. Still good but we need some new snow. If you don't have good bump chops, Brackett would be a lot less fun. :smile:

SkiFanE

I spend 95% of my time in bumps. Early season it means hugging trail sides. But bump heaven now at SR. did spend a lot of times in woods, husband likes woods better - after a few hours in glades Sunday, said I was tired of dodging trees lol.

One problem, at least at SR is lack of intermediate pitch bumps. So it's hard to progress. Spring and pow days will mean manageable sized bumps by end of day, but lately there's none. Except for glades, all bump runs at SR are single or double black. You'd thing with 100+ trails they could leave a blue mogul trail, groomed on occasion before VW sized. But they don't. Bums me out but they just like grooming.

Tightwire (or is it Locke line? Always forget). Last Friday's perfect hero bumps: (nevermind, pic was upside down here, wtf?! Now I can't delete it. Sorry, just turn your monitor upside down haha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

DaffyJeffy

That is a problem. Sugarloaf lost a lot of mellow bumps on Spillway when they put Skyline in. Fill out the comment cards at the mtns and request more bumps (I've done this).

SkiFanE

Don't they sometimes leave some bumps on lower Risky or AM X?
They used to leave all of risky alone on right side, but now its just below 3-mile. Pisses me off. And that stretch is not a good progression - I hugged close to woods this weekend, rest was fairly iced. Same with Amex. In my opinion, need to be soft-ish - can't be the hard icy kind. I guess I learned that way - but it takes perseverance. I actually feel it all clicked for me on a spring corn day on a blue trail that got bumped up that day.

Sunday I saw a kid and an adult both go into Risky bumps with too much speed and just lose it. Entertaining for sure - you could almost count 1, 2, 3 and wait for yardsale lol.

SkiFanE

That is a problem. Sugarloaf lost a lot of mellow bumps on Spillway when they put Skyline in. Fill out the comment cards at the mtns and request more bumps (I've done this).
All 5 of my families passes are tied to my email so I get tons of random "how was your visit" surveys. Trust me - all 5 of us complain about the groomed out conditions and lack of bumps, hehe. Instead they groom more this year than last...go figure.