• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nobody Cares About Mogul Skiing

Savemeasammy

Does anyone, but freestyle competitors buy mogul skis? I ski SLs, have never tried a mogul ski. I like a good edge & quick turn when I need it in moguls - rest of time they're flat.

I own one pair of skis: they are mogul skis. I don't compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkshot99

You are the far minority. What percentage of ski shops can you walk into and buy a pair of mogel skis? I go into a lot of shops to look at gear and have only seen a real mogel ski a few times.

Realisticaly its amazing people like Lindsey Vonn is able to make the kind of $ she does from skiing. In North America we don't really care about competive skiing, so for her to get all these sponsors to support her is amazing, and that's in a sport more popular than bumps...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think you are in minority. Yes there are others but most skis you see out there are not mogul skis.

He is, but also depends on the ski area. I always see tons of bump skis at Killington and it's not just the KMS kids using them.

SkiFanE

He is, but also depends on the ski area. I always see tons of bump skis at Killington and it's not just the KMS kids using them.

There are tons of mogul skiers at Killington, makes more sense. And they have many more moguls. SR is just not a mogul skier destination. I love skiing K in spring.

DaffyJeffy

I own a dedicated pair of mogul skis too (not mogul skis). I had 200cm Rossi 7m moguls skis back in the day. I've never competed.

I live and work in the Sugarloaf area and make the necessary financial sacrifices to do so. If it was in my budget, I'd buy a pair of "real" mogul skis. What I do is buy old skis that fit the profile of a mogul ski. For $50 I got a pair of Solly Xscream7s that are similar dimensionally and in flex to current bump skis (this pair of skis only had been skied two days - basically brand new). I think they are 102mm at the tip and 68mm at the waist with a not-too-stiff tail. I mounted some old Solly 957s flat and bang! Mogul skis fit to rip the zipperline. They rock in the bumps. But like I said, if I could afford a pair of Twisters I'd get'em.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

She asked if "anyone" but competitors buys mogul skis.... I recognize that I am in the vast majority. I very rarely ever see f17's anywhere - unless I'm at Killington as DHS said - they are a dime a dozen there.

Hawkshot - I had to call around to find my skis. I bought them at Stratton. They were also available in Killington, but that's about it.

machski

Haven't looked, but given the amount of shops that have opened up around SR to service the Gould crowd, I would bet you could walk into one of them and find a dedicated mogul ski. SR doesn't have low angle mogul trails? I beg to differ. I will grant most are natural and many because of this are rated a black diamond, but tightwire is anything but black diamond pitch (unless glaciated ice) and in my opinion a good angle to start skiing bumps in. Bims is the same. Even this year, dreamaker has had some bumps on skiers right though I will admit, they didn't stick around long. I would love to see southpaw left bumped but it is considered a reliever for CFJ corner so probably will never happen. It was nice when 3D was bumps TTB but now it has gone to the park set. Too bad they didn't add snowmaking to absoluey when they did that!!

Brad J

I own a pair of bump skis Rossi 4s 204's , they took me down OL hundreds of times in the 80's, the bump hay day, now its all about the woods

SkiFanE

Haven't looked, but given the amount of shops that have opened up around SR to service the Gould crowd, I would bet you could walk into one of them and find a dedicated mogul ski. SR doesn't have low angle mogul trails? I beg to differ. I will grant most are natural and many because of this are rated a black diamond, but tightwire is anything but black diamond pitch (unless glaciated ice) and in my opinion a good angle to start skiing bumps in. Bims is the same. Even this year, dreamaker has had some bumps on skiers right though I will admit, they didn't stick around long. I would love to see southpaw left bumped but it is considered a reliever for CFJ corner so probably will never happen. It was nice when 3D was bumps TTB but now it has gone to the park set. Too bad they didn't add snowmaking to absoluey when they did that!!

I forgot about Absolutely - probably because it now sucks more because it's not really fun from 3D anymore, and NorthWoods hasn't been so great - so to get to that short part of No. Peak isn't worth it. But it is a good pitch. Looking at today's trail report - Bims and Absolutely are the only natural non-Blacks (and Bims has been icy bumps for most of the winter). We can bicker about whether the blacks are blacks or blues, but they are not entry level bumps. Even if pitch is easier - if they are VW sized deep ones - it's just harder to learn. My dream is for SR to have a trail like Escapade or Cascade that is given up to bumps. That does not mean a total natural trail - because when learning the soft bumps that form over a day are best. I remember loving Sunday Punch on a Saturday afternoon after it got bumped up nice...then they groom on Saturday night and fun is gone for Sunday, maybe a weekly groom (I'm no expert there tho). If you leave a trail alone all season (ie Tightwire) - bumps get huge eventually - okay for me now, but when you're trying to progress it's hard to really "improve" on a trail like that - you just try to "survive" lol. We can all have our dreams, right?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do you mention this desire to any of the mountain operations people?

Eventually enough loud voices are heard. At least that's what appeared happened it Sundown.

I know I mentioned it when I was a passholder at SR - 2005-2007. Horrible seasons for bumps both of them.

I barked loudly while a passholder at Ragged, Gunstock and Crotched......no one listened. Tried though

SkiFanE

Do you mention this desire to any of the mountain operations people?

Eventually enough loud voices are heard. At least that's what appeared happened it Sundown.

I know I mentioned it when I was a passholder at SR - 2005-2007. Horrible seasons for bumps both of them.

I barked loudly while a passholder at Ragged, Gunstock and Crotched......no one listened. Tried though

i mentioned earlier I get endless online surveys from SR bc all 5 passes are tied to my email. I have one sitting right now filled one out last week. So yeah, I conment. They probably know its all one person haha. I have come to terms with it. I leave each and every ski day fulfilled, just be nice to have more variety. Only so many times you can go down same trails and lines over and over......im sure people on Locke lift get tired of seeing me haha.

steamboat1

My dream is for SR to have a trail like Escapade or Cascade that is given up to bumps.
Hate to tell you but Cascade gets groomed regularly, been that way for years. Even Escapade & other natural snow trails got a groom last week. The only trails at K that haven't seen a groom this year are Catwalk, Royal Flush & Devils Fiddle & of course trails in South Ridge. I have seen them groom Royal Flush & Devils Fiddle in the past but not the past few years.

SkiFanE

Hate to tell you but Cascade gets groomed regularly, been that way for years. Even Escapade & other natural snow trails got a groom last week. The only trails at K that haven't seen a groom this year are Catwalk, Royal Flush & Devils Fiddle & of course trails in South Ridge. I have seen them groom Royal Flush & Devils Fiddle in the past but not the past few years.

You're talking K, I'm talking SR :dunce: LOL.

steamboat1

You're talking K, I'm talking SR :dunce: LOL.

Never mind.

attachment.php

Attachments

• editorialreply.png
    editorialreply.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 168