• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee - Mar. 25, 2015 Weds.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
It's been 5 years since my last trip to Sunapee. There was a pretty good crowd considering it was a non-holiday late in the season Wednesday. Parking Lot #1 was full as were the roadside parking between #1 and #2 and there were even a few cars in Lot #2. There were no real lift-lines, but there were very few chairs going up empty.

Sunapee certainly deserves its reputation for excellent grooming. There was corduroy on virtually everything except the glades (which were all closed) and the two bump areas. Despite the fact the temps reached the 40s, the air was dry and the surfaces never really softened. The bumps finally became marginally skiable after 1:30PM, but very few skiers were in them. Most who were, made a couple of "test turns" and either fell or were vomited out onto the groomed.

The ones under the North Peak FG actually had a pretty good rhythm. The ones by the (new) Sunbowl HSQ had (for me) a natural flow from left to right. I had to work hard to get back to the left periodically.

The (new) Sunbowl HSQ is a super improvement to Sunapee. That ride used to feel like it needed to be measured with a calendar, rather than a watch.

Weather was bluebird. If it was 5 degrees warmer (and the surface softened a bit more) it would have been a perfect day.

Savemeasammy

"Vomited out onto the groomed". I've never heard this term, but I think I get it!

The bumps under the fixed grip (flying goose) are seeded. The others under the sunbowl were natural (on my last visit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newpylong

Was there Tuesday, also a bluebird day in the high 30s, and nothing really softened up except South Peak and the Spruce. Sun Bowl was garbage by the time I was there around noon.

Grooming was impeccable.

Bumpsis

Sun Bowl was garbage by the time I was there around noon.

Grooming was impeccable.

By "garbage", do you mean the snow was sun melted mush? Just curious. I'm trying to figure out what ski areas and specific slopes have the best chance of corning up and under what conditions (sun, temps). The Sun Bowl does get a lot of exposure when the sun is out, so even temps in high 30s may soften things up there while the north exposed slopes stay firm.
Spring skiing can get tricky when chasing corn. Sometimes the corn phase may last just for a few runs and then it's mush.

dmw

Are the glades skiable?

I went to Sunapee for an afternoon back in late February. I'd never been when the woods were in play; even with all the recent snow back then, I found a lot of scraped off and bare rocks in the woods. Kind of surprised by it. Not a lot of new snow since then, so I can't imagine they're very good.

Someone will probably say they were great just a few days ago, who knows.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Are the glades skiable?
If by skiable, you mean was there adequate snow cover, the answer is yes.

However, with the absence of "give" in the surface, combined with the icy ruts, I could only recommend it, if I had a close friend who was a knee surgeon. I'm pretty sure the patrol would have opened it if had softened early in the day.

Newpylong

By "garbage", do you mean the snow was sun melted mush? Just curious. I'm trying to figure out what ski areas and specific slopes have the best chance of corning up and under what conditions (sun, temps). The Sun Bowl does get a lot of exposure when the sun is out, so even temps in high 30s may soften things up there while the north exposed slopes stay firm.
Spring skiing can get tricky when chasing corn. Sometimes the corn phase may last just for a few runs and then it's mush.

Sorry I should have specified. It never softened up at all despite sun and the temps, was pretty scraped off compared to the front.

hammer

Have a question about Wednesdays...they have a 2 for 1 ticket, how liberal are they about that? Do they let you pair up with someone else in line to get the discount?

I want to go this Wednesday but my ski date will be too busy and she's done for the season...

Puck it

Have a question about Wednesdays...they have a 2 for 1 ticket, how liberal are they about that? Do they let you pair up with someone else in line to get the discount?

I want to go this Wednesday but my ski date will be too busy and she's done for the season...

I used to get the the 2 fer 1 with out anyone else. I have not been in years though.

Newpylong

They have a good deal going where if you buy a midweek ticket 4 days in advance it's 50% off. I can get that anytime with my Whaleback pass but I think that's pretty good deal.

hammer

They have a good deal going where if you buy a midweek ticket 4 days in advance it's 50% off. I can get that anytime with my Whaleback pass but I think that's pretty good deal.
Unfortunately I didn't buy over the weekend so I'm late to that party...tickets are now up to almost $50 and they go up again if I wait until tomorrow.

Puck it

Unfortunately I didn't buy over the weekend so I'm late to that party...tickets are now up to almost $50 and they go up again if I wait until tomorrow.

[h=1]All-Star Rewards Partner Programs - Winter[/h]
[h=2]As an All-Star Rewards Member, Enjoy These Exclusive Mountain Resort Partner Discounts for the 2014-2015 Winter Season[/h]For more details click on the links below.
Pico Mountain at Killington
Pico Mountain, Vermont

$20.00 off a Mid-Week 1-day adult lift ticket, $10.00 off a Weekend or Peak Period ticket and $10.00 off the Pico Express Card
mtsunapee.jpg
Mount Sunapee Resort
Newbury, New Hampshire

40% off a mid-week, non-holiday period one-day lift ticket or $10.00 off a weekend or holiday period one-day lift ticket.
Shawnee-Logo.jpg
Shawnee Peak (ONLINE OFFER ONLY)
Bridgton, Maine

$13.00 off a weekend/holiday adult ticket, $10.00 off a weekend/holiday junior ticket, $9.00 off a midweek adult ticket
partner-saddlebac.jpg
Saddleback Mountain
Rangeley, Maine

$10.00 off a Sunday - Friday, non-holiday period one-day lift ticket

http://www.golfskiwarehouse.com/rewards_info.aspx

57stevey

I've been a handful of times (including this past Wednesday) and they either actively encouraged pairing up, or on a few occasions they just gave me the half off. Never an issue.