• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements 2015

cdskier

It has happened. I think it was only during holidays which may have been why you were not at lp.

That would explain it. I tend to avoid going up Christmas week and the 1st weekend of the President's week holiday altogether. I've never found MLK or the 2nd part of President's to be that bad though in terms of crowds (although I'm still probably at ME on those Saturdays when LP would be busiest).

Tin

Berkie has really gone wild now with their bike complex. I just hope all these new attractions and upgrades are bringing in money and they are not bankrupt in 3-4 years.

dlague

Guess you've never seen the vid with the guy taking off his ski's & ski boots & trying to walk up Catwalk in socks..:razz:

There are several pretty funny vids of the walk to it and people going down it. Here is an example of why trails get all f'd up!

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

That is the one good thing about Cannons setup.Bottom to top lift or upper lift.I personally dont like the tram but that option for both is great.Is there any other mt in the east that has that option?

spiderpig

My uncle along with, my dad, brother-in-law and myself tried to bid 500,000 for 20 units during the Burke Foreclosure in the 1990's and were unsuccessful. My uncle wanted to bid $25,000 for each which probably would have sealed the deal. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Isn't that $500,000? What am I missing here?

spiderpig

Okemo going to RFID ticketing next year, which will pop up the daily ticket price for first-timers. Not sure if this deserves a new thread, especially since it's only through word-of-mouth, or that it's necessarily an improvement.

Edit: it's on their "what's new" page. I suppose an improvement would be direct-to-lift access for subsequent visits. http://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/whats-new/

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Okemo going to RFID ticketing next year, which will pop up the daily ticket price for first-timers. Not sure if this deserves a new thread, especially since it's only through word-of-mouth, or that it's necessarily an improvement.

Edit: it's on their "what's new" page. I suppose an improvement would be direct-to-lift access for subsequent visits. http://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/whats-new/

Maybe it's me but I just don't like having to go through the gates....reminds me of going on a ride not skiing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

That's quite a sizable investment for a place with 20 lifts.

What is the point of this RFID phenomenon anyway. I've been through the process at Jiminy Peak and Stowe, with that said I probably have 7-10 days on RFID technology.

1. It's a sizable investment
2. Same labor costs at the lift (the two ticket checkers are now gatekeepers)
3. Costs money to train staff
4. Still need people at the ticket windows.
5. Same amount of waste.
6. Doesn't benefit the skier, except that they now have to keep track of this minuscule card to save $5 on the next lift ticket
7. It craps out 1 out of every 15 times (for me anyways).
8. The gates are ugly and stupid. Someone else compared it to going on a ride, I'm reminded more of going through a tollbooth.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't care for gated RFID systems. The sensors aren't designed well enough. I always run into issues at Jay trying to go through the gates. It results in seats going up the mountain without asses.

steamboat1

Not a big fan of RFID either but it beats the heck out scanner guns. More times than not I just get waved through at K because the scanner can't read my pass. This after several attempts of course, it's a pain in my rear. On the other hand I usually have to empty out a pocket so the RFID card can get scanned without a problem. It doesn't read with ski locks, metal flasks etc. in your pocket. Even a pack of cigarettes with foil wrapping usually causes a problem