• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre resort wins final ok from ny state

danimals

Woah. I was reading up on this at lunch today, before the announcement. I assumed we would hear anything for quite some time.

Maybe now they will have it built by 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

Doesn't say anything about funding, can I assume this is mostly taxpayer money?

I thought it was a private developer building this (from what I remember when I first heard about the project years ago...haven't really followed it). I really haven't been to Belleayre much since I first started going to Platty and haven't paid much attention to what is going on in the area...

danimals

Yes. Private developer. I'm surprised they still want this, they have been trying since the 90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

I really haven't been to Belleayre much since I first started going to Platty

That's the consensus of many once they first go to Platty!

Yes. Private developer. I'm surprised they still want this, they have been trying since the 90's.

You're surprised, and I'm shocked. Don't see how this is viable without "free money", but it will be interesting to see.

JimG.

Staff member
Are there still plans to reopen Highmont ski area or is this just a hotel & golf course?

You mean actually improve the skiing experience and add actual sustained vertical to the area?

Bottom of the list I will assume.

You know I may very well be a NY State 3 in 1 pass holder next season; might be at Belleayre more than usual.

cdskier

That's a pretty interesting build out plan for Belleayre. I always enjoyed skiing there years ago.

danimals

I don't care about the resort crap. But the trail and lift buildout looks good. Still too many traverses, but would be enough to get me back there.

Bene288

I'm not one for the resort stuff or the tourist BS. But that area of NY is in serious need of an economic boost. I hope it works out for everyone.

The Highmount connection will improve the Belleayre experience immensely