• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cranmore Plans $50 Million Base Expansion, Condo Development

dlague

But who is forking over 500k to ski Cranmore more then 2-3 times a year? It has a few interesting trails and I'm sure on a good dump year it would be fun in the trees but...

I do not find anything compelling at Cranmore. I think it fits well in the beginner / intermediate market. However, Cranmore's location is darn near perfect and much better than Stowe or Okemo. I would not consider something like that but families with young children and money to blow might.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

I do not find anything compelling at Cranmore. I think it fits well in the beginner / intermediate market. However, Cranmore's location is darn near perfect and much better than Stowe or Okemo. I would not consider something like that but families with young children and money to blow might.

The nice part about Cranmore for the advanced skier is powder for days. The trees melt before they get tracked out.

It is definitely the family oriented mountain in the valley though. And it does have a strong local following, especially with their racing. Many weekends they have two races going at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

It seems to be well run and reminds me of a bigger Pats Peak.

Smellytele

For a day I can find interesting things there. A few nice glades on the north side and a few steeper trails center skiers left. having a base to ski out of in the center of North Conway wouldn't be a bad thing. Wildcat, Attitash, Bretton woods, Shawnee Peak for some night skiing and a couple of drives up to Sunday River. All the restaurants, bars. places to shop. Not to mention plenty of outdoor things to do in the summer (hiking, biking, canoing/Kayaking and climbing)

deadheadskier

Staff member
For a day I can find interesting things there. A few nice glades on the north side and a few steeper trails center skiers left. having a base to ski out of in the center of North Conway wouldn't be a bad thing. Wildcat, Attitash, Bretton woods, Shawnee Peak for some night skiing and a couple of drives up to Sunday River. All the restaurants, bars. places to shop. Not to mention plenty of outdoor things to do in the summer (hiking, biking, canoing/Kayaking and climbing)

Yup. Just because you have the slope side place at Cranmore wouldn't mean that's the only place you ski. I bet someone in the demographic that can afford a $500K slope side unit isn't buying a Cranmore only pass. They're likely Superpass purchasers who will head off to Bretton Woods and Cannon when bored. That's not a bad day. Head to Cannon for morning turns until it gets skied off, come home for lunch and head out for a few mellow runs in the afternoon at Cranmore.

dlague

Yup. Just because you have the slope side place at Cranmore wouldn't mean that's the only place you ski. I bet someone in the demographic that can afford a $500K slope side unit isn't buying a Cranmore only pass. They're likely Superpass purchasers who will head off to Bretton Woods and Cannon when bored. That's not a bad day. Head to Cannon for morning turns until it gets skied off, come home for lunch and head out for a few mellow runs in the afternoon at Cranmore.

Good point!

drjeff

I have a professional colleague of mine, who owns a 4 bedroom condo right across the street from Cranmore that he bought back in the early 90's after a housing crash. Used to use it maybe 4 to 6 ski weekends a season when his 4 kids were young and then maybe another 4 to 6 weekends the rest of the year. He and his family might use it a combined 3 or 4 weekends a year now. He never had a season pass to Cranmore, always just hoped around to whatever area he and his family felt like skiing that day, if they even skied at all those days. Most of the time, he ends up coming home with a car full of new clothes the rest of his family bought at the outlets in North Conway. I'm supposed to have lunch with him today (he often cancels last minute, so who knows if I'll get a chance to ask him about his feeling about this proposal for Cranmore.), I'd be highly shocked if he's even heard about this yet!

Plenty of people who buy condos/townhomes/2nd homes in ski country will never own a season pass to any ski area. I know that this may be quite a foreign concept to many an AZ'er and our shared addiction to sliding down a snow covered hill as much as possible! :lol:

VTKilarney

IMHO, it's like this: North Conway is a great four-season town. This is an opportunity to buy a condo in a great town with the added benefit of having a ski area outside of the condo.

There are lots of condos in the North Conway area, but so many of them are much farther from town than this project.

Smellytele

Plenty of people who buy condos/townhomes/2nd homes in ski country will never own a season pass to any ski area. I know that this may be quite a foreign concept to many an AZ'er and our shared addiction to sliding down a snow covered hill as much as possible! :lol:

I have a friend who has a place at Waterville and I think he only had season passes 1 year for his family. I think he bought it as a status symbol but would never say that to him. Well now that I think of it I may. :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting that they selected a picture of Wildcat for the front page. Wonder how that got slipped by the Director of Marketing.

Tin

Interesting that they selected a picture of Wildcat for the front page. Wonder how that got slipped by the Director of Marketing.

Amazing. First thing I noticed as well. Reminds me of RI's "Cooler and Warmer" tourism commercial that had scenes from Iceland in it.

EPB

I'm very curious to see how well these units sell. The price per square foot is pretty high for the MWV.

yeggous

I'm very curious to see how well these units sell. The price per square foot is pretty high for the MWV.

What are you judging them against? There are very few slopeside condos anywhere in New Hampshire. Unlike Vermont, people tend to stay away from the mountain in the towns or just day trip from home. The closest units to compare in the MWV are those at Attitash. Compared to Attitash, we're talking at new construction and there is a significant price premium for North Conway vs Bartlett.

yeggous

There are slopeside condos at Attitash? I thought they were across a street?

Some just off Lower Cathedral, and some off the Attitash - Bear Peak connector trails.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app