• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

4aprice

With respect to your Dad living before snowmaking was prevalent it was a difficult thing to ski before the Saturnalian festivities. However, in the last 50 years snowmaking has made the possibility of skiing by - if not before - turkey day almost a foregone conclusion. I grew if in central CT and we almost always went skiing Thanksgiving weekend. (please don't ask me for dates) Since moving to NH 10 years ago I've been skiing in Nov at least 5 times. Mostly at Cannon - once at Wildcat and once even at Ragged. Killington opens sometime in November ever since I can remember. So yeah they really are that numerous.

I'm wrong then, ski away.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

IDK if anyone here follows "Rebecca's Northeast weather and education page" on Facebook, but things look encouraging after today for a while.

Month of December looking cold with above average precip.
I watched her for forcaster for a while now she good predicted weather

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

4aprice

Didn't mean to come down hard. Novembers openings are BECOMING more difficult however.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Oh I don't think you are necessarily being hard. My point really is that things have always been this way in the Northeast. Yes snowmaking is great and we probably really don't see its total capabilities (though K just showed a lot with getting the WC course ready), but the weather has pretty much been the same. Some of those times I have skied early were at Hunter Mt back in the days when they used to go for it with making snow. They don't do that anymore. This fall ended up as it was predicted, warm, and now with the cold seemingly on the doorstep it seems pretty normal to me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Oh I don't think you are necessarily being hard. My point really is that things have always been this way in the Northeast. Yes snowmaking is great and we probably really don't see its total capabilities (though K just showed a lot with getting the WC course ready), but the weather has pretty much been the same. Some of those times I have skied early were at Hunter Mt back in the days when they used to go for it with making snow. They don't do that anymore. This fall ended up as it was predicted, warm, and now with the cold seemingly on the doorstep it seems pretty normal to me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

True that.

dlague

Didn't mean to come down hard. Novembers openings are BECOMING more difficult however.

I have to disagree, lots of ski areas target early December, but there are lots that open in November still. Heck, just last year in Colorado, Loveland for example shut down snowmaking operations by Thanksgiving weekend. This year has been an unusually warm start everywhere I will give you that but I think Thanksgiving with become the target for many and early November the target for the few.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Some have ragged on Open Snow but they have been dead on IMO. They talked about a series of three systems that would change this here and boom Wolf Creek is 100% open Vail 45% open and many others are cranking open terrain by the day. Now they are talking about a couple more systems here which will be awesome.

Now some of these have traveled northeast and warmed up but the last round we had looks to be headed your way and is looking good and with pattern set up like it is this will make a turn for the better in New England.

hammer

Were they really that numerous Hammer? I admit I'm a little picky about the WROD and don't really live in ski country, but I think I could count on one hand the amount of seasons I have skied before Thanksgiving and this will be my 50th season on skis Seems like its always mid December before the season really starts. My father attended Dartmouth in the 1940's, (WWII) and he told me they never were able to ski before Christmas Break. With the cold coming next week its looking like the law of averages wins and it will play out that way again.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Guess I was basing this on feeder hills closer to home (southern/central NH). They usually have good snowmaking capacity so all they need is a stretch of cold weather. Sometimes they have a WROD available on Thanksgiving weekend but they usually are open by early December. Seems the past few years the opening has been more like mid-December to Christmas.

kskis20

Looks like the cold will come in on sunday which will be great for expanding terrain plus sunday night into monday morning there might be a storm that will drop 4-10 inches in the green and white mountains

bdfreetuna

Looks like the cold will come in on sunday which will be great for expanding terrain plus sunday night into monday morning there might be a storm that will drop 4-10 inches in the green and white mountains

Monday night into Tuesday morning. And then maybe some more Tuesday night.

Tin

Nickels Sun-Tues. Need to wait on the 12z. Close to rain for Wednesday-Thurs but the spine of VT could stay snow, only looking like .25-.5 of liquid so not an epic melt down/snow fall. It will be some heavy/wet conditions until the wind wrap around refreshes things. Hopefully a net gain. The GFS 4-6 days out has modeled systems too far north thus far this year (Oct 27-28/Nov 21/last week) so hopefully that is true again.

Kleetus

No storm thread for this but looking good for Mt Snow for founders day. If only I didn't have to work...

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1481466040.998202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

You guys have to be psyched about the weather coming in today and this about New England:

One of the biggest storms we’ve seen this season will hit this Friday, it will bring some of the best conditions we’ve seen all year. Sunday there is the chance for a good follow up storm, and way down the line we’re tracking a potential storm for next Tuesday.

mriceyman

Ya vt should do well but nh and maine should get buried. 3 years ago id be in vt already for the week. 2 kids under 3 and im sitting in my living room in jersey with 2 sick little guys. Meh

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

You guys have to be psyched about the weather coming in today and this about New England:

One of the biggest storms we’ve seen this season will hit this Friday, it will bring some of the best conditions we’ve seen all year. Sunday there is the chance for a good follow up storm, and way down the line we’re tracking a potential storm for next Tuesday.

http://blog.liftopia.com/new-englan...k&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20161228_blog