• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Snow V-day blizzard

reefer

Words can't express! Followed Heath and the patrol around dropping ropes, to get first tracks...........yahoo. Mountain went 100%. At last chair I left powder everywhere and I'm sure they must have gotten at least 6" more overnight, white out conditions! Key lifts are on wind hold today (just checked), I'm praying they stay that way all day, because that will make tomorrow perhaps the best day in years on the North Face, (after yesterday of course). Never made it to Carinthia or Sunbrook, that's how good the North Face was! Jaws was my favorite, Challanger & PDF a close secondand third. On the Main face, Ledges, Lodge, Hop, and Uncles are all loaded with POW!
The woods - couldn't handle them. Thigh deep in spots. Very heavy stuff. Did the Trials once, but it was very slow going. (Every mountain needs a volunteer Glade Cleaning team like Mad River). I took a couple headers (and I'm too old for headers....) after hitting a log, then a stump........The speed you needed to try and float was too much with Maples whizzing by your head! (for me anyway). I need it a little broken up. That is my goal Saturday, to stay in the woods and make some lines so my third and fourth runs are brilliant.....There was too much fun on the trails too spend the time yesterday! If you guys go first tomorrow, then I'm with you. Maybe the kids will break it up a little today.........
I'm sure every New England area will rock this w/e. Here's a couple pics that don't do the hill justice. My camera kept freezing so didn't get many shots.......
P.S. Four hour drive home to Sturbridge (normally two), snowed all the way down the Berkshires - heavy.............crazy stuff!

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Awesome pics! Can't wait for tomorrow. Leaving my house at 5:30 to assure a spot in line for first chairs. Looks like TNF is the place to immediately head to.

reefer

Found another pic from yesterday - of our meeting place tomorrow - the summit lodge. Not much going on up here but sideways snow yesterday!

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Nice! I'm hoping for wind-holds all day today. ;)

Can't wait to get there tomorrow! :snow:

Rushski

Nice Xterra, looks exactly like mine - '06 S, Knight Gray.

Oh yeah, the snow looks great too...

SKIQUATTRO

The Xterra is a great truck, my buddy has it...I have the Armada LE....the X's daddy!! All great trucks, makes getting to the mtn in those condtions more fun!!

Rushski

My X does very well in the snow. First time I've had it in 4WD all year- sadly.

Unfortunately yesterday it only got me to work and back. Not skiing where I should've been. There's always tomorrow...

Newpylong

You want to know where you should be on a Pow day at Mt. Snow - Big and Little Dipper on Sunbrook.... and Olympic... the woods over there, just KEEP going. Enjoy!

Last edited:

SKIQUATTRO

the Armada has an "auto" setting with is an AWD, so unless its real bad i dont have to drop it into 4H...I also got rid of the stock Conti tires and put on BFG ALL Terrains....huge difference....

gladerider

ohhh i can't wait.
will be leaving tomorrow at 6pm to ski the entire weekend at snow.

i hope they don't groom it all....

Newpylong

You can expect many of the snowmaking trails to be groomed. On the North Face, only Chute and Freefall will be though.