Belleayre Gondola? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    A gondola for a 1400 vert mountain seems a bit overkill to me
    Yet some folks seem surprised New York State is in danger of bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Its just a plain bad idea. That money could be spent expanding terrain.
    Or approximately 4,289 more useful things.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    The plan I saw had it terminating over by the Tomahawk lift.
    I was going to post that yesterday, as you're correct that the Belleayre Unit Management Plan from 2015 with the full build out proposal had it terminating on the west side next to Tomahawk. Then I saw a map on liftblog I think it was showing it terminating over near the Super Chief at the top. That was just a Bellayre trail map with a single red line for the new Gondola shown on it. I'm not certain of the source of that. If it came from someone that actually has knowledge of the plans, then I think that is a better alignment than terminating by Tomahawk (although still completely unnecessary). If that was just the author of the post on liftblog drawing their own map without any real knowledge, then it is irrelevant.

All articles with anyone from ORDA or Belleayre quoted always say it is terminating at the "summit". The problem is that tells you nothing since the entire top ridge of the mountain could be considered the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I was going to post that yesterday, as you're correct that the Belleayre Unit Management Plan from 2015 with the full build out proposal had it terminating on the west side next to Tomahawk. Then I saw a map on liftblog I think it was showing it terminating over near the Super Chief at the top. That was just a Bellayre trail map with a single red line for the new Gondola shown on it. I'm not certain of the source of that. If it came from someone that actually has knowledge of the plans, then I think that is a better alignment than terminating by Tomahawk (although still completely unnecessary). If that was just the author of the post on liftblog drawing their own map without any real knowledge, then it is irrelevant.

All articles with anyone from ORDA or Belleayre quoted always say it is terminating at the "summit". The problem is that tells you nothing since the entire top ridge of the mountain could be considered the summit.
    Huh - yeah, I think terminating at the top of the supercheif makes more sense - still, not really necessary but certainly more useful (and better for folks who like the tomahawk terrain uncrowded) than they other plan.

I guess the charm in it is year round gondi rides? I don't get it at all.

I guess they are trying to take pressure off the super chief which does get crowded.

Whatever floats their boat - I just hope they leave the tomahawk side alone and sure, the lodges could use some spring up...

I've been to Belle only twice and never knew there was a lower Lodge and terrain below super chief! The new Gondi doesn't even connect to the new Lodge, condos down there.

One of the plans show a two stage Gondi with the upper stage IN the tomohawk lift alignment.
    And New green trails below tomohawk leading to the lower Gondi stage.

http://www.catskillheritage.org/images/AlpentechMap.jpg
    And on the seventh day, Ullr created Magic Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by skimagic View Post
    I've been to Belle only twice and never knew there was a lower Lodge and terrain below super chief! The new Gondi doesn't even connect to the new Lodge, condos down there.

One of the plans show a two stage Gondi with the upper stage IN the tomohawk lift alignment.
    And New green trails below tomohawk leading to the lower Gondi stage.

http://www.catskillheritage.org/images/AlpentechMap.jpg
    Careful...that's from 2007 and a lot has potentially changed from then. The 2015 Unit Management Plan is much newer, although I'm still not sure if things have changed even more recently. Here's the DEC findings of the 2015 proposal along with the plans at that time: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_e...mpfindings.pdf

2007? The wheels are barely turning.

A two stage would be good, otherwise ruins the place.
    And on the seventh day, Ullr created Magic Mountain...

The only thing I can see in value of this gondola would be mountain biking from it in the summer.

With such a high rate of illegal Mexican immigrant violence in the state of NY I would think a much better use of that $ would be putting it towards the border wall. Safety first has always been my policy.

ORDA has a one gondi minimum at all ski areas. Article 19.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 4.22.05 PM.jpg
    I have never been to Belleayre but from this it looks like the Skyship gondola at Killington but without the mid station beginners can't take it and no mid load for the intermediate who don't want to take the long beginner trail. Seems silly not go go with a similar setup.

There is almost zero connectivity with using that lift. They have one flat trail over a bridge. Who is ORDA's engineer for this project, who comes up with this sh#t? If you really are trying to get money into local communities then why wouldn't you design and create something that people will actually utilize and be excited about?

Well, maybe it's mainly for summer use. With climate shift that might be what they are really going for anyways but as for being a functional ski lift this plan is a fail.

Thread Information