• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Have YOU Skied yet this season?

catherine

2 days at Killington over Thanksgiving weekend. Skied the mornings only and watched the racing in the afternoon. Great start to the season!

abc

I can't see myself drive 3 hours to ski umpteen runs on a couple trails. So I haven't yet.

Once the Cats open, I'll be looking at them more seriously. On the other hand, I'll be going away starting the 22nd. So I'm more focus on getting chores done so I can be more focused (on having fun) once the season REALLY starts.

abc

And don't forget that the resort may be only 20% open, but charging 75% of a mid season ticket. Can't say as I blame you for staying home. I remember not getting started until Christmas. I wanted enough of the mountain open to make the trip worthwhile. Nowadays, I live near the river and have a season pass, so... I have 20 days under my belt already. Most of them pretty good, a few bad days. But it does get boring skiing the same runs. After about my third round for the day, i'm ready to be done.
This year, I have the MAX Pass. So I do have a lot more days i've already paid for than I have weekends, IF I'm willing to travel.

But that's the rub. Any mountain beyond 2 hours will requires staying overnight. THAT, cost as much as a day pass! So, I have unlimited skiing but not unlimited lodging. Lodging is currently at 60-70% of full mid-season cost. The economy is still the same. I can't get motivated to ski a few trails for that much cost!

Some years, I ski early season because I've got new skis or boots I need to break in. Other than that, I don't ski until Christmas. Some years I don't start till after New Year!

Bumpsis

I can't see myself drive 3 hours to ski umpteen runs on a couple trails. So I haven't yet.

Once the Cats open, I'll be looking at them more seriously. On the other hand, I'll be going away starting the 22nd. So I'm more focus on getting chores done so I can be more focused (on having fun) once the season REALLY starts.

I'm with abc on this one. I usually don't start until well into January, unless the conditions are really exceptional. I tend to cherry pick my days anyway.

Scruffy

This year, I have the MAX Pass. So I do have a lot more days i've already paid for than I have weekends, IF I'm willing to travel.

But that's the rub. Any mountain beyond 2 hours will requires staying overnight. THAT, cost as much as a day pass! So, I have unlimited skiing but not unlimited lodging. Lodging is currently at 60-70% of full mid-season cost. The economy is still the same. I can't get motivated to ski a few trails for that much cost!

Some years, I ski early season because I've got new skis or boots I need to break in. Other than that, I don't ski until Christmas. Some years I don't start till after New Year!

You need to buy new skis or boots then :lol:

KustyTheKlown

that just simply is not true. i live in Brooklyn and have day tripped to Stratton/okemo/killington/pico. "requires" is a relative term.

and the shitty motels in rutland are $50 a night. less if you do name your own price.

Jully

that just simply is not true. i live in Brooklyn and have day tripped to Stratton/okemo/killington/pico. "requires" is a relative term.

and the shitty motels in rutland are $50 a night. less if you do name your own price.

Name your own price?

KustyTheKlown

Name your own price?

priceline.com, you can bid on rooms. you select an area and a star rating and name your price, and then they either accept it or tell you to raise your bid. you do not get to choose the actual hotel, but you end up cheaper than the listed price. you are committed, as you need to enter your info prior to submitting the bid, so you cant just do it to look, you need to buy. if you're fine staying in one of the 3 totally awful places in rutland which typically list their price for ~$55/night, a $40 bid will generally do the trick.

Jully

priceline.com, you can bid on rooms. you select an area and a star rating and name your price, and then they either accept it or tell you to raise your bid. you do not get to choose the actual hotel, but you end up cheaper than the listed price. you are committed, as you need to enter your info prior to submitting the bid, so you cant just do it to look, you need to buy. if you're fine staying in one of the 3 totally awful places in rutland which typically list their price for ~$55/night, a $40 bid will generally do the trick.

Did not know that. I might have to check that out! Thanks for the explanation.

KustyTheKlown

unfortunately I think expedia stopped this deal, but they also used to have a great price guarantee. if you booked a room, and the price on expedia raised even by $0.01, or you found a better price for the exact same room/dates/hotel on any other travel site, you filed a price guarantee claim and expedia would refund the difference and give you a $50 credit. the hotel prices fluctuate wildly, and I tend to book lots of cheap hotels with free cancellation far in advance and then just cancel what I don't need, so this worked out for me a lot. you only would get the credit if you actually kept the reservation, so it wouldn't show up until the stay was completed. I racked up about $250 in credits last year by doing this. I tried to do it for my SLC hotel for next week, but was told that the program no longer exists for hotel room rates (which is bullshit because you can still find info about it on the expedia site)