• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is going to resurface?

Jully

The big players will likely (have to) resurface and can afford to do so. For the smaller guys, another potential electrical Demand hit coupled will marginal at best snowmaking temps in the next 10 days is not going to be worth it for most. They will have to farm what they can to survive and hope for colder temps / hope for a March 2017 repeat.

Really sad to hear that.

Jully

Trails were closing during the day at Crotched today. Damage on every trail.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bottom of Plutos was unskiable looking from the webcam. Meteor looks good. Only some mild brown on attitash cam so maybe they fared better.

Sunday River announced plans to resurface by the weekend. Mt Snow too. SR will get my business even though I wanted to take a friend to Attitash or Wildcat as they haven't been to either. Hopefully Peaks turns on the guns at some point soon though.

cdskier

The posts in this thread remind me of the exact same conversations we were having last year at this time...would be nice to have a winter without a mid-season blow-torch.

skiur

Killington says they plan to have the guns on by midnight

slatham

From what I saw today this is not just a resurfacing situation, it's a base building effort to make it to normal closing dates. The loss of snow is staggering.

chuckstah

Bottom of Plutos was unskiable looking from the webcam. Meteor looks good. Only some mild brown on attitash cam so maybe they fared better.

Sunday River announced plans to resurface by the weekend. Mt Snow too. SR will get my business even though I wanted to take a friend to Attitash or Wildcat as they haven't been to either. Hopefully Peaks turns on the guns at some point soon though.[/QUOTE

I skied the bottom of Pluto's a few times today. It was fun, with 100 foot long edge-able ice flows, a flowing river, and just a tiny bit of snow. But it will truly suck tomorrow, as will the whole hill.

John9

From what I saw today this is not just a resurfacing situation, it's a base building effort to make it to normal closing dates. The loss of snow is staggering.
If it's like this now, we have 3 to 4 days of rain coming to the Poconos and Catskills.VT is a bit better off.

SIKSKIER

This is actually shaping up just like last year.Very similar 70 degree temps almost exactly a year ago though we were in worse shape.Cannon GM announced they were not done making snow yet.Last year was the first in 40 that I have ever seen them make snow in March so it looks like 2 in a row.

SIKSKIER

Just saw this 11:30 update and it didnt sound too good as far as what the surfaces must be like ie frozen.

We had a staggered opening this morning as the groomers were, and still are, out on the hill making their magic happen on terrain. We currently have all scheduled lifts operating with the exception of Mittersill Double. The Tram will run with access to Tramway and Bypass only as all other upper mountain trails are currently being groomed out by our team. Next on the agenda is Upper Mittersill for the Groomers.

No terrain parks will open today other than Huckerbrook.

SnoDevil97

Loon posted they are blowing snow tonight. Good timing as I'm heading there with my kids tomorrow.

Jully

Loon posted they are blowing snow tonight. Good timing as I'm heading there with my kids tomorrow.

All the Boyne resorts are making snow this weekend. Pretty awesome move as they will get my business this weekend (SR, not Loon for me). Attitash posted that snowmaking is not done, but did not mention that it would be this weekend (I would assume they would have said so if it was the plan).

Nothing from Wildcat last I checked.

skiur

All the Boyne resorts are making snow this weekend. Pretty awesome move as they will get my business this weekend (SR, not Loon for me). Attitash posted that snowmaking is not done, but did not mention that it would be this weekend (I would assume they would have said so if it was the plan).

They are making snow only if mother nature allows it, she may not.

GregoryIsaacs

Looking at the webcams at mt. Snow now.... its amazing what an hour of natural snowfall (dusting) can do for optics. Looks like they are blowing on fan gun trails only.

Jully

I stand corrected here. Wildcat just tweeted a video of snowguns running. Snow report just got updated, upper lynx only right now. Not sure how the other trails are doing snow-wise.

Sunday River claims to have been making snow all day more or less too. Glad to see so many areas back at it!

jmgard

Was at Crotched yesterday... very thin at the top and bottom... gonna have to make a bunch more snow if they want to keep operating this year at all. I like that place but it is not looking good right now. Bottom of Plutos was clear ice or bare spots, easy trail off the top (Moon walk I think) was a mess, had to jump a little creek coming off Jupiters near the top of Valley lift. Almost all park features closed and some big bare spots in the landings of the few left open. Saw them close a few trails just in the few hours I was there. Always fun to ski in short sleeves but I'd rather do it in April...

Vaughn

Was at Crotched yesterday... very thin at the top and bottom... gonna have to make a bunch more snow if they want to keep operating this year at all. I like that place but it is not looking good right now. Bottom of Plutos was clear ice or bare spots, easy trail off the top (Moon walk I think) was a mess, had to jump a little creek coming off Jupiters near the top of Valley lift. Almost all park features closed and some big bare spots in the landings of the few left open. Saw them close a few trails just in the few hours I was there. Always fun to ski in short sleeves but I'd rather do it in April...

You see? Those vertical guys skied off the trails last week with excessive usage leading to an early closing!

This is a joke, don't @ me.